The inevitable pop top/canvas mishap!

• Thread starter Gazbibelots1860
  • Start date
Gazbibelots1860

Gazbibelots1860

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi, dispute usually being really careful about this, and largely putting too much faith in the bungee cord we bought, even with bungee around it, to us morning somehow the struts and canvas bent outward and not inward causing them and the canvas to get trapped in the mechanism! The canvas had already been damaged this way by a previous owner but some waterproof patches have done a great job in keeping it weather proof. I suspect we’ll need to add another one or two now.

I have a couple of questions.

The other thing that happened is when the struts got trapped it caused the aluminium roof to bend slightly at the edge but I was quite pleased to see it sprung back into shape when I opened the pop again. I want to check this hasn’t damaged how the roof seals closed though. If I press the roof hard there is some give/movement as if it’s not tightly kept in place. I’ve never had to check this before so want to know is this normal (the van is 2011 btw so not new!) I took a video but can’t be attached., should the outer seal on the pop top be clamped tightly shut?

Secondly, if we had to get a completely new canvas, is there a way of getting it done really well without using a main dealer? Would want high quality canvas that’s as good as what’s on it now. I’m sure this info is online but any guide on price would be good to know what the (financial) damage is!

Thanks

Summit in Bristol might be worth talking to ?

Ah they’re a platform/scissor life company. I’m not 100% sure the scissor mechanism is damaged tbh, more of the other damage
That’s the wrong Summit. The camper / Motorhome conversion and pop top company in Bristol

If you are thinking of a new canvas I would hold fire for a month or two. Recent canvases are not waterproof but the new waterproof design should be landing soon. Let others be the test bed & don't order a new one before we start getting confirmation that the new design works.

Just revisiting this again, is there anywhere. Apart from Main dealers I could get an original quality canvas replacement done? One thing I love about our Cali, compared to conversions is the thick fabric, I wouldn’t want to downgrade. If we could get a new style with the larger window at the front, even better, if that’s compatible with a 5.1 (2011).

Thanks

Just revisiting this again, is there anywhere. Apart from Main dealers I could get an original quality canvas replacement done? One thing I love about our Cali, compared to conversions is the thick fabric, I wouldn’t want to downgrade. If we could get a new style with the larger window at the front, even better, if that’s compatible with a 5.1 (2011).

Thanks
I can confirm that it is possible to get a newer style canvas with the large front opening on the T5.1. We have one, fitted by VW Camper Centre in the Netherlands (offical VW dealer). There's a thread bout it here. Our new canvas was fitted when the T6 was the lastest model. Also, we find the canva swe have now better then teh one we had originally on the T5. Deals with rain even better. Some people dislike the fact that it's lighter but we see that as a positive thing.
window-jpg.109951

Last edited:
I can confirm that it is possible to get a newer style canvas with the large front opening on the T5.1. We have one, fitted by VW Camper Centre in the Netherlands (offical VW dealer). There's a thread bout it here. Our new canvas was fitted when the T6 was the lastest model.
window-jpg.109951
Thanks! That link doesn’t seem to work though.

Would love to know if there is a non main dealer way of doing this also want someone to give a good once over of the mechanism, check no long term damage been done

Would love to know if there is a non main dealer way of doing this also want someone to give a good once over of the mechanism, check no long term damage been done
Editted the link. Should work now.

Kernow Transporters in Cornwall fit California hydraulic roofs to conversions so I would presume they have expertise in fitting the bellows, but as far as I know there are no third party manufacturers of bellows for the California apart from the T4 versions.
Kernow Transporters very helpful, worth a call.

At the risk of opening a can of worms, I would suggest you let the dust settle on "bellows-gate" for a few more months if you intend to get a new VW canvas; you'll get the latest version which has had a few issues (albeit looking a bit like it might now be sorted). Won't go into any more detail for fear of being "one of those" who derails a thread "with them bellows" . . .

Kernow Transporters in Cornwall fit California hydraulic roofs to conversions so I would presume they have expertise in fitting the bellows, but as far as I know there are no third party manufacturers of bellows for the California apart from the T4 versions.

Thanks for this!!

I also say do not get a new canvass. I've caught mine too and would like to replace them, but mine is waterproof. The new ones aren't. Stick some tear aid on it and hang fire for now. I do wish they would make some new old bellows

We had our canvas replaced by Kernow Transporters. They're a great bunch.

Back