The Luxembourg Project

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Is it time for free public transport within the UK to tackle our inner city pollution and congestion problems...?

I mainly ride to work, then drive the 5 miles if the weathers bad.
I could get the bus, just a short walk away. But don’t...

Think I would be happy to pay a little extra tax to cover public transport and would be happy to see a Motorway Tax similar to France.

Thoughts...

I cycle (electric max25km/h) 18km one way 4 days a week in to the center of Antwerp for work . Thats close to 150km a week i'm not driving a car . My current e-bike is close to the 20.000km point , imagine the pollution and cost i saved by doing this.I do get 0,23€/km taxfree on my salary when doing this.
The company i work for gives or the 0,23€/km if riding by bike or free public transport . One can't combine the two . And on top if using one of those benefits it means you can not have a parkingspace in the company's parkinglot.
Must admit i work for the local Antwerp governement , not all company's giving this benefits.

As for free public transport for all citicens , nothing comes for free it all need to get payed somehow....
And here in Belgium the public transport firms can not even assure the rides now for people paying , busses and trams overfull in the city's so i don't want to know what the free ticket-effect will be.

It's all the heavy transport/lorry's and to many company-payed cars (with fuelcard) that you will not get on busses.....

I like the idea but would it be fair? City dweller/workers get free transport but those of us that live out in the sticks and have to use the car and motorways have to pay a motorway tax.
I use trains where I can but I have to drive to my local (50 minutes to walk there) station where I end up paying more to park than my train ticket, so I drive.

We have to change...

I had a morning appointment last week in a typical commuter area. I drove at rush hour
The journey took 50minutes.
I’ve done the same journey outside rush hour and its a 15minute trip.

I was amazed how many cars seem to only have one person in the car and questioned why more people didn’t cycle or make alternative arrangements.
Every person looked miserable in their car.

I have an electric bike, but I can't really use it safely. My two options to work are a 70mph dual carriageway, very dangerous and not for me. There is a road route but the UK needs proper cycle lanes, I've only ridden a few times but drivers are simply awful as a rule, don't give enough space, overtake badly or even cut you up entirely. Put me off using it.

UK needs cycle lanes and a big change in attitude from drivers.

I have an electric bike, but I can't really use it safely. My two options to work are a 70mph dual carriageway, very dangerous and not for me. There is a road route but the UK needs proper cycle lanes, I've only ridden a few times but drivers are simply awful as a rule, don't give enough space, overtake badly or even cut you up entirely. Put me off using it.

I think that the potential to increase cycle useage is far greater in cities than between cities. Road parking space could be reallocated for segregated cycle lanes on key routes. London seems to be leading the way in this, unfortunately the new lanes appear to be mainly empty while the adjoining roads more congested than before.

Agree Matt.

We definitely need better cycling infrastructure.
We need to get on with increasing tax on motorists to plough straight into cycling/walking and public transport infrastructure enhancements. Money has to come from somewhere...
Change is happening, but far too slowly.

Amarillo, my local town has just announced a new inter-town connection route.
It really is needed

Probably get abused in blighty, people riding around all day
and setting up camp on the top deck.

Agree Matt.

We definitely need better cycling infrastructure.
We need to get on with increasing tax on motorists to plough straight into cycling/walking and public transport infrastructure enhancements. Money has to come from somewhere...
Change is happening, but far too slowly.

Amarillo, my local town has just announced a new inter-town connection route.
It really is needed

Motorists are taxed enough as it is.

By all means restrict vehicles from entering towns and cities but only after putting in place good out of town parking facilities and an efficient public transport system that can be afforded by all. Public transport debate is almost always centred on towns and cities where there are already reasonable alternatives to the car. But what about those many millions who live outside these areas who have either poor bus services or no public transport at all. Taxing the motorist will unfairly penalise these people as will burdening the tax payer with the costs of enlarging the cycling infrastructure that most will never use. Shouldn't any available money be best spent enhancing a public transport system that everyone can use, both young and old? Tax payers money should be used for the benifit of all.

Last edited:
Maybe Toll Cycle routes. After all cyclists don't pay any annual road tax or Insurance and many other forms of Highway/traffic taxes so a Toll makes perfect sense.
Car drivers can pay for access to town/cities and for Park & Ride as they do now. Certainly don't see why cyclists shouldn't pay for dedicated cycle roads/ways in towns which will be less congested due to Park & Ride and Congestion/Enviromental charges.
Pedestrians will be free.

Maybe Toll Cycle routes. After all cyclists don't pay any annual road tax or Insurance and many other forms of Highway/traffic taxes so a Toll makes perfect sense.
Car drivers can pay for access to town/cities and for Park & Ride as they do now. Certainly don't see why cyclists shouldn't pay for dedicated cycle roads/ways in towns which will be less congested due to Park & Ride and Congestion/Enviromental charges.
Will I be charged a toll if I get off and push my bike?

This is wonderful news @WelshGas. There is me, a cyclist, paying VED and insurance for all these years, and now for two vehicles, never knowing that my occasional use of a bicycle made me exempt.

I wonder if I can claim a rebate?

We need to encourage cycling and the benefits. Perhaps a tax reduction for cyclists depending on miles ridden over 12 months.
It’s proven that the benefits of a healthier lifestyle helps reduce the NHS bill...
Where as people who sit in cars, add to congestion and pollution contribute more damage to themselves and the surrounding environment...

Last edited:
This is wonderful news @WelshGas. There is me, a cyclist, paying VED and insurance for all these years, and now for two vehicles, never knowing that my occasional use of a bicycle made me exempt.

How much VED do you pay for your bike?

We need to encourage cycling and the benefits. Perhaps a tax reduction for cyclists depending on miles ridden over 12 months.
It’s proven that the benefits of a healthier lifestyle helps reduce the NHS bill...
Where as people who sit in cars, add to congestion and pollution contribute more damage and themselves and the surrounding environment...
Fine for city dwellers, as usual.

How much VED do you pay for your bike?

For each (we have 8 bicycles in the family) we pay exactly the same as any zero emission vehicle with a list price (including options) below £40,000.

On the face of it, compulsory registration and insurance of bicycles appears a good idea. A quick Google for the Swiss “velo vignette”, abandoned after a few short years, may help explain its shortcomings.

All our bikes are insured against theft, and family membership of the London Cycling Campaign gives us third party cover. However, third party cover for cyclists is not a legal requirement.

I have insurance. Third party cover through BCF as part of my Silver membership.

My Mitsubishi PHEV is £0 VED.

For each (we have 8 bicycles in the family) we pay exactly the same as any zero emission vehicle with a list price (including options) below £40,000.

On the face of it, compulsory registration and insurance of bicycles appears a good idea. A quick Google for the Swiss “velo vignette”, abandoned after a few short years, may help explain its shortcomings.

All our bikes are insured against theft, and family membership of the London Cycling Campaign gives us third party cover. However, third party cover for cyclists is not a legal requirement.
Ahh, but do you emit 0 emissions when cycling? I think not.;)

Glad to see someone fell for it.:bananadance2

Where as people who sit in cars, add to congestion and pollution contribute more damage and themselves and the surrounding environment...
So all bicycles would have a black box to count the miles and upload automatically?

Despite my tongue in cheek suggestion, motorists and general tax or Council tax payers will have to cough up and as in the Past the townies will reap all the benefits and those living outside will pay and reap none of the benefits just the increase in costs.

Even your suggestion penalises the population that lives outside the great conurbations .

So all bicycles would have a black box to count the miles and upload automatically?

Everyone already carries a black box. It’s called a mobile phone....

I see no reason why people who live on the edge of towns can’t cycle?
Those who live further could drive some way
and complete journeys via public transport if costs are prohibiting, remember I suggest free public transport for all, as in Luxembourgs experiment.

Despite my tongue in cheek suggestion, motorists and general tax or Council tax payers will have to cough up and as in the Past the townies will reap all the benefits and those living outside will pay and reap none of the benefits just the increase in costs.
Those living furthest from their workplace would potentially gain most from a per mile cycle-to-work tax break.

Everyone would benefit from lower CO2 emissions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Everyone already carries a black box. It’s called a mobile phone....

I see no reason why people who live on the edge of towns can’t cycle?
Those who live further could drive some way
and complete journeys via public transport if costs are prohibiting, remember I suggest free public transport for all, as in Luxembourgs experiment.
Those living furthest from their workplace would potentially gain most from a per mile cycle-to-work tax break.

Everyone would benefit from lower CO2 emissions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well you've both obviously convinced yourselves. Now all you have to do is convince the powers that be that this is the way forward.

I’m fully onboard Welshgas.
Drastic times require drastic measures...

I can’t for the life of me. Understand why electric bikes cost so much money.
I tried one out last week and the cost was eye watering. I could have bought an electric scooter for less...?

Back