Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Modifications to your Cali Thread

After buying my 2015 VW beach which had sportline lowering springs and vw 18inch wheels, I decided to go for the bilstein coilovers b14’s (lowered 40mm ish I think) and went for 19inch wolfrace (fully load rated) wheels keeping the same rolling diameters as the VW sportline factory alloys.
I found the ride quality was far better than the VW lowering springs, no crashing or banging as before.
Just as an addition, I upgraded the front brakes to sportline disc’s and callipers to improve braking as we tend to fully load the Cali on trips with our 2 kids.
Added some pics to give you an idea.

View attachment 53034

View attachment 53035

View attachment 53036
I've done the caliper upgrade on my beach and run 18s. Looking to book b14s come the new year, already done the arbs. Still undecided if I'm going to get the calipers painted.
Nice looking beach

We Brits don't really go in for gushing displays of emotion. If someone you knew went around with a big cheesy grin on their face you would naturally think they were up to something. Accordingly, the T6-1 doesn't look as if it can be trusted.

Give me a sober and dependable T6 any day. :thumb

It’s definitely grown on me from when I first seen it....

Last edited:
[The Calipers look great, did you paint them or is that how they come...?]

I bought the new sportline Calipers and discs from Raceline, then primed\sprayed\baked them before fitting, a lot easier off the vehicle. They are so easy to clean now, brake dust just flies off with a blast of the jet wash.
Just thinking about what next to modify, wheel spacers possibly but only on the rear, not sure if that OK!!

I fancy spacers too.
Still a bit unsure. But wouldn’t go to crazy. I thought about 20mm would be ok and stick to a decent make like H&R

Weird, I’m really struggling to like it...
They have proper f@#ked the front end. It’s not growing on me at all.
Can only hope someone develops a spoiler to fit over and change the look...

Maybe a little too much by way of your thinking but I did love the look of this new Ocean with a ABT bodykit that we hired earlier this year :

View attachment 53100
View attachment 53101
View attachment 53103

View attachment 53102
I wouldn't dream of saying anything if were your van but since you hired, it's fair game. :thumb

I had a VW front spoiler kit on our SE. It was an ex demo vehicle that they had thrown everything at. The spoiler and the Pearlescent Black paint were the only two things we didn't like. Unfortunately they had just stopped production of the T5-1 and I didn't want to wait for a T6 so we bought it. However I did ask the dealer if they could remove the front spoiler thingy and he said alas no, it was bonded on. We did get used to its look in time even though I would have preferred not to have had it.

On the other hand not even it's mother could love that T6 front spoiler. Beauty is definately not in the eye of this beholder. What an ugly mess! There, I've said it.

I wouldn't dream of saying anything if were your van but since you hired, it's fair game. :thumb

I had a VW front spoiler kit on our SE. It was an ex demo vehicle that they had thrown everything at. The spoiler and the Pearlescent Black paint were the only two things we didn't like. Unfortunately they had just stopped production of the T5-1 and I didn't want to wait for a T6 so we bought it. However I did ask the dealer if they could remove the front spoiler thingy and he said alas no, it was bonded on. We did get used to its look in time even though I would have preferred not to have had it.

On the other hand not even it's mother could love that T6 front spoiler. Beauty is definately not in the eye of this beholder. What an ugly mess! There, I've said it.

LOL. I do take your point, I can see looking at it now post hire how busy (messy?) it looks. Admittedly the bodykit and 20" wheels do appeal to my (still trying to cling on) youth however I do prefer the natural shape and uncluttered lines of a factory California. I would have to think twice before buying a Cali with such a bodykit, if the alternative was an option.

LOL. I do take your point, I can see looking at it now post hire how busy (messy?) it looks. Admittedly the bodykit and 20" wheels do appeal to my (still trying to cling on) youth however I do prefer the natural shape and uncluttered lines of a factory California. I would have to think twice before buying a Cali with such a bodykit, if the alternative was an option.
Whilst they aren't my thing, I don't have anything against these sort of accessories. VW vans have always been accessorised and customised. That's part of their appeal and long may that continue. However surely someone could come up with something better looking that that ugly monstrosity.

I'm all for something that adds to the capability of the vehicle or adds some form of protection, but many of the " Accessories " sold don't Add but Diminish the ability/functionality of the vehicle.

20s look good, but are far to big for the California to run comfortably.
I had 18s on my old van and I thought the ride was spot on. Still plenty of rubber on the tyres too.
Think they were
245/50/18

I don't really understand the hyperbole surrounding the T6-1. It's a T6 with some, mostly unnecessary minor styling changes. Are they improvements? Well that depends on your opinion I suppose. Some people will think it's gorgeous and that's fine. However as far as I'm concerned they have gone some way to turning a silk purse into a sow's ear.

The front end re-style looks like the plastic surgeon didn't leave enough slack. And what's with that huge black bone? Compare the new look with the understated T6 and IMO it's a case of more is much less.

Then there's that new dash. They have replaced a simple but classy, well proven symetrical design with a bunch of confused contemporary nonsense that looks as if it's been salvaged from a crash test. At least they've filled it full of pretty lights so you might not notice quite how hideous the whole thing looks. The emphasis is on form and function appears come in a very distant second.

So my point is that VW seem to have done something to one of their iconic models that will be liked by some but not others. Twas always thus you might say but perhaps not so much in the case of the Cali, until now. So have they created a bit of a Marmite model? I don't think you could say the same about the previous T6. To add to this there is also the fact that we will now have two Oceans and no Beach in the UK. It will be interesting to see what happens to their sales figures for the T6-1.

Last edited:
Exactly what I have always said about T5.1 vs T6. I am still waiting for VW to convince me that they have come (rightly so, but embarrassingly late in the game), to an epiphany.

Exactly what I have always said about T5.1 vs T6. I am still waiting for VW to convince me that they have come (rightly so, but embarrassingly late in the game), to an epiphany.

I agree but at least VW announced that they had made several thousand changes to the T6. This time they appear to have only made several and then arguably, not necessarily good ones. Frankly having owned both the T5-1 and T6 models at the same time those several thousand changes added very little to the ownership experience.

The upstairs beds different better
The canvas is different better
The control panel is different better
The cupboards are different better
The front is different (not sure it’s growing on me)
The colours have expanded
The wheels are different
The dash is different
the led F&r lights are different
Interior colours different
The comfort mattress is different
The bed is different lounge mode.
The emissions are apparently better
There’s only so much you can do to a van size conversion classic layout

The upstairs beds different better
The canvas is different better
The control panel is different better
The cupboards are different better
The front is different (not sure it’s growing on me)
The colours have expanded
The wheels are different
The dash is different
the led F&r lights are different
Interior colours different
The comfort mattress is different
The bed is different lounge mode.
The emissions are apparently better
There’s only so much you can do to a van size conversion classic layout
Preparation for the T7.

Preparation for the T7.

Its funny you should mention the T7 because the chap at Liverpool suggested that the T6.1 is offering lots of standard equipment in prep for the T7 coming in what he thought would be around 3 years time.