The New Beach "kitchen" and retrofitting

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I am sorely tempted once the new 6.1 beach is released to see if the the "kitchen" can be retrofitted. VW are renowned for trying change as little as possible to keep costs in check. I wouldn't be surprised if the part fitted straight in place of the current one, or maybe i am just being hopeful. As VW are doing several beach models with the same base vehicle it may be the same pattern.

I don't use the upper pockets and cup holders much so wouldn't miss them.

May be steep though, the plastic parts normally arent too bad but the cooker may be eye watering. Hoping they do release the beach in the UK so I can get a look at one and compare.

There is definitely a different shape at the bottom where it comes out further all across and hold the gas bottle. Should not effect the runner?

There is also a new section by the seat which looks like the useless caravelle 12v socket on it today.

I agree, it looks like it should be a straight forward job. Out with the old trim panels and in with the new, mit shiny stove, although I suspect the gas cabinet would require a vent in the floor.

20190903_164309.jpg

As for cost, that could put the whole project on the back burner!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Last edited:
True, if VW charge £500+ vat for a cupboard door, I imagine the price of that part could definitely burn...

It would be interesting to see what it would cost as the space is the same. Assume once the new one comes out the parts catalogue will be available.

I agree, it looks like it should be a straight forward job. Out with the old trim panels and in with the new, mit shiny stove, although I suspect the gas cabinet would require a vent in the floor.

View attachment 50470

As for cost, that could put the whole project on the back burner!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Are you trying to cook up an argument? Let's see how it pans out first.

You’d need to check the shade and finish of the plastic as it may be subtly different. I’d be surprised if you got much change out of 2k.

You’d need to check the shade and finish of the plastic as it may be subtly different. I’d be surprised if you got much change out of 2k.
Yes, that thought had occured to me too. However VW must realise that there is going to be a demand to retro fit these stoves, so I would guess that they will have, at the very least, discussed this potential market. Hopefully they may have taken the shades of plastic used and price into account.

Anyway even if the T6-1 plastic trim are a different colour, it may just be a case of doing limited production runs using the pre T6-1 plastic shades. I imagine the trim panels are injection moulded so all they'd have to do is change the shade of plastic granules that are fed into the moulding machines. So the questions are:
1. Have they designed the Beach "kitchen" with a view to after market sales as well?
2. If they have, will the cost make this stove etc a worthwhile aftermarket addition?

I love the way we all think.

Could I improve what I have with a mod, a retrofit etc.

It does look as if the panels are similar, although it does look like the 240 and 12v outlets have been removed on the shiny new one. Not sure where they are but the current version (no pun intended) does seem better.

The new panel shows how much dead space there must be behind that panel. Ultimately though, irrespective of cost do I really want/need a built in one burner stove for £££ or €€€. Nope, I'm a Beach owner :) Lets cook outside or inside with a stove that suits our personal needs at a sensible cost.

I love the way we all think.

Could I improve what I have with a mod, a retrofit etc.

It does look as if the panels are similar, although it does look like the 240 and 12v outlets have been removed on the shiny new one. Not sure where they are but the current version (no pun intended) does seem better.

The new panel shows how much dead space there must be behind that panel. Ultimately though, irrespective of cost do I really want/need a built in one burner stove for £££ or €€€. Nope, I'm a Beach owner :) Lets cook outside or inside with a stove that suits our personal needs at a sensible cost.
I tend to agree. It is a great piece of kit and I may have a look at fitting one one day subject to cost. However, cooking and heating water has never been an issue with our Beach and I do actually do that outside on the vast majority of occasions. There are several reasons:
1. It's safer.
2. It's cleaner.
3. It doesn't make the van smell of cooking.
4. But mainly because I prefer to cook outside when camping. It's part of that outdoorsy thing that's gives that sense of freedom.

I tend to agree. It is a great piece of kit and I may have a look at fitting one one day subject to cost. However, cooking and heating water has never been an issue with our Beach and I do actually do that outside on the vast majority of occasions. There are several reasons:
1. It's safer.
2. It's cleaner.
3. It doesn't make the van smell of cooking.
4. But mainly because I prefer to cook outside when camping. It's part of that outdoorsy thing that's gives that sense of freedom.
I do too, but our recent trip has made us really think about how we use our beach.

We mostly cook outside and used our Slidepod quite a lot over our 3 week trip but mostly for porridge, soup, tea etc. When the weather is bad however the beach can suddenly feel quite claustrophobic (I'm sure the ocean is no different). We use a Alpkit to make tea even outside but it can be used inside but cooking is a different matter we dont want to store extra cookers just in case, we are trying to travel as light as possible. This gets around all the issues we've had in bad weather plus I just love the design.

I'd be very interested in seeing if this can be done...though I dread the price of the parts..I think its an ingenious little design touch and even if you don't cook in the bus there's bound to be times when a handy hob to make a cuppa would be useful..
like the way the look is stealth .. no argy bargy with jobsworth parking attendants wanting to charge £20 to park on beach as you are a "Camper" even though huge SUVs are paying £5 ..

I'd like one of these too, though also suspect that it will be unnecessarily expensive. I doubt VW will have given much thought to retro-fits & they'll be far more interested them in flogging new vans, though they're complacent at best about that already ...

Some enterprising aftermarket firm will knock-up their own version anyway. I'd prefer not to lose a three-pin mains plug, but this would be a welcome "as well as" function to make a brew indoors on a cold day rather than messing with tables and stoves.

Thanks for putting the comparison together @MattBW - can we sticky pls, suspect this topic will run & run.

I do too, but our recent trip has made us really think about how we use our beach.

We mostly cook outside and used our Slidepod quite a lot over our 3 week trip but mostly for porridge, soup, tea etc. When the weather is bad however the beach can suddenly feel quite claustrophobic (I'm sure the ocean is no different). We use a Alpkit to make tea even outside but it can be used inside but cooking is a different matter we dont want to store extra cookers just in case, we are trying to travel as light as possible. This gets around all the issues we've had in bad weather plus I just love the design.
Yes, I agree. It could be a useful thing to have on wet nights where there's no eatery nearby.

Mind you, we have only ever carried a single burner 3000watt Campingaz Super Carena R stove with us. We have used it both inside and out and it has never left us wanting for anything else. I think it cost less than £30 and screws straight onto a 907 cylinder.

Screenshot_20190919-183339_Samsung Internet.jpg

Why do beach owners buy those expensive 907 bottles?

Also very interested to see if it can be done, looked amazing at the big unveil.

Back