Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The pics are up

Really like the double sliding doors, the new kitchen, removable chais in the back. Seems that there is however much less storage space in the boot and the upper bed is narrower as well (apparently 1.08m as 1.20 in the T6.1(?)).

Starts at 70K. I assume the PHEV will be considerably more. Not clear if there are standard leisure batteries in the non PHEV models. The induction hob will empty those rapidly.

Looks well thought out for the space available. The integration of technology is amazing and the quality of materials is fantastic, but it is a lot smaller than the current California. This means less storage. The two cupboards under the sink and hob are missing. Making the rear seats are separate means there are two smaller under seat drawers instead of one big one. The boot looks smaller too. If it was just myself and my wife it would be perfect, but a family of four and all their gear? I think I will wait until the new Transporter California is released.

Some tasty design features but i remember the Grand Cali concept looked amazing but didn't really deliver. Struggling to see how it can all be integrated with twin sliders. Rear seats also remind me of the poor Marco Polo downstairs bed. No side sliding windows for cooking? Jury's out.

Last edited:
Seems like an excellent day or long weekend vehicle. But add a couple of kids and/or dog with plans to take off for a month then the compromises will be very evident.

Stitching on the bellows looks a lot more businesslike compared to the T6.1. Triple skinned too.

The video (in German) does show a whole lot more of the deails:

Starts at 70K. I assume the PHEV will be considerably more. Not clear if there are standard leisure batteries in the non PHEV models. The induction hob will empty those rapidly.
I bet the induction hob only works on hookup. There is a gas hob as well.

The furniture look far more developed for a typical ‘concept’ vehicle. It looks close to ready for release to me.

Got to say… I don’t hate it. In its top spec all the bells and whistles 2 tone it’s a very nice van.

The engineers look to have done an amazing job with the space and some of the design touches are brilliant, from the winder location in the awning to the sliding hob and the in/out cooking spaces.

A while ago I did a pic with the current 6.1 and the LWB of this version on top of each other and the challenges were obvious there and remain on this itteration. The sloping windscreen robs you of usable length and the narrowing to the top robs you of usable width. Boxes work well for a reason in Campers. In the real world this looks to be a 20cm loss of width, meaning a single bed down, double up, or a very close night down.

Storage space is at a loss, there is very little. For ultra light travellers sure this is no issue.

For a single person, or a couple who would in all likelihood sleep one up and one down, this will be a very nice and modern, albeit expensive, campervan in this spec.

For us it would not work, we like our space and with a mini one on the way will need the room the 6.1 gives us. With a one year old van though we have at least 4 years left in that and would likely go up a size anyway.

Last edited:
Great video, clears some things up.
Looks great, nice colour scheme. Very high end interior with great new design features. (If Apple did campervans etc.)
Defo more mpv like and storage seems to take a major hit (boot, cupboards, underseat etc.
Looks good for a couple but not a camping family.
There's a lot of tech to go wrong in there long term.
Great concept, Think i would need the lottery win to afford that one anyway.

Got to say… I don’t hate it. In it’s top spec all the bells and whistles 2 tone it’s a very nice van.

The engineers look to have done an amazing job with the space and some of the design touches are brilliant, from the winder location in the awning to the sliding hob and the in/out cooking spaces.

A while ago I did a pic with the current 6.1 and the LWB of this version on top of each other and the challenges were obvious there and remain on this itteration. The sloping windscreen robs you of usable length and the narrowing to the top robs you of usable width. Boxes work well for a reason in Campers. In the real world this looks to be a 20cm loss of width, meaning a single bed down, double up, or a very close night down.

Storage space is at a loss, there is very little. For ultra light travellers sure this is no issue.

For a single person, or a couple who would in all likelihood sleep one up and one down, this will be a very nice and modern, albeit expensive, campervan in this spec.

For us it would not work, we like our space and with a mini one on the way will need the room the 6.1 gives us. With a one year old van though we have at least 4 years left in that and would likely go up a size anyway.
I pretty much just said the same. :thumb

Action shots. Its def not a looker even with 2 tone paintjob, The dark poptop cowl against the white looks like an afterthought.

Action shots. Its def not a looker even with 2 tone paintjob, The dark poptop cowl against the white looks like an afterthought.

I like the look of it and the white stipe on the pop top, with wraparound, but judicious use of a wide angle lens on most interior shots is not a good look.