Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The pics are up

We have 10 year old T5 cali and been waiting for the T7 as possible upgrade. Will be going for a T6.1 now. I knew the T7 would be more expensive, but I thought it would also be irresistible. A longer, narrower, shorter base makes for too many compromises, it is like a modern Bongo. If the multivan is such a suitable base for the T7 then why haven't we seen any multivan conversions?

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

I’ve been around long enough to hear people say that every new California iteration is rubbish / ugly and they are keeping theirs or buying the current model instead.

The new iteration sells in bucket loads and loads of posts say how wonderful it is and it’s the next iteration that’s rubbish.

I don’t see this being any different.

I’ve been around long enough to hear people say that every new California iteration is rubbish / ugly and they are keeping theirs or buying the current model instead.

The new iteration sells in bucket loads and loads of posts say how wonderful it is and it’s the next iteration that’s rubbish.

I don’t see this being any different.
Not the way I see it. The base for the Multivan is too compromised to be a practical to be a viable replacement for the Transporter based unit. If we were considering the Ford Custom Transit, based on what I've seen and read, then I would agree with you.

I like it. We have always travelled fairly light in our 5.1 SE and our daughter has grown up so it’s just the two of us in the van these days. This new model could work well.

It’s clearly not intended to be a practical replacement for the T5/6 based Cali. But there will be a larger one based on the upcoming Transporter, surely?

Not the way I see it. The base for the Multivan is too compromised to be a practical to be a viable replacement for the Transporter based unit. If we were considering the Ford Custom Transit, based on what I've seen and read, then I would agree with you.
Who has said the Multivan California is a replacement for the Transporter based California.
I want a Campervan for 2, with 4 seats for everyday use, self contained with no need for standalone awnings with a towbar bike rack for 2 bicycles. I want to park where I want with minor limitations and drive as well as many family cars.
If the production model is close to this concept then that will suit me especially a hybrid.

The seat contours are similar to a Beach, so a comfort mattress will definitely be required IF you want to sleep downstairs; This is take a substantial amount of boot storage when combined with the overhead locker. Obviously if there are only 2 people it’s not really an issue.

MyT4 Westy had the table under the rear bench seat. A real faff to use. In my 11 years of ownership I probably got it out a dozen times. In the T6.1 I’ve used the table more than that in the first month of ownership. It’s all about ease of use and accessibility.
In our 1971 VW Dormobile the table was stored under the rear bench seat too. It only took a few seconds to get out and fit on the side of kitchen unit, but everyone did have exit first. We kept it for over 30 years and everything still worked. Fun memories.

Who has said the Multivan California is a replacement for the Transporter based California.
I want a Campervan for 2, with 4 seats for everyday use, self contained with no need for standalone awnings with a towbar bike rack for 2 bicycles. I want to park where I want with minor limitations and drive as well as many family cars.
If the production model is close to this concept then that will suit me especially a hybrid.
Unfortunately everything that comes out gets compared to the ocean/beach cali.
The Grand and caddy both were, and now the multi van camper these are new stand alone new types of vans more option for the consumer.
Vw is massive money making machine, same as the others hymer, westfalia look at all the models they have.
The campervan:Motorhome market is so popular so they are pumping out more choice.
This isn’t a direct replacement it’s a mini cali with great new ideas, but the price is to rich for me.

I agree with others that express concern about storage space, the under seat drawer has been dispensed with completely and the wardrobe appears to have been dedicated to crockery, and whatever other space available has been given dedicated functions
Additionally the back seats would be impossible to sleep on without the mattress in the back, another big user of space
I really like the styling and also some ingenious ideas put in, as you would expect of a concept vehicle, but I doubt these will survive when essential space is restored
A campervan has many different uses, by different people with differing requirements as we all know with camping generally. This fundamentally means flexibility of space is a prime requirement
Nice try but a miss for me, hopefully some of the ideas will make it through
At of course the right price, which as it stands I doubt it would be, for one give up on the hybrid idea, two engines, more batteries, more cost and by the time it gets to market, there will only be one game in town

Don’t find the rear visibility on my T6.1 that good, headrests get in the way, if folded down takes up valuable boot shelf space, this looks worse though. Lack of storage is the main negative for me. Needs a bench seat in the rear.
A bench seat would certainly give better storage but would be much heavier. However, with the separate seats you have that cool feature where you turn them round and admire the view out of the back of the van.
… of course in that view you will also have the multiplex board, mattress, your bedding and all the other contents of your boot :eek:

Lots of nice features!! For me the top bed width of 112cm is a no go. The ´tentbed’ being one of the most important areas of the van (and already not too large), really needs the actual width of 120cm. Or am I wrong about the sizes?

It looks as though the top of the multivan tapers in, unlike the squarer T5/6, which would explain the narrower roof bed. I can see how it could be a good single vehicle solution, but going over 5m probably makes it too cumbersome in the real world.

The seat contours are similar to a Beach, so a comfort mattress will definitely be required IF you want to sleep downstairs; This is take a substantial amount of boot storage when combined with the overhead locker. Obviously if there are only 2 people it’s not really an issue.
Looks at least twice as thick as the current discomfort mattress. Hopefully the new one is a little more forgiving.

It looks as though the top of the multivan tapers in, unlike the squarer T5/6, which would explain the narrower roof bed. I can see how it could be a good single vehicle solution, but going over 5m probably makes it too cumbersome in the real world.
The length is a big downside for me. And you don’t get a corresponding benefit of inside space.

How many versions of the California can the market take? Caddy, multivan, transporter, crafter. Feels like the multivan is a replacement for either the Caddy Cali or the transporter Cali. But I may be wrong. It will be interesting to see how the ‘Cali Universe’ pans out.

Well I am both impressed and disappointed with this release. Impressed by the boldness of design and willingness to innovate, and disappointed, as others have said, with the emphasis on gimmicks rather than practicality. Having said that, a lot of the video reviews are not really helping. Everyone seems so obsessed with a tiny rechargeable table light but no-one has really looked in all the cupboards! And I think the obvious lack of storage seems much worse when we are not even shown the cupboards. First, there are still 2 under seat drawers in the back seats, albeit smaller than the one large one in the current bench seat. Then, to the left of the cooker where the wardrobe should be, there seems to be 2 shelved cupboards above the worksurface in addition to the curved door cupboard accessed from the boot. There is also at least one cupboard under the work surface .... some of the video reviews do show this, I think one in German from memory. One of the reviewers helpfully gets a tape measure out so on to the beds. I think the upstairs goes from 2000x1200 to 2005x1120 and downstairs from 1970x1120/1000 (reduces towards the feet) to 1990x1080 ... so both are appreciably narrower where it counts.
On to the boot. Under the bed seems to change from 340x770x1000 to 370x800x870 Narrower and shorter but deeper and in total very similar cubic space.
I like the access to the fridge and ability to cook "outside" though this is clearly an advantage if you holiday in the Med in Summer but of less use in Scotland, well, any time of the year. I really don't see why we can't have 2 tables, there are 2 sliding doors to put them in after all, and I don't like the idea of going out in the rain to get a table.(Taking the table out of the boot would also increase depth of storage to 400.) I am pretty sure we won't be buying cutlery and crockery from VW... those shelf inserts are just embellishments a bit like a show home to show a lifestyle, but I also wonder what else will be lost before a 2024 release.
So, in summary, quite exciting ideas, less practical than T6 and more cramped, but as ever, if these compromises work for you then it might be OK. For me, hybrid power would be huge for use as daily drive and the compromises may work as a 2 person camper.

FWIW I think they’ve done a good job within the constraints of the base vehicle. It'll find a decent market as a daily driver + summer weekender for couples.

A lot of people daily their Oceans (me included) but judging by the very low mileage of many T6 variants many don’t. If there is a decent size market for people to leave a £70k van on the drive most of the year there is certainly a market for this multi van version. VW will have done their homework and time will tell if they’ve got it right or not.

I don’t think we should view this concept as an Ocean replacement - that will surely come with the VW/Ford van collaboration as a base. A Beach version of the concept could be interesting and if some of the interior innovations make it into the 'proper' T6.1 replacement (which will more spacious than it’s predecessor) then I think that will be a winner for many of us on this forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you spend £70k upwards on a camper it will have lots of gadgets and gimmicks we live in a iPhone/android world not a Casio calculator one anymore.
If this is the mini cali then it looks like the Ford/vw T will have some fresh ideas and the storage everyone wants.
Will the multivan be more expensive than the new T when it arrives if not then it’s £100k plus for the true ocean replacement :headbang :eek:
And yes I’m just guessing, not far off the £100k for a factory supplied cali now.

If you spend £70k upwards on a camper it will have lots of gadgets and gimmicks we live in a iPhone/android world not a Casio calculator one anymore.
If this is the mini cali then it looks like the Ford/vw T will have some fresh ideas and the storage everyone wants.
Will the multivan be more expensive than the new T when it arrives if not then it’s £100k plus for the true ocean replacement :headbang :eek:
And yes I’m just guessing, not far off the £100k for a factory supplied cali now.

It might be time for a rebrand, I’m not sure volks wagen ie people’s car holds much credibility any more with £100k vans!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone wondered where the window blinds are? Not seen anything about blinds in any videos to date.