Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Right to Drive - Discuss.

If all vehicles were fully autonomous then fine as long as the concept works as intended with no glitches or software issues. However that's not going to happen, at least for many many years.

If it eventually does then those pedestrians that are more interested in checking their phones than looking after their own and others safety will have no reason to stop doing just that. Many will just continue walking straight out into the traffic stream knowing full well that the traffic will stop. Also the anarchist cyclist who currently ignores the contents of the highway code will have no reason to change their ways.

My concern are the interim years where there is the technology looking after the driving 99% of the time but will still need the human behind the wheel to be able to take over in emergency (as is the case with the current automated cars). Without the engagement of the driver I can’t see them being able to be take control in an emergency in time to stop an accident.

My expectation is that initially there will be some sort of barrier between lanes for AVs in AV mode and lanes for non AVs. Initially selected sections of motorways only. I’m almost certain that there will be separation between AV mode and pedestrians/cyclists or very low speed limits where the two modes mix.

My car regularly "detects" things and applies the brakes. Sometimes it's bloody annoying when someone has turned in front of me at the last minute and there was enough time for them to pass safely.

A bit of thread resurrection, but I was glad to have AEB again last night...

I was driving home on the country lanes through the woods, pitch black, slight drizzle and a deer hopped out. AEB kicked in and slowed me down to within a metre of the thing. Had it not braked automatically I'd be calling the insurance company today.

On balance, I'll forgive it for all the times it gets it wrong. Last night it saved me a hefty bill and a load of aggravation.

Back