The silly things that make us smile

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Amazing how trivial issues can put a smile on my face :(

My sister needed a gas bottle changing for her caravan. We are away next week visiting Mum and I didn't want her to be without gas for her heater :shocked

So, as I was placing the order I thought "Alfie is still on his first gas bottle, 60 nights ......."

"It's still got lot's in it Jen"..... said the gremlin on one shoulder..... "might be empty" said the gremlin on the other shoulder...

Being a mean old bat I listened to the first more than second but in the end decided to change it even though it wasn't empty.

I hauled it out of the van, as there was a breeze blowing I decided to vent it. A two second hiss ..... and nowt! Not enough there to make a cup of tea with ......:D Oh was I smug......

I have always had the same dilemma with my caravans / Campervans.
I now have two 907s as one is for my bbq. One advantage is I always have a spare if one runs out and I no longer have to play chicken in the road.

904 as a spare, as I always run the cylinder down to empty.
904 in use at the moment with a full 907 as spare.

My sister needed a gas bottle changing for her caravan. We are away next week visiting Mum and I didn't want her to be without gas for her heater :shocked

So, as I was placing the order I thought "Alfie is still on his first gas bottle, 60 nights ......."

"It's still got lot's in it Jen"..... said the gremlin on one shoulder..... "might be empty" said the gremlin on the other shoulder...

Being a mean old bat I listened to the first more than second but in the end decided to change it even though it wasn't empty.

I hauled it out of the van, as there was a breeze blowing I decided to vent it. A two second hiss ..... and nowt! Not enough there to make a cup of tea with ......:D Oh was I smug......
Not related to gas but this made me smile.

Not related to bottle gas but this made me smile.
pic 1.jpg pic 2.jpg
On a Scottish campsite a can of Tennants lager had been cut up to be used for a makeshift repair in the facilities. I wondered if the inspiration for this repair came while the contents of the can was being consumed.

Last edited:
Not related to bottle gas but this made me smile.
View attachment 36418 View attachment 36419
On a Scottish campsite a can of Tennants lager had been cut up to be used for a makeshift repair in the facilities. I wondered if the inspiration for this repair came while the can was being consumed.
Similarly not related and a bit schoolboy humour but saw this miss translation on a laundry room dryer at a German site a couple of years ago.

Alan

IMG_1185.JPG

904 as a spare, as I always run the cylinder down to empty.
904 in use at the moment with a full 907 as spare.
How do you store the spare safely? It is the one thing I thought lacking in my cali - safe storage for spare culindrr

Just made us chuckle....

Away for a sneaky night minus kids and having been super organised on our recent Austria trip we just settled down to eat and after 2 glasses of wine.... looked at each other and realised we’ve not packed any towels or bedding.:headbang

Oh well we have coats, a heater if needed and wine, rum , beer & chocolate. I think we’ll survive.

How do you store the spare safely? It is the one thing I thought lacking in my cali - safe storage for spare culindrr
I store my spare in a Really Useful Box with all my other stuff under the rear shelf. The cylinder is unopened (with screw top still in place from the refill). Photo attached.

785D9584-4EC1-4E9A-A93D-B8E48D9DCA55.jpeg

482273B2-0BB2-4DF1-9E5A-09372F4142B2.jpeg

You don’t need, or require by law, special facilities to carry a sealed cylinder. You only needed a vented holder for an opened cylinder, hence the sealed but vented Gas holder.
So the spare cylinder is sealed from the retailer. Inserted in a foam block within a plastic box and positioned behind the bench seat. The box has a gas label on it, as does the vehicle.

Excuse my ignorance but are there any bottles with reliable gauges available?

Not that I know of.

You can try weighing, or use one of those strips sold by the club shop.

I'm afraid not. The Butane is Liquid under pressure. You will have full pressure until the last drop of liquid gas vaporises . The only accurate method is to weigh the cylinder. The cylinder should have Full & Empty weights stencilled on the side.
Some " Gauges " use temperature difference as a guide as the liquid gas cools when it is being vaporised but this only really works when you are using the gas at the same time.

I've never really fussed over it tbh.

A bottle lasts me around 50 nights. I often have a camp bistro stove in the van so can use that if I run out. If, like in this case, I decide to exchange because it's just convenient, after 50 plus nights I know I'm not losing much if anything's left.

I don't understand the value of the gas bottle strips for a Cali Ocean. The gas bottle is hidden away inside the water tank moulding in the rear cupboard and so surely you can't see the side of the bottle while it is in use?

I don't understand the value of the gas bottle strips for a Cali Ocean. The gas bottle is hidden away inside the water tank moulding in the rear cupboard and so surely you can't see the side of the bottle while it is in use?
Correct. Easier to Weigh.
More difficult to do that if you use the VW supplied Stop valve and Regulator.
However, I changed mine for a 1 piece Calor Campingaz stopcock/regulator and a quick release in-line fitting so very quick and easy to take out the 907 and weigh or give a quick shake to see if there is any liquid left.

You don’t need, or require by law, special facilities to carry a sealed cylinder. You only needed a vented holder for an opened cylinder, hence the sealed but vented Gas holder.
So the spare cylinder is sealed from the retailer. Inserted in a foam block within a plastic box and positioned behind the bench seat. The box has a gas label on it, as does the vehicle.

I have mine in the back under the bed jammed between a bucket and the bbq. Never had a problem with it!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Back