Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The start of the journey!

Yet again a dealer doesn’t fail to disappoint
I admire your positivity
I suggest a letter to the stealer, to detail the unrecorded faults and detail you request for the remedial repairs
I’m glad but also disappointed for you

What an extensive write up.keep up the good work,
Cali looks lovely

Yet again a dealer doesn’t fail to disappoint
I admire your positivity
I suggest a letter to the stealer, to detail the unrecorded faults and detail you request for the remedial repairs
I’m glad but also disappointed for you

Thanks. It was dissapointing to be fair. I had a few self-inflicted dissapointments, including at some point confusing two potential Cali's together and amalgamating the two...! When you turn up expecting a shower attachment, and not seeing it.... - but that is 100% my error there! :D It was on our 'like to but not must-have list' anyway. At the end of the day, the LEDs, AAC, reversing camera and windows were top of the list.The towbar was an added perk as we're simply a VW bikerack and towbar rack away from being fully prepped to bring everything we own with us :D But it didnt stop the drive home being marred with a bit of 'well, bugger. I feel shafted'. But at the end of the day, that ones on me.

Sadly, not even the greatest amount of optimism can overcome some of the experience though...

When you go to a main dealer, find tackled on silver door handle covers, and on their suggestion, remove them...only to find this....Without sounding elitist, this is the kind of tat that's thrown onto 150k mile conversions to hide their workhorse life - not a 6 month old ocean with 2.8k miles! I was expecting something pretty much prestine.

First step is to see what the dealer is going to do. Given it's on PCP, i'll be bringing VW finance into the fold. Given there's always the option/risk of returning it after four years etc, I'm not prepared for any of this to fall back onto me.

thumbnail_image0.jpg

thumbnail_image1.jpg

thumbnail_image2.jpg

thumbnail_image3.jpg

thumbnail_image4.jpg

thumbnail_image5.jpg

thumbnail_image6.jpg

thumbnail_image7.jpg

thumbnail_image8.jpg

thumbnail_image9.jpg

Assuming it is the factory fit towbar, the key may well be in the Towbar/jack/wheel brace stowage ‘box’ ie the black expanded foam storage which is attached to the base of the rear seat in the boot area.

Assuming it is the factory fit towbar, the key may well be in the Towbar/jack/wheel brace stowage ‘box’ ie the black expanded foam storage which is attached to the base of the rear seat in the boot area.

Nothing in the stowage box that I can see. I've attached a picture, as well as of the towbar.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to towbars. Green = stealable, or not? :D

thumbnail_image0 (1).jpg

thumbnail_image1 (1).jpg

Keep the picture though as getting the jack back in is far harder than taking it out. I know this from experience.

Great posts by the way. You are not easily phased.

I find it dead handy to keep a note on my phone which I add stuff to. Tyre pressures, wheel torque settings, dimensions of the Cali, pics of fuses and their function, bulb types etc etc.

Dead handy as I forget things these days.

Mike

Nice write up. A shame there were a few niggles, those door handles are awful lol.
I’m sure you still have a great van, remember the best bit about owning a Cali is the adventures it will take you on. Look after the black paint, it needs a bit of TLC to keep it looking nice. Have fun.

Insist on a new wing mirror and handles resprayed, full machine polish to remove scratches to body work, remove and replace Ocean sticker, all at a local body shop to you. (Your choice)
Have the body shop inspect the bumper from under the vehicle to check the cover is not actually covering damage / hole etc.

An additional key can be bought for the tow bar( suggest at the dealers expense) you should have been provide with two

PCP will no doubt deduct the damage if you hand it back at the end of the period !

Incidentally as you have Finance it will make it far easier to apply pressure to the stealer to correct all items to your satisfaction. The regulation is tight and the stealers can be fined heavily, VW finance will want none of that !

Because you didn’t visit the dealer, prior to agreeing the deal, it is classed as distance selling, the rules are quite different DYOR ( in your favour)

You have a very small window of opportunity to complain and get the dealer to make everything correct and to your full satisfaction. Don’t let the stealer delay at all ( they will try to play for time as they know the rules)

Wax on the trim, is actually a good sign ( it’s been waxed) Isopropyl Alcohol will remove that safely and leave no residue, other products available specifically for this.

Good luck, give em hell !

Nice selfies BTW :Iamsorry

Edit: did you pay the balance on a credit card ? Additional pressure can be brought to bear by your Cc company!

Last edited:
If you have not done so already save the sales images and descriptions from their website ASAP

I presume as you didn’t know you had the towbar key, they didn’t show you how it works?

Here’s a vid one of the members of the forum did, shows how to unlock and detach / attach

More on line Info if you care to search tinternet

The VIP section of the forum has a hand over check list, may be useful to use to check everything is fully in order I.e no missing bits.

You will need to subscribe to access the VIP content, but you’ll get a VWCC sticker for your van in return as well as a discount code for suppliers.

The dealer may offer a bike rack as a bit of “good will” I bagged some good will from a dealer when they messed me around during some warranty work.

Worth an ask, You travelled a long way at considerable expense and inconvenience!

Nice post. Our kids also love riding in our Beach. The view out is just so good for them. No more car sickness! Shame about those defects. Particularly the door handles. The rest of the things should be fairly easy to sort, but Perfecto’s advice above is good. Complain as soon as you can.

Way way better than a 140i! I learned long ago wife and kids don’t enjoy accelerating at warp speed 5 as much as I do, but they do like views out and lots of space for bikes, buggies, etc...

I agree with you maybe not 60mph but we relax and don’t rush in the California. It’s just pleasant and calm, and the views on country lanes are excellent when in a normal car you’d just see hedges!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice post, Can't fault your attitude I would have been devastated after committing to that expenditure.

Hope you get the issues sorted and you ad your family have some fantastic times away making lots of memories.:thumb

The dealer may offer a bike rack as a bit of “good will” I bagged some good will from a dealer when they messed me around during some warranty work.

Worth an ask, You travelled a long way at considerable expense and inconvenience!
Perfectos - fantastic suggestions and posts. Many thanks. I'll be composing a well articulated and justified position later tonight, following copious amounts of coffee after my workday today!

Some very valid and insightful points that i'll be sure to include. I've called up VW Finance today, who have also suggested reaching out to the dealer detailing the points, and assuming they refuse to rectify, then I have grounds to reject the vehicle. I dont want to go down that route ideally as 1. It taints the ownership and 2. It's undesired stress - but it's an option if needs be and hopefully the dealer will resolve.

Nice post. Our kids also love riding in our Beach. The view out is just so good for them. No more car sickness! Shame about those defects. Particularly the door handles. The rest of the things should be fairly easy to sort, but Perfecto’s advice above is good. Complain as soon as you can.

Way way better than a 140i! I learned long ago wife and kids don’t enjoy accelerating at warp speed 5 as much as I do, but they do like views out and lots of space for bikes, buggies, etc...

I agree with you maybe not 60mph but we relax and don’t rush in the California. It’s just pleasant and calm, and the views on country lanes are excellent when in a normal car you’d just see hedges!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The M140i was such a capable little thing, but trying to fold a toddler into the back, along with a buggy, all the paraphernalia, and the assumption that with a second, we'll have even less space with even greater requirements.....it sadly had to go.

Nice post, Can't fault your attitude I would have been devastated after committing to that expenditure.

Hope you get the issues sorted and you ad your family have some fantastic times away making lots of memories.:thumb

Thanks. At the end of the day, the Cali drives and the adventures are possible. The 'snags' can be fixed as and when the correspondence battle ends and the dealer addresses it. Time will tell!

Thanks. At the end of the day, the Cali drives and the adventures are possible. The 'snags' can be fixed as and when the correspondence battle ends and the dealer addresses it. Time will tell!
Best of luck.

Evening everyone!

Well, the week's gone by and by christ has it been ridden with stress. However, I am absolutely ecstatic to say that the dealer has reduced by stress levels considerably!

OnTuesday morning, the dealer received an email stating my concerns, my expectations and my course of action should they not be able to address them. They needn't have been, given what followed next.

I received a phonecall not an hour later from the boss-man himself, apologising and making one thing abundantly clear - the end goal was for me to be happy. Cost hadn't been mentioned, and the man was focused solely on my end outcome. I was expecting a cold and trasactional relationship after what I assumed was a scripted approach in events like this - perhaps it was - but there was sincerity behind it.

They reached out to the last owner and got the history of the vehicle - and a few whoopsies whilst reversing into the garage. The spare key was still in his posession too. The dealer apologised to me for the inconvenience and the poor experience, and they hadn't looked close enough this time.

We agreed the course of action - I shared my areas of concern, and he duly noted and provided resolutions. Ultimately, given I live 3+ hours away (Colchester vs Leeds), a trip up wasn't on the cards. Instead, I was to find a local firm that I have faith/confidence in to rectify the bodywork concerns, and they'd pay. So that's what I did.

Personally, I viewed it as a large figure that they wouldn't wear. I fired off the quote to the dealer, expecting to have a battle and added stress - afterall, it was overdue. An email comes back, asking me to call.

"We're happy to do it if it removes your dissapointment and brings it up to your expectations".

The Cali's now booked in for Tuesday 7th. I've also reduced some of the work I want undertaken as I want to take it to a professional detailer to do, to which the dealer are instead sending me a VWT6 bike rack.

Now, I dont often say this - but I truly am impressed. I since found out the dealer is a family-run business, with the boss-man the son of the boss-boss-man himself - and I couldn't have felt further from a corporate-experience.

For anyone looking for an honest, caring and committed dealer - reach out to VW Leeds. Their support and resolution of this matter has been first-class, and I honestly would travel the distance to deal with them again.

In contrast, I called up VW Colchester to address a warranty concern, to which I got told that to have warranty work carried out (manufacturer warranty, especially) that I have to have it done at the dealer I bought it from. Despite numerous challenges, confirmations, and vocalised confusion, I hung up. I might just bake the extra 200 miles to Leeds every service..... :D

A shame it wasn’t right in the first place, but what an excellent response from VW Leeds. A welcome change to hear good news about a dealer. Glad you are now happy Kallista and I hope you now have a great time with your Cali.
:thumb

Evening everyone!

Well, the week's gone by and by christ has it been ridden with stress. However, I am absolutely ecstatic to say that the dealer has reduced by stress levels considerably!

OnTuesday morning, the dealer received an email stating my concerns, my expectations and my course of action should they not be able to address them. They needn't have been, given what followed next.

I received a phonecall not an hour later from the boss-man himself, apologising and making one thing abundantly clear - the end goal was for me to be happy. Cost hadn't been mentioned, and the man was focused solely on my end outcome. I was expecting a cold and trasactional relationship after what I assumed was a scripted approach in events like this - perhaps it was - but there was sincerity behind it.

They reached out to the last owner and got the history of the vehicle - and a few whoopsies whilst reversing into the garage. The spare key was still in his posession too. The dealer apologised to me for the inconvenience and the poor experience, and they hadn't looked close enough this time.

We agreed the course of action - I shared my areas of concern, and he duly noted and provided resolutions. Ultimately, given I live 3+ hours away (Colchester vs Leeds), a trip up wasn't on the cards. Instead, I was to find a local firm that I have faith/confidence in to rectify the bodywork concerns, and they'd pay. So that's what I did.

Personally, I viewed it as a large figure that they wouldn't wear. I fired off the quote to the dealer, expecting to have a battle and added stress - afterall, it was overdue. An email comes back, asking me to call.

"We're happy to do it if it removes your dissapointment and brings it up to your expectations".

The Cali's now booked in for Tuesday 7th. I've also reduced some of the work I want undertaken as I want to take it to a professional detailer to do, to which the dealer are instead sending me a VWT6 bike rack.

Now, I dont often say this - but I truly am impressed. I since found out the dealer is a family-run business, with the boss-man the son of the boss-boss-man himself - and I couldn't have felt further from a corporate-experience.

For anyone looking for an honest, caring and committed dealer - reach out to VW Leeds. Their support and resolution of this matter has been first-class, and I honestly would travel the distance to deal with them again.

In contrast, I called up VW Colchester to address a warranty concern, to which I got told that to have warranty work carried out (manufacturer warranty, especially) that I have to have it done at the dealer I bought it from. Despite numerous challenges, confirmations, and vocalised confusion, I hung up. I might just bake the extra 200 miles to Leeds every service..... :D
Great news, glad its going to be sorted to your satisfaction. I would have thought any warranty work could be undertaken at any VW dealership.

Evening everyone!

Happy endings do happen, I’m really pleased the dealer stepped up and met your expectations?