Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The third most essential item - a coffee maker!

R_Sargeant_CH

R_Sargeant_CH

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
On our maiden trip, we discovered that our polycarbonate Cafitière was too small for two decent cups. At a show we found the Brutrek OVRLNDR Travel Press. This is a robust double-walled stainless Cafitière (French Press) with an ingenious separate compartment that holds the grounds. The coffee stays hot for a long time and does not spoil through being in contact with the grounds.OVRLNDR.png
Breakfast sanity returns!

I’ve just got one of these for my Cali and it’s so good I’m going to get another for when I’m in the office in London. I bought the Nespresso adapter too which is brilliant.

E9BC4F58-F118-4530-A971-C1C083FD85AA.png

How much!!?

I’ve just got one of these for my Cali and it’s so good I’m going to get another for when I’m in the office in London. I bought the Nespresso adapter too which is brilliant.

View attachment 91347
I have the same and I love it!

Have to say that that looks like a lot of faff for 25ml of elixir! Each to there own but 70 - 100ml is a minimum for this coffee heathen.

Have to say that that looks like a lot of faff for 25ml of elixir! Each to there own but 70 - 100ml is a minimum for this coffee heathen.
I tend to do as in the video - a shot of Nespresso and then top up with half a mug of boiling water.

But as you say, each to their own.

I tend to do as in the video - a shot of Nespresso and then top up with half a mug of boiling water.

But as you say, each to their own.
Ah, but does the Nanopress have its world championship?
The Aeropress has pedants across the world competing to make the perfect cup. Obviously if your water isn’t at 84°C then don’t even bother to apply!!!

Perhaps this isn’t the sales pitch I thought it was.

+1 for the AeroPress - packs small, easy to maintain and no messy grounds. Looked at many options from pumps to actual machines and the Aeropress, for on the go, beats them all.

Am I the only one who thinks the Aeropress struggles to make anything hotter than lukewarm coffee?

Another vote for the Aeropress. I'm my case the Go version. Brew technique is not what the manual recommends. I fill the chamber up to the ~ 3 mark using the James Hoffmann technique
https://aeroprecipe.com/recipes/james-hoffmann-aeropress-recipe This way I get a longer drink and dont need to topup with more water.
Dont feel its lukewarm at all but would always drink it black from the Aeropress rather than adding milk.

Am I the only one who thinks the Aeropress struggles to make anything hotter than lukewarm coffee?
Takes a bit of experimenting but I get on ok. I follow the founders instructions apart from the temperature which I keep at boiling rather than the 86 he prefers. I than top up with boiling water and then milk. An "Americano" effectively. I've used it with a hot milk machine as well and that makes a big difference. The main benefit for me though is the ease to clean. No grounds to rinse out and no pumps to faff with. Prepare. Pour. Press. Pop.

And the inverted Aero!....

//
The inverted method has been adopted by competitors and home brewers alike. However, to examine what makes it different, I reached out to the World AeroPress Championship (WAC) winner, Carolina Ibarra Garay. She used the inverted method when she won in 2018.
// (ffs!)

How about an Atomic for Cali based coffee:

My brother has one of the original ones in a much more battered state than the picture. Needs some new seals and a replacement knob for the water inlet as well.

And the inverted Aero!....

//
The inverted method has been adopted by competitors and home brewers alike. However, to examine what makes it different, I reached out to the World AeroPress Championship (WAC) winner, Carolina Ibarra Garay. She used the inverted method when she won in 2018.
// (ffs!)

Inverted Aero for us. Although TBH I'm not sure what difference it actually makes. Always get a good coffee either way up. (So presumably it also works in Aus/NZ).

Although devoid of chromey-bling, the Aeropress is the best coffee making gizmo we've ever found, we've been using for years at home and in the van. Utterly simple and takes about 4 secs to clean under the tap then ready to use again.

Back