Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The third most essential item - a coffee maker!

How about an Atomic for Cali based coffee:

My brother has one of the original ones in a much more battered state than the picture. Needs some new seals and a replacement knob for the water inlet as well.
Not a good advert from the makers calling it an EXpresso machine.

And the inverted Aero!....

//
The inverted method has been adopted by competitors and home brewers alike. However, to examine what makes it different, I reached out to the World AeroPress Championship (WAC) winner, Carolina Ibarra Garay. She used the inverted method when she won in 2018.
// (ffs!)

I’m in the van. I don’t want to be messing around trying to measure 90g of this and x amount of grams of water etc. way too much faff

Just bought an aero for my van. I have an espresso machine at home and have to say the aero is just as good as much less faff. May be down to my lack of taste though!

So then….all this coffee talk has convinced me to have another go with my Aeropress. I have applied myself a little more scientifically this time and am much happier with the results than I have previously been. I thinks that in a small space with limited facilities ease of use and cleaning is as important as the taste. My usual ‘go to’ is our 15 year old Bialetti Moka Pot but now I am beginning to appreciate the Aeropress a little more :)

Here is nice video that the Aeropress inventor made a while back. I do like the way he really keeps it simple :thumb

Just bought an aero for my van. I have an espresso machine at home and have to say the aero is just as good as much less faff. May be down to my lack of taste though!
We considered an Aero - ideal for use with the gas kettle. But the OVRLNDR has this handy "Thermos Flask" functionality.
For those who want to see a really obsessive Aeropress video:

Well team, having spent far too much time over the weekend ‘experimenting’ with my Aeropress and Moka Pot I have reached the following conclusion.

Aeropress wins if you only require ONE cup (which of course was the inventors intention) however there are just too many fiddly bits to carry and clean as far as I’m concerned. Also the repeated effort, or extra dilution, required to make two cups is disproportionate grief to reward ratio.

Moka Pot……. It just works, quick and easy or make coffee for two.

Also I note that due to the different types of extraction the Aeropress will always use between 1.5 to 2 times the amount of coffee that the Moka Pot uses. Although I would say that the Aeropress is capable of ‘smoothing out’ a cheap coffee so it could be argued that is a positive.

That’s it, I’m done …….. now if only I could get some sleep …………. ;):D:D

Well team, having spent far too much time over the weekend ‘experimenting’ with my Aeropress and Moka Pot I have reached the following conclusion.

Aeropress wins if you only require ONE cup (which of course was the inventors intention) however there are just too many fiddly bits to carry and clean as far as I’m concerned. Also the repeated effort, or extra dilution, required to make two cups is disproportionate grief to reward ratio.

Moka Pot……. It just works, quick and easy or make coffee for two.

Also I note that due to the different types of extraction the Aeropress will always use between 1.5 to 2 times the amount of coffee that the Moka Pot uses. Although I would say that the Aeropress is capable of ‘smoothing out’ a cheap coffee so it could be argued that is a positive.

That’s it, I’m done …….. now if only I could get some sleep …………. ;):D:D
I can’t fault your logic @chockswahay but I don’t like your verdict. I believe you have been tempted by the dark side with its prshhrp , prlop, prshr, prlop, Bubble, bubble noises as the coffee percolates and fills the air with creamy goodness!
The devil has won you over with all the theatre knowing all Aero has to offer is a slow, nearly silent, fart as the plunger is driven downwards.

It’s quality stuff, Aldi’s best.
Always got the aeropress just keep forgetting the coffee !
Amazing coffee is the cherry on the icing on the cake of adventure for me, a nice to have as the California is the key to outdoor adventures primarily.

I have an oomph in my cali, and also a lever presso, I wont even talk about the pressurised monstrosity I tried for a while.

That said I am very much in the Vario V60 camp now, just makes great coffee and cheap as chips.

I'm using a 9Barista device, really lovely coffee and just acquired a Knock Feld47 grinder, another beautiful piece of kit. Of course, I accept they're both silly money but the coffee is great.
Yup that’s exactly my set up too, works well if you’re particular about your coffee - which I am!

Back