The VW California and the General Public

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Stopped at some traffic lights this morning and there was a tap on my window. Next door was a Western Power Transit with 3 men in high viz jackets sat in the front.
How much did you pay for the awning mate? Told them about £500 but it came with the van.
Which converter did you use? I didn't , it's a California made by VW in Germany.
I've been looking for a new van camper conversion all over and they're either base vans or **** conversions.
How much did it cost? Expensive. The new T6 Ocean is just shy of £60,000 with a very high spec.
Not too bad compared with some of the **** I've been looking at. Who sell them? VW Commercials, with the vans not the cars.
Thanks mate. Then the horns from the cars behind as the lights had changed.

I'm sure VW would sell more if they were sold in car dealerships.

.......or cheaper.

I've given up trying to understand VW marketroids.

I always thought £50k was crazy. £60k is mind boggling stupid money. But then Volkswagen has no competition in the market and can charge whatever they like.

When I priced up a conversion the basic transporter quoted, 204 DSG $motion, was £35,000.

Add on to that the habitation equipment, pop-top, all the other bells and whistles and £25,000 for the conversion is not stellar.

Then add in the resale. Part of my 2 year project equation was to weigh up keeping the existing vehicle, X3, calculating the future depreciation on that and measuring the future depreciation on the Cali. If I sold my Cali now, discounted at 15% below quoted market values to allow for trade-in etc, then I will be £5,000 better off.

Not surprised by stupid VW marketing. Really surprised nobody else is doing not just decent camper vans but decent vans in general.
Koreans that are taking most of the car market lately have just couple crap ones.

Camper vans can only be VW. Anything else just isn't tennis. :agreed?

They seem to be selling 'em faster than they can make 'em already ...

I was at JCT600 in York this morning & they have a mixed showroom with Golfs mixed in with Caravelles etc, one of nearly everything there.

They are mixed in my nearest VW showroom. There are cars, suv's, a Caravelle, T6 Beach and Ocean customers are just pointed toward different sales staff depending on what they want. You probably wouldn't even realise you were dealing with commercial unless it was specifically pointed out to you as it just says VW over the door.

Actually there was not a single california in our whole country. I had to buy it literally never seeing a Cali by just examining the multivans.
During my order early this year one dealer bought a Beach Cali demo. It was bought from them in couple months. As of today there are again no Cali demos in our country. :)
No idea why they don't buy them to dealerships if they sell so fast.

I imagine it is just numbers. The overall sales compared with Golf, Polo, Croquet etc are minute.

Some interesting observations. Personally, I think VW does have a lot of competition. Some of the quality converters out there (Danbury, Westfalia) are capable of producing a number of highly innovative vehicles, with quality components. However, fortunately for VW, those same companies are charging a high price for their alternative. Hence The California still looks competitive within its field. That would change if they were to continually escalate their prices.

Back