Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Things to remember and how to remember them.

Ocean Spirit

Ocean Spirit

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I'd like to have a list of things to remember and how to remember them for the beginner similar to the the winter list I have seen somewhere on this forum. I'll start with a couple please add to the list via copy and paste :thumb There have been many things I have read and forgotten already.

1) Using Safelock with someone left inside will stop them being able to unlock from the inside. Not sure how you remember this one but if you make a habit of telling them to lock it from the drivers door button it's a good routine.
2) Use the auxilary heater for more than 10 minutes every month - Put a monthly reminder on your phone.
3) Remember when you are charging via electrical hook up so you don't drive off. Hang a note off your steering wheel.
4) Check the roof bellows (even with a bungee) when lowering. Think of the consequences, follow the control panel reminders and even if you have more than one set of eyes, stop on lowering once or twice more even if you are pretty confident.
5) Swivelling the front seats. be in 'P' or select a manual gear and release hand brake. Take it slowly adjusting back rest and arms of chair little by little. Practise.
6) Don't put fuel in water tank. Keep keys separate from ignition key and avoid letting others refuel for you.
7) Bike rack when reversing. Any ideas??

I'd like to have a list of things to remember and how to remember them for the beginner similar to the the winter list I have seen somewhere on this forum. I'll start with a couple please add to the list via copy and paste :thumb There have been many things I have read and forgotten already.

1) Using Safelock with someone left inside will stop them being able to unlock from the inside. Not sure how you remember this one but if you make a habit of telling them to lock it from the drivers door button it's a good routine.
2) Use the auxilary heater for more than 10 minutes every month - Put a monthly reminder on your phone.
3) Remember when you are charging via electrical hook up so you don't drive off. Hang a note off your steering wheel.
4) Check the roof bellows (even with a bungee) when lowering. Think of the consequences, follow the control panel reminders and even if you have more than one set of eyes, stop on lowering once or twice more even if you are pretty confident.
5) Swivelling the front seats. be in 'P' or select a manual gear and release hand brake. Take it slowly adjusting back rest and arms of chair little by little. Practise.
6) Don't put fuel in water tank. Keep keys separate from ignition key and avoid letting others refuel for you.
7) Bike rack when reversing. Any ideas??

7) Reversing with or without bike rack I would always recommend to have your passenger if you have one see you back, especially on campsites where it’s only to easy to clip something. If you have no passenger but have the opportunity have a quick visual yourself.
This by the way is a message to self.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7) Bike rack when reversing. Have your passenger if you have one see you back, especially on campsites where it’s only to easy to clip something. If you have no passenger but have the opportunity have a quick visual yourself.

7) Bike rack when reversing. Have your passenger if you have one see you back, especially on campsites where it’s only to easy to clip something. If you have no passenger but have the opportunity have a quick visual yourself.
8) Don't drive off with your dog tied to the tow bar. Whenever you slip your dogs lead over the tow bar, blue tack a picture of your pooch over the VW logo in the middle of the steering wheel to remind you to detach before driving off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8) Don't drive off with your dog tied to the tow bar. Whenever you slip your dogs lead over the tow bar, blue tack a picture of your pooch over the VW logo in the middle of the steering wheel to remind you to detach before driving off.
9) Awning, do not leave out unless experiencing very light winds, if in doubt fix legs to ground and attached stays. Position the legs to ensure rain cannot accumulate on the canopy.

Last edited:
Who's forgotten to run the heater over the last couple of months?

Remember to close the tailgate when driving off, don’t assume your partner has done it! :headbang

No alarm sounds, just a small indicator on the display. I only realised when I heard the engine of the vehicle behind. Fortunately nothing fell out ....

OK, I’ll rephrase that, no one “oop north” UK!

It’s OK fer you lot darn sarth in the tropics! ;)
I see,
has there been a real divide this year?
Since we finally got rid of that awfully long winter we virtually skipped spring and went into 18 degrees plus most days since with the majority being dry and 20 + :D
Hence my concern for cali owners forgetting to give it a blast.

Put an old velcro type cycle clip with the word GAS on it on the gas tap in the rear. When you put the gas on, remove it from the rear and put it round the steering wheel.
This hopefully stops you driving off with the gas left on.

I see,
Since we finally got rid of that awfully long winter we virtually skipped spring and went into 18 degrees plus most days since with the majority being dry and 20 + :D
Yes it’s been ok in the daytime but still cool in the evenings, only about 6 deg at Appletreewick last weekend. There was a “chorus of Cali heaters” to be heard in our part of the camp site! :D

Was that why you all had blankets round your knees in the photos?

I see,
Crikey we have abandoned the duvet down here with windows open since the end of May.
Cali windows open at night with fly nets in.

I thought that perhaps it was a local custom along with the horses head and the other things you previously mentioned.
"Midges" being code for naked stick beating. ;)

" 2) Use the auxilary heater for more than 10 minutes every month - Put a monthly reminder on your phone."

Why?
I often left the Eberspacher on my old Westy unused for several months, never had a problem.

" 2) Use the auxilary heater for more than 10 minutes every month - Put a monthly reminder on your phone."

Why?
I often left the Eberspacher on my old Westy unused for several months, never had a problem.
I'm just going on general consensus from posts on this forum that it stops everything drying out.
Whilst I'm sure not everyone will have a problem, keeping things running regularly prevents that seizure and other gremlins associated with things that haven't run in a while.
But I guess it's personal choice to believe in its worth.
In my teens, people used to run there old cars every now and then if they didn't use them regularly for pretty much the same reason. It keeps things ticking over.

What's the deal with number two?

"2) Use the auxilary heater for more than 10 minutes every month - Put a monthly reminder on your phone."

I haven't received mine yet but will have it next week. These lists are great :)