Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thinking of Hiring a Cali - Advice Needed.

D

davefevs

Hi, don't think I'll be in a position to buy a Cali, but you never know. Been looking at one today and they are absolutely gorgeous!

Anyway, I am a bit of a fair weather camper, although my wife has been a regular camper over the years. My 6 year old son suffers from a Muscle Disease, so uses a wheelchair for distances. He can walk and run a little, but his "battery" runs out quickly. We are finding tent holidays a bit of a faff, so have started looking at campervans. We have a 3 year old daughter too.

I would like to hire one in the summer, 1) to give my son an experience he might not get in years to come 2) if it works I might even consider buying one. We really enjoy are UK holidays and not being able to do things that other families can, would love to be able to pack up on a Friday evening and head off into the sun. Kids would love it!

But I am concerned about space / room. My son's wheelchair is relatively small and the wheels do detatch. Having had a look around a Cali today, it looks like their is plenty of room in the "back", either above the bed level, or even more if I put that bit up against the backs of the bench seats. At night, there should be room behind the front seats.

Anyone any experiences of a wheelchair in a Cali, or seen any other campers with one?

Also, both kids use car seats. Where do people put theirs at night....on the front seats?

One final point....I see one seller adsvertising Calis at a VAT free price because of disability. How long would you have to keep it to not have to pay any VAT back? The re-sale values of a Cali, looks like I couldn't lose?

Sorry for the rambling, really appreciate your views / advice.

Hi there mate welcome along.
I might be able to help but only a little. We have a sponsor on here who hires out cali's
He is called oli I'm sure he will let you know if he has had any disabled people hire before and the pitfalls. As for the vat I believe if you claim the vat back or don't pay it you will have to sell the van plus vat. I bought my van it was vat free because the private buyer who owned it first payed it. If the person claimed the vat back because they are vat registered then the next person who
Owns it will have to pay it or claim it back and so on. Hope I havnt confused you too much.
I do confuse myself sometimes.
Good luck with your plans.
Kev

Thanks for the reply. I'll see what Oli comes up with, but I can't believe it won't be an enjoyable family break.

On the VAT side, I googled it and there was a story of 6 disabled people buying up lots of high end cars VAT free with a disabled modification. They then took the mod out on day one and sold them for the plus VAT price. They went to jail.

Hi Dave and welcome, one thing you could do is buy a small pop up tent, you could then put the wheelchair, car seats etc.. Into it when you arrive at site freeing up room in the Cali.

Also like Kev said, I am also sure Oli will have few ideas for you aswell.

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry for the late reply, Ive been rushed off my feet this week. I have got your email today, and will contact you directly.

Oli - good to chat to you today. Thanks for all the info and options.

Even if the current insurance are too strict on cover on our beach wheelchair, that is not to say a one-off holiday insurance will be....so got some options!

My missus is an underwriter (by trade), so I'll get her to do the phoning around tomorrow...she won't get fobbed off!!

Did you manage to check the space in the front with the seats turned around?

For info the beach wheelchair is from www.hippocampe.co.uk. There website shows how small it folds up. We will have the middle size (128cm).

We've got a two-man tent, so that will cover the kids car seats and other odds and sods.

Thanks again for your help.

Great to speak again. Justin will be awaiting your call tomorrow.

:thumb

Oli - just to let you know, I made the call to Justin earlier and one Cali booked for August with Sun Canopy and Driveaway Awning.

Roll on August!

Campsite booked, Penderleath nr St Ives, a stones throw from where our friends will also be camping (Polmanter). Anyone been there? The people seem really friendly. Plus they've also offered to store our beach wheelchair overnight....so no need to find room for it when the beds are made up. Result.

Thanks for all your help in answering my noobie questions (you too Justin).

:thanks

Just need to pick 6 lucky numbers tomorrow to join this forum as a proper owner member!!

[Justin - re St Austell, I've been told that Porthdean and Pentewan are the best beaches in that area. I'll be there end of June, so will let you know before your visit]

Glad you've booked. You WILL have a brilliant week away.

Let us know if you have any more questions :thumb

My wife is now starting to take an interest....wants to know name and colour :thumb

davefevs said:
My wife is now starting to take an interest....wants to know name and colour :thumb

Will let you know once I'm back in the office Monday :thumb

davefevs said:

As it stands at the moment you are in Hayden (HY11DEN), which is a Natural Grey California, with all the toys including the Dynaudio stereo upgrade (£1000 factory upgrade)

:thumb

Just scanned through some of the pics on your website and there he is...looking great!!

Is there some bias that Oli's number plate appears more often ;)

All of our campervans have names, its all a bit of fun really, but we've found our customers like it;

OL11 SAR - Oli & Sarah - Myself and my wife
HY11 DEN - Hayden - My business partners son
AN12 ELA - Aniela - My daughter
HH11HAZ - Haz - My eldest son
LL11 LLK - Lilli - My business partners daughter

Last year OL11 SAR was on a Grey 180, this year its on a Candy White 180 :thumb

Justin

Got to say I wasn't that impressed with the beaches near St Austell. We ended up going back up the Fistral, etc.
If you're into water sports then Pentewan is probably fine. Although the signs are for the campsite, you can drive to the side of the barrier and park for free. Don't take the turning for the village.

Dave

Chaps

Only a week and a bit to go, so starting to think about what I need to take.

I know your website lists a whole host of things included in the hire....is there anything of note that you do include, that isn't on the list?

Cheers

Hi Dave

Sorry for the delay in replying, I'm off on holiday myself at the moment. The website lists everything they come with. You only need to bring clothing, food and bedding.

When are you collecting?