Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

This week I've bought '________' for my Cali

homemade flyscreens here. Mine was about £6

Bought a pair of Zoelzer kayak carriers, were delivered after 2 days and already fitted; now awaiting permit to go out... And made a cutting board out of some wooden parquet left overs - which also serves as a lid for the sink.
IMG_20200430_121750.jpgIMG_20200501_172529.jpg

I noticed a wooden ladder mentioned in another thread so approached the maker and arranged to have one made in oak. It is a lovely piece of work and very easy and comfortable to use. Far better than the sawn-off aluminium one we used previously. Although one piece it stores very neatly in the boot. (Albeit I don’t have the single drawer fitted)

21AD3CBA-4EA0-4888-B1D6-335A16DCAEDE.jpeg

EEC03EBF-2C96-4903-A5C2-1B57061EF953.jpeg

I noticed a wooden ladder mentioned in another thread so approached the maker and arranged to have one made in oak. It is a lovely piece of work and very easy and comfortable to use. Far better than the sawn-off aluminium one we used previously. Although one piece it stores very neatly in the boot. (Albeit I don’t have the single drawer fitted)

View attachment 58364

View attachment 58365
Nice looking but a tad heavier than an alu one.

a biolite camp stove , in case the camping gaz runs out
+ it's a nice little ' allowed' campfire on chilly evenings ( + the joy of fiddling with small twigs)
+ it charges my phone and powerbank
+ i can use it when trekking ( and no more search for camping gaz when i travel by plane )
This is wat you need to make 10 liters of 40 degree celsius(in the bucket there is a small usb fishtank pump)
and the spiral is 2meters of 8mm copper tube.
biolite boiler.jpg

Yeah, that'll be my plan too, when I get around to it I'll buy some mesh/netting and do-it-myself. But will defenitely look at the maxxcamp one for inspiration as I believe its one of the nicest ones.
If you're going to anywhere with midges, they are much smaller than mozzies so check the guage of the net.

Ikea do a pair of net curtains for £5.

I bough yet another new speaker. Was thinking about the Sonos Move since we have Sonos at home but decided the price was a bit too hefty.
I decided on a Geneva Touring S+ http://eu.genevalab.com/product/touring-s-plus/

FM, DAB and Bluetooth. Works pretty well but no match for our Sonos Play 1 speakers obviously.

This is wat you need to make 10 liters of 40 degree celsius(in the bucket there is a small usb fishtank pump)
and the spiral is 2meters of 8mm copper tube.
View attachment 62552
Brilliant idea and love the ingenuity.

I get a real sense of satisfaction using foraged fuels (pinecones are good but if they're not dried out smoke a lot and leave a little residue, dried dung is also okay, but burns quickly. Twigs and small branches are all over the place and lots already dried out. I collect mine when out walking with the dog.

You'd need alternative fuel if on a site that doesn't allow fire/flame. Apart from the wait for it to be ready, I'm wondering if charcoal would work. Have you used charcoal in the stove before (not just for the shower), Lin?

I use a kellie kettle for water and then fill our quechua hand pumped shower. Like the look of your stove - does it charge USB?

Dear Elly We've tried charcoal but that didn't work with our stove.We use the same decathlon shower and if we are hooked up then we use our electric kettle but when we are not we use the biolite It makes his own energy for a fan (that gives the fire more oxygen to the fire and therefor no smoke)and you can charge your phone or in this case to give power to the fish tank pump.biolite working.jpg

Dear Elly We've tried charcoal but that didn't work with our stove.We use the same decathlon shower and if we are hooked up then we use our electric kettle but when we are not we use the biolite It makes his own energy for a fan (that gives the fire more oxygen to the fire and therefor no smoke)and you can charge your phone or in this case to give power to the fish tank pump.View attachment 62568
I think that's a fabulous idea and great use of such a multipurpose bit of kit. I looked at this once and nearly went for it. How well does it charge USB, Lin?

If you're going to anywhere with midges, they are much smaller than mozzies so check the guage of the net.

Ikea do a pair of net curtains for £5.
To be midge proof you need a mesh with a minimum of 600 holes per square inch. Anything less will let the little blighters through.

So 1mm x 1mm holes
Yes, but that's the max you would want. I would try and go for a finer guage to guard against midget midges. They're tenacious little devils!

A mosquito needs an 8mm hole.

Whatever little flying horrors we're battling against we need to have the right mesh guage, make sure there's no gaps in the installation and keep an eye for tears and rips and repair straight away.

Last edited:
Dear Elly We've tried charcoal but that didn't work with our stove.We use the same decathlon shower and if we are hooked up then we use our electric kettle but when we are not we use the biolite It makes his own energy for a fan (that gives the fire more oxygen to the fire and therefor no smoke)and you can charge your phone or in this case to give power to the fish tank pump.View attachment 62568
That looks great and I showed it to my son who has a camper van. He said why not just put a kettle on the stove! ;)

I admire the ingenuity though!:D

So 1mm x 1mm holes
@Elly Swanson @Wesel
You got me wondering now........... so went to look at our side window nets that my wife made a couple of years back and a 600 mesh clearly wrong. 600 mesh screens are not midge proof - sorry I misled you earlier. (Less haste more speed!)
If I count the little squares inside the big ones and at a rough estimate say the big ones are about 1 mm sq then I calculate 3 x 25 x 5 x 25 I get a mesh of 9,375/sq inch! No midge will get through this mesh.
Here is a photo of our side screen mesh to help.
This web site might be able to help you too. https://www.midgie.net/netting.htm
Once again sorry about my earlier haste and I hope the above is making more sense.

IMG_4553.JPG

Last edited:
@Elly Swanson @Wesel
You got me wondering now........... so went to look at our side window nets that my wife made a couple of years back and a 600 mesh clearly wrong. 600 mesh screens are not midge proof - sorry I misled you earlier. (Less haste more speed!)
If I count the little squares inside the big ones and at a rough estimate say the big ones are about 1 mm sq then I calculate 3 x 25 x 5 x 25 I get a mesh of 9,375/sq inch! No midge will get through this mesh.
Here is a photo of our side screen mesh to help.
This web site might be able to help you too. https://www.midgie.net/netting.htm
Once again sorry about my earlier haste and I hope the above is making more sense.

View attachment 62602
This link is interesting. They say they use a 2,500 hole per square inch net. So about 1/2 mm x 1/2 mm holes.

1/2 mm holes = approx 50 x 50 per sq inch so yes 2,500 holes.

I think that's a fabulous idea and great use of such a multipurpose bit of kit. I looked at this once and nearly went for it. How well does it charge USB, Lin?
When it is ful burning it is the same as a nomal usb port

Back