Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Three most useless things to take away with you in a Cali

Having used Discover Media extensively, and nearly exclusively, around Europe, I can report that it has its quirks, such as guiding off motorways then back on the same junction or routing along unpaved roads when shortest route is selected, but it is absolutely superb once you learn to ignore some of its oddities.

However, I moved directly from using paper maps and my own notes to Sat Nav in March 2017 when we bought Amarillo.

1. The electro/hydraulic roof mechanism. It's unnecessary and it's future proofing VW's workshop income.
2. The shower attachment. Who takes a freezing cold shower in the buff outside?
3. The Comfort dash layout. What's the point? It ain't comfortable and it's less practical than the bog standard van dash.

There, that should put the fox in with the chickens! :thumb

1) Me, I'm a well known waste of space ;)
2) The RNS315 sat nav data even with the latest version is 3 or more years out of date
3) Awning tie down kit, if its windy enough to need the kit, it's windy enough that I'll end up winding it in anyway. Why do I carry this thing around and never use it? haha

Fuse panel - without a fuse allocation chart it’s useless.
Voice Control - apart from the fun of its random results not reliable. Mine insisted on tuning to Radio Shropshire whenever I asked for BBC Radio 4.
Front cup holders - how on earth did they not get laughed out of the design studio?

3) Awning tie down kit, if its windy enough to need the kit, it's windy enough that I'll end up winding it in anyway. Why do I carry this thing around and never use it? haha

I bought one last year and used it twice.
Not sure what the point is. I used to stick a peg in each foot and done.
I’m of the same thinking, if the wind is strong enough to cause a problem. It’s probably best to just wind it back in...

Newbies ... had our first 3 day trip to Galloway
rear rail cup and holder .... cause of 'rattle'
Mummy style sleeping bags (previously for camping) useless and too constrictive in the van... need to rethink this !

We’ve had a TV in ours - keeps the boys occupied on rainy days.

Frequently use a vacuum cleaner, our Cali gets into a right state at times.

Microwave when on hookup - I can see that would appeal to some.

We take a TV in the UK, especially when it gets dark early.
We also take an electric kettle, so we use the site's electricity and not our gas, same goes for a smal fan heater.

Suggestions from the OH as we are on a long journey.. it’s our new word game
1: Fish tank
2: tuning fork
3: parachute

Brilliant! Now we need someone to contradict you and give a use for them in a Cali.
Well people take their dogs with them, why not the Goldfish.
Tuning fork invaluable in setting up the In Car Entertainment System.
Well the Parachute, we used to use the material and cords to make awnings and shelters in the Scouts and just the business as an awning replacement.

Mummy style sleeping bags (previously for camping) useless and too constrictive in the van... need to rethink this !
We found the same with the sleeping bags, upgraded to two duvets, one under and one over. Much better.
You might want to check that the rattle doesn't come form the sliding table. If it doesn’t slide home press d against the cupboard behind it won't lock and it will then rattle. Sorry slightly off piste.

Well people take their dogs with them, why not the Goldfish.
Tuning fork invaluable in setting up the In Car Entertainment System.
Well the Parachute, we used to use the material and cords to make awnings and shelters in the Scouts and just the business as an awning replacement.
If I may say so, these uses, with the possible exception of the parachute shelter, seem a bit contrived. Do you actually know someone who has or is likely to take their pet goldfish on holiday, or used a tuning fork to calibrate their in car graphic equalizer?

If I may say so, these uses, with the possible exception of the parachute shelter, seem a bit contrived. Do you actually know someone who has or is likely to take their pet goldfish on holiday, or used a tuning fork to calibrate their in car graphic equalizer?
Not quit. But I do know a family who take their hamster in their Caravan, so goldfish in its tank is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Try out the Duvalays instead of the sleeping bags - works for us ,,,

Not quit. But I do know a family who take their hamster in their Caravan, so goldfish in its tank is not beyond the realms of possibility.

I am sure I’m not the only one to understand the difference between the practicality of a caged rodent strapped behind the front passenger seat and a goldfish in a goldfish bowl dangling from a Brandrup hook above the kitchen sink.

I am sure I’m not the only one to understand the difference between the practicality of a caged rodent strapped behind the front passenger seat and a goldfish in a goldfish bowl dangling from a Brandrup hook above the kitchen sink.
Isn’t the difference the water?

Back