Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule apex swing away bike rack - not legal?

• Thread starter thesquirrelpatrol
  • Start date
thesquirrelpatrol

thesquirrelpatrol

VIP Member
Hi
We have been researching bike racks for our soon to be received beach and came across the Thule apex swing away tow bar mounted bike rack. Can’t find it anywhere in the UK, came across one goggle search entry and suggested these aren’t legal. Does anyone have any experience with these or if in fact they are not available in the UK due to illegality???

Hi
We have been researching bike racks for our soon to be received beach and came across the Thule apex swing away tow bar mounted bike rack. Can’t find it anywhere in the UK, came across one goggle search entry and suggested these aren’t legal. Does anyone have any experience with these or if in fact they are not available in the UK due to illegality???
Yes, illegal in U.K. possibly EU as well. Doesn’t use a tow ball connection, but the American receiver hitch system.

Not sure using the American style receiver makes it illegal.

I do think it is illegal to actually use that hitch as a tow bar but as a mount for a bike rack I don’t see the problem.

Not sure using the American style receiver makes it illegal.

I do think it is illegal to actually use that hitch as a tow bar but as a mount for a bike rack I don’t see the problem.
I looked into this in the past for a Land Rover. That type of hitch wasn't available in the UK as it wasn't approved. I suppose you could make something up but I doubt if you would get it past the Insurance if you wanted to be completely legal.