Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule awning California Ocean 6.1

A

ANDREWRACHAEL

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We have a 2023 registered California Ocean 6.1 with a Thule wind out awning. Under the leg lift up cover there is what looks like a 6mm awning rail and wondered what that the intended purpose of that rail is for?
The reason for my question is because we have a Kiravans railsail from our previous T6 converted camper. The sail is very stylish and adaptable and we would like to continue using it with either the Thule awning retracted or in its extracted position to make a much longer awning cover.
The railsail has an 8mm kadar strip which would fit the near side awning rail or it would need adapting to fit the 6mm rail of the Thule awning.
I fear the railsail may cause too much strain on the Thule awning especially if used in it extracted position.
I cannot see it being possible to add a secondary 8mm awning rail on the offside without removing the Thule awning first.
Looking for advice, suggestions and solutions please.

Yes, the 6mm rail on the Thule awning is for attaching stuff, I've used it with a Vango driveaway awning (with the factory fit awning in and out) or a Thule sun blocker panel depending on how I've setup.

I don't think you'd have problems attaching your existing Kiravan but you would need a 6mm - 8mm kador adaptor like you say. I'd also get hold of a tie down kit for the Thule awning, Thule do their own which is available from the club shop and widely elsewhere. There's also other similar kits from other makers, plus I'd also make sure you peg the awning feet down for added safety.

We have a 2023 registered California Ocean 6.1 with a Thule wind out awning. Under the leg lift up cover there is what looks like a 6mm awning rail and wondered what that the intended purpose of that rail is for?
The reason for my question is because we have a Kiravans railsail from our previous T6 converted camper. The sail is very stylish and adaptable and we would like to continue using it with either the Thule awning retracted or in its extracted position to make a much longer awning cover.
The railsail has an 8mm kadar strip which would fit the near side awning rail or it would need adapting to fit the 6mm rail of the Thule awning.
I fear the railsail may cause too much strain on the Thule awning especially if used in it extracted position.
I cannot see it being possible to add a secondary 8mm awning rail on the offside without removing the Thule awning first.
Looking for advice, suggestions and solutions please.
Just use the 6mm rail on the awning with a converter 8 - 6mm . If you want the van awning wound out more than half a metre put legs out and peg down + guy ropes from top of legs so the van awning can be properly tensioned.

You can also clip figure of 8 plastic strips to the top lip of the Thule awning, then slot your Rainsail into that. I know 6mm strips fit on the top lip, but you can get 8mm strips, which may also work - worth a go!

Back