Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule Electric Steps

J

JoanneG

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi all, hope that there is someone out there who might have some advice on having a Thule step fixed for entry into the side door. An older relative has problems getting in and especially out of the California without an additional step. We only collected the van last week, so we are still weighing up which type of step is best. We think that the Thule slide out would suit us, but I'm concerned that it might make clearance over things like road humps a problem and would installing it affect our warranty?
This is the step in question,
Does anyone else have one fitted?
Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can offer.

I’d be concerned about it grounding and the need to drill into the underside of the van. If it did foul on something the potential damage to the underside could be pricey to repair. I know Wellhouse fit them to their Ford Terrier campervan, so it might be worth a look at their set up.
Personally I’d just use a basic caravan step and see how that works out.

I’d be concerned about it grounding and the need to drill into the underside of the van. If it did foul on something the potential damage to the underside could be pricey to repair. I know Wellhouse fit them to their Ford Terrier campervan, so it might be worth a look at their set up.
Personally I’d just use a basic caravan step and see how that works out.
Thanks for your reply. That is my concern about having a fixed step fitted under the van. I've looked at the side steps fitted to VWs, but they don't seem deep enough for someone to stand comfortably on. What I really need is a folding step with a side handle, but sadly they don't exist.

No. I'm not that clever . I have ordered a fold up step, it's just that they're not so convenient.

Maybe this helps out:

Cali_step_1.jpg

All things electrical that you don't have installed, can't fail:

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

After watching that I think the electric step is out. Thanks for the responses folks!

Have you thought about a side step. There are lots on the market

Hi all, hope that there is someone out there who might have some advice on having a Thule step fixed for entry into the side door. An older relative has problems getting in and especially out of the California without an additional step. We only collected the van last week, so we are still weighing up which type of step is best. We think that the Thule slide out would suit us, but I'm concerned that it might make clearance over things like road humps a problem and would installing it affect our warranty?
This is the step in question,
Does anyone else have one fitted?
Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can offer.
Maybe you could get information from a VW dealer that also does motorbility I would assume that they should be aware of possible extra fittings for motorbility help and may have fitted things to vans. I think the dealer in Preston does motorbility.

Thanks very much for the further replies and ideas. I have actually gone for, at least for now, a step similar to that suggested by thetallguy . The side steps are an option, but I'm not sure that they are wide enough to provide my relative with a confident foothold. As for talking to a motability dealership, it's a good idea that I hadn't considered, so if all else fails I will try that option.
Thanks again to all!

Back