Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule Hullavator

CannonDale

CannonDale

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I am looking at ways of getting a kayak on to the roof with the least amount of hassle. I am thinking of a Hullavoator but it also looks as if it might put stress on the roof on the onsite side to where it is fixed. Do any of you have experience of this rack and if so what do you think.

I have similar concerns! I have a karitek for my car and one for the Cali but do think the weight on the loading side could be excessive. I guess the kayak/Canoe weight and how smoothly you can raise it will be a factor but I’m not confident that the Cali roof locking mechanism is designed to take the twisting action and weight exerted during the loading process.
Look forward to hearing others experiences.

On the topic of the Hullavator, I wondered what width of roof bars people are using on the california with the hullavator installed. Is anyone doing this successfully with 135cm bars or do I need to go 150cm?

On the topic of the Hullavator, I wondered what width of roof bars people are using on the california with the hullavator installed. Is anyone doing this successfully with 135cm bars or do I need to go 150cm?
Go as wide as possible, then allows for more options in the future (ie roofbox + sups). Also, wider bars are easier to grab hold of if you are standing on the rear tyre when you are strapping something down.

I’ve used a hullavator for the last five years with the Cali, occasionally I’ve had two WW boats within the cradle.
I’ve not had any issues with the roof, if I’m putting the roof up I usually take the boat off and lock to a wheel.
It makes a doddle of getting the boat on the roof using one if there, highly recommend.

I'm looking at the hullivator too, I have 127 aero bars at the moment and know I have to use the pro bars with the hullivator but unsure which length I need too, don't want them any longer than needs must really

I have similar concerns! I have a karitek for my car and one for the Cali but do think the weight on the loading side could be excessive. I guess the kayak/Canoe weight and how smoothly you can raise it will be a factor but I’m not confident that the Cali roof locking mechanism is designed to take the twisting action and weight exerted during the loading process.
Look forward to hearing others experiences.
As I‘ve no longer got the Cali, my karitek is up for sale ….. i anyone is interested!