Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tints

Aca_chap

Aca_chap

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi All

Forgive me for going over what is probably old ground, but I cannot seem to find an answer from trawling through previous threads.

It seems like many people, we have found that the tinted windows on our T6 Ocean aren't great particularly in the bright sunshine for a 1 and 3 year old. We don't always like pulling down the blinds so would like to darken the tints slightly. I gather that the double glazing has caused some differences in tint after aftermarket tints have been applied.

So my question is whether anyone with "Green heat insulating glass in cab with double glazed green privacy glass" option has had aftermarket tint which they are happy with i.e. are durable and look even from outside.

I read somewhere a reference to ceramic tints but cannot seem to find that again - are these more durable?

We are based in mid Kent for fitters are purchased from SMG Tonbridge.

Thanks in advance to any answers. I told you it was old ground but thanks for reading.

All the best

Thanks I did see this. Unfortunately, where any task requires the application of practical skills I'm usually left in a heap of embarrassment.
These do look like great value but I'm after something possibly with a bit more longevity as we're intending on keeping the bus for a good few years.
Thanks for the reply
All th best

Hi All

Forgive me for going over what is probably old ground, but I cannot seem to find an answer from trawling through previous threads.

It seems like many people, we have found that the tinted windows on our T6 Ocean aren't great particularly in the bright sunshine for a 1 and 3 year old. We don't always like pulling down the blinds so would like to darken the tints slightly. I gather that the double glazing has caused some differences in tint after aftermarket tints have been applied.

So my question is whether anyone with "Green heat insulating glass in cab with double glazed green privacy glass" option has had aftermarket tint which they are happy with i.e. are durable and look even from outside.

I read somewhere a reference to ceramic tints but cannot seem to find that again - are these more durable?

We are based in mid Kent for fitters are purchased from SMG Tonbridge.

Thanks in advance to any answers. I told you it was old ground but thanks for reading.

All the best
The problem with the Ocean is, How do you match any tint you might apply to the glass behind the wardrobe, i.e.: N/S rear.

The problem with the Ocean is, How do you match any tint you might apply to the glass behind the wardrobe, i.e.: N/S rear.
I'm being slow. Do you mean that the glass behind the wardrobe cannot be tinted retrospectively and that's causing the variance in tint that can sometimes be seen from photos?
All the best

Welshgas is correct, due to not being able to get access to behind the wardrobe you will have a mismatched tint on one side of the van, if you can live with that then OK but we decided against it after seeing others people's tints on here, it looks like you forgot to tint one of the windows. I guess you could remove the wardrobe but they is possibly a bit excessive.

I'm being slow. Do you mean that the glass behind the wardrobe cannot be tinted retrospectively and that's causing the variance in tint that can sometimes be seen from photos?
All the best
You could try an external tint on that glass panel but it will be a bit hit and miss.

If you were happy to "loose" the small window behind the fridge you could do what I've done as part of using the recess for storage. I have blacked out the window with a fablon type of material, applied on the inside and behind the sliding blind. From the outside the window is a uniform black. With no light coming through the glass you would probably not notice any difference in the degree of tint.

If you were happy to "loose" the small window behind the fridge you could do what I've done as part of using the recess for storage. I have blacked out the window with a fablon type of material, applied on the inside and behind the sliding blind. From the outside the window is a uniform black. With no light coming through the glass you would probably not notice any difference in the degree of tint.
Hi thanks for the idea, that sounds like a good work around. Could you send me a photo of that?

Also, are there differences with the double glazing vs single on the van and does anyone have a robust solution to that?

All the best

The guy SMG Tonbridge use for their aftermarket Tints is Graham Lusber 07785 753240 (based in Crowborough though will travel to you). Helpful guy who knows his stuff and is fully aware of the issues you are describing so may be worth a call to him.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Hi thanks for the idea, that sounds like a good work around. Could you send me a photo of that?

Also, are there differences with the double glazing vs single on the van and does anyone have a robust solution to that?

All the best
Difficult to get a good photo but these might give you an idea. You can just see the join in the blackout in the second pic. Also depending on the angle of view I noticed that there is a difference in the apparent shade of tint between the single glazed kitchen window and the rear double glazed. If you go down the fablon route you need to remove the sliding blind from inside the wardrobe.

Have they changed the darkness of the tint on the T6? My T5 SE privacy glass is perfectly dark enough for our needs.

View attachment 23321 View attachment 23322 View attachment 23323
Difficult to get a good photo but these might give you an idea. You can just see the join in the blackout in the second pic. Also depending on the angle of view I noticed that there is a difference in the apparent shade of tint between the single glazed kitchen window and the rear double glazed. If you go down the fablon route you need to remove the sliding blind from inside the wardrobe.
Thanks for this it's really helpful. I'll give the chap above a call (thanks for number) and see where we get too.
All the best

I paid for the green heat and privacy glass. Sorry it wasnt up to it. You could see inside easily. I keep work stuff in there during the week and also have a cassette toilet... may never use... but.

I went to a local tinter. What a job £240 and 4 hrs later what a job. Nice inside and privacy from the outside. And it looks uniform..... Best investment in my Cali so far...

I paid for the green heat and privacy glass. Sorry it wasnt up to it. You could see inside easily. I keep work stuff in there during the week and also have a cassette toilet... may never use... but.

I went to a local tinter. What a job £240 and 4 hrs later what a job. Nice inside and privacy from the outside. And it looks uniform..... Best investment in my Cali so far...
Hi thanks for this have you got any photos of the exterior you could share? And which tint did you go for? Thanks
All the best

Hi thanks for this have you got any photos of the exterior you could share? And which tint did you go for? Thanks
All the best

I was told it is one shade below full limo blackout. You can see a difference on the double glazed window if you look for it. But it looks good IMO the slight difference does not detract from the overall appearance and overall its more practical than VW privacy.

Also added one prior to tint.. FYICali New - 1.jpg Cali Sunday - 1.jpgCali Sunday - 2.jpg

Thanks for sharing this Mike. The tints look far more practical than VW's. At risk of being a complete PITA, would you be able to share a photo of the drivers side with no angle(just to see the tint change) as well as the passenger side (to see the wardrobe variation)?
Also, which tint did you end up going for and is this likely to last many years?
Thanks so much
All the best

Thanks for sharing this Mike. The tints look far more practical than VW's. At risk of being a complete PITA, would you be able to share a photo of the drivers side with no angle(just to see the tint change) as well as the passenger side (to see the wardrobe variation)?
Also, which tint did you end up going for and is this likely to last many years?
Thanks so much
All the best

Act chap, OK now when you look in some circumstances you can see it on the drivers side. On the passenger side more difficult. Also a photograph from inside.... Still 100% better... I love it. 1 grade down from full Limo Tint blackout. Amazing.... OK?Cali New College - 1.jpgCali New College - 2.jpgCali New College - 3.jpgCali New College - 4.jpgCali New College - 5.jpgCali New College - 6.jpgCali New College - 7.jpgCali New College - 8.jpg

Act chap, OK now when you look in some circumstances you can see it on the drivers side. On the passenger side more difficult. Also a photograph from inside.... Still 100% better... I love it. 1 grade down from full Limo Tint blackout. Amazing.... OK?View attachment 23469View attachment 23470View attachment 23471View attachment 23472View attachment 23473View attachment 23474View attachment 23475View attachment 23476
Mike thank you so much for taking the time to post these photos, I really appreciate this. Got convinced me to get and get these tints - I think they look very OEM like and practical. Do you know which brand of tint they are? Any problems with doing this on top of the factory tint?
Thanks again and very best

Mike thank you so much for taking the time to post these photos, I really appreciate this. Got convinced me to get and get these tints - I think they look very OEM like and practical. Do you know which brand of tint they are? Any problems with doing this on top of the factory tint?
Thanks again and very best

No prob on top of VW tint. I used http://www.customtint.co.uk. £240. He put it on the outside first to get the size and shape. Then took it off and put it on the inside. Then he heated it... Lifetime guarantee... He was good. Sure there are similar ones in all areas. Took hours...

Good luck

No prob on top of VW tint. I used http://www.customtint.co.uk. £240. He put it on the outside first to get the size and shape. Then took it off and put it on the inside. Then he heated it... Lifetime guarantee... He was good. Sure there are similar ones in all areas. Took hours...

Good luck
Cheers Mike I'll get a quote for down here. Really helpful thanks again. All the best

Good luck

Thanks for the pictures Mike. I might have to take a trip down. I'm quite interested in the claims about UV protection and heat reduction as well as security.:thumb

.. Message ends..

Thanks for the pictures Mike. I might have to take a trip down. I'm quite interested in the claims about UV protection and heat reduction as well as security.:thumb

.. Message ends..

Teejay, I dont think the pictures do it justice. Also if you visit them you may feel a little less than confident. But honestly mine is brilliant. Best money Ive spent on her.... If you are passing on the A68 come have a look at her..

Teejay, I dont think the pictures do it justice. Also if you visit them you may feel a little less than confident. But honestly mine is brilliant. Best money Ive spent on her.... If you are passing on the A68 come have a look at her..

I was going to ask if you mind me taking a look. I'm willing to make a trip. I can compare before and after. The wife needs some persuasion. Think she is worried about the sitting in permanent gloom.

Back