Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Still confused - help please!

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi peeps. Still confused over windows so here’s a question. The options for factory tint at the moment are as follows:
  • Green heat insulating glass in cab with double glazed green privacy glass in passenger compartment.
  • Laminated glass package - laminated in front, privacy glass in rear (plus rear window insulated with washer & wiper, acoustics package “extra” - whatever that is).
Which one do people get if they want to add an after tint to “top up” the factory tint? Would/has anyone topped up on the green glass and what’s your opinion of it?

Need to make a decision by Monday, it’s the only thing i’m Struggling with when I look at the configuration of the build. Just don’t know what will be best and feeling a bit of a numpty to be truthful!

• Green heat insulating glass in cab with double glazed green privacy glass in passenger compartment
That’s what most people get, I think.

The standard tint is ok mostly, people can only see in when you are silhouetted against another window. If we feel uncomfortable we just slide the blind up on the opposite side, we can then see them but they can’t see us!

I honestly can't answer whether you'd be better, same or worse off with the over all after market tint effect if you bought the laminated pack.
But.....
From contributions on similar threads I would say that
  • Green heat insulating glass in cab with double glazed green privacy glass in passenger compartment.
Is the one that minimises a mismatched appearance and seems to be the most popular.
Remember that the double glazing changes the reflections from the single glazed parts and that is very slightly apparent in some lights direct from the factory so the best you can hope for is to avoid exaggerating it too much with the aftermarket tint.
A medium tint on this option looks good in photo supplied by some members. I also beleive that not getting the factory tint and applying after market tints gives a bigger change between single and double glazed panel reflections. Hope that helps.

Hi! Maybe you can help me with a couple of questions regarding these two options:
- is the tint of the 'privacy glass' the same on both, or it is darker in the 'package' option?
- is the 'package' option the one people usually refers to as the 'privacy glass' option, or any of the two indistinctly?
- does anybody knows the VW option code for each of these two?
thanks!

I can only tell you what our 2018 is, and what it looks like

9E0603BD-34A6-4E25-8927-37A0A9D9D225.jpeg
4107985F-8BE4-4D3B-9328-17A12BFB75EE.jpeg

I can only tell you what our 2018 is, and what it looks like

Ok, thanks for your answer.

Next thing for me is to learn how to reply to a message... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! Maybe you can help me with a couple of questions regarding these two options:
- is the tint of the 'privacy glass' the same on both, or it is darker in the 'package' option?
- is the 'package' option the one people usually refers to as the 'privacy glass' option, or any of the two indistinctly?
- does anybody knows the VW option code for each of these two?
thanks!

Hi Jotaby, we went for the green insulating with privacy as it was double glazed and will keep the very hot sun out in summer. I expected the privacy tint to be green, but it wasn’t. It’s the one that everyone usually goes for. Hope that helps. Sorry, don’t know the codes.

Hi peeps. Still confused over windows so here’s a question. The options for factory tint at the moment are as follows:
  • Laminated glass package - laminated in front, privacy glass in rear (plus rear window insulated with washer & wiper, acoustics package “extra” - whatever that is).
Which one do people get if they want to add an after tint to “top up” the factory tint? Would/has anyone topped up on the green glass and what’s your opinion of it?

Need to make a decision by Monday, it’s the only thing i’m Struggling with when I look at the configuration of the build. Just don’t know what will be best and feeling a bit of a numpty to be truthful!

Adding a tint film as apposed to buying and sticking with just the factory supplied dyed glass is as follows.

1/ You can choose the exact level of tint you want and can even have the side passenger windows tinted up to the legal limit.

2/ Film will provide protection from the damaging sun rays entering into the cabin from side and rear windows (front windscreen being laminated already has such protection).
  • Clear or dyed glass blocks about 97% of the UVB radiation and about 37% of UVA radiation.
  • Laminated windscreens block all of the UVB radiation and about 80% of the UVA radiation.
  • Good quality films can reduce the transmission of UVA so that as much 97% of the UVA is blocked.
  • Note it is not the tint that provides the above protection it is the inherent characteristic of the film, thus even clear film has the above desirable attributes.
3 Film applied to none laminated side and rear windows provides added security as the glass will not easily shatter if struck hard, i.e. if a smash and grab is attempted.

Film can be added to the dyed factory option glass with the advantage of reducing the appearance of shade variation due to some windows being double glazed. Down side is having to pay for Factory tint and after market film tinting.

Adding a tint film as apposed to buying and sticking with just the factory supplied dyed glass is as follows.

1/ You can choose the exact level of tint you want and can even have the side passenger windows tinted up to the legal limit.

2/ Film will provide protection from the damaging sun rays entering into the cabin from side and rear windows (front windscreen being laminated already has such protection).
  • Clear or dyed glass blocks about 97% of the UVB radiation and about 37% of UVA radiation.
  • Laminated windscreens block all of the UVB radiation and about 80% of the UVA radiation.
  • Good quality films can reduce the transmission of UVA so that as much 97% of the UVA is blocked.
  • Note it is not the tint that provides the above protection it is the inherent characteristic of the film, thus even clear film has the above desirable attributes.
3 Film applied to none laminated side and rear windows provides added security as the glass will not easily shatter if struck hard, i.e. if a smash and grab is attempted.

Film can be added to the dyed factory option glass with the advantage of reducing the appearance of shade variation due to some windows being double glazed. Down side is having to pay for Factory tint and after market film tinting.
Thanks B Y, for taking the time to write such a thorough reply. We have ordered now and chosen the factory tint. We’ll see how we go with it and maybe add a bit more with a film. We’ll be transporting our little grandkids around so thinking about UV is very important to me, especially if we’ll be getting more hot summers, like the last.

Thanks B Y, for taking the time to write such a thorough reply. We have ordered now and chosen the factory tint. We’ll see how we go with it and maybe add a bit more with a film. We’ll be transporting our little grandkids around so thinking about UV is very important to me, especially if we’ll be getting more hot summers, like the last.
UV is not dependant on the window tint and hence visible light. I use Reactolite Glasses that darken in sunlight. There are 2 types that can be used, one that responds to Visible Light and one that responds to UV. The UV responding glasses work very poorly in most cars - and especially so in the California with factory tint as the glass blocks a substantial % of UV light as it is this wavelength that makes the plastic dash and other components fade/denature over time.
My new glasses react to both and work extremely well in the California.

Back