Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tips for living (almost) full time in T6.1 ocean??

I think I’ll set off early/mid September. Just one more week at work and I’m free!*

Hoping I get some decent weather before we hit proper autumn. And maybe by the time you’re up for the snow I’ll have half an idea what I’m doing . Give me a shout when you’re around

*for one year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Indian Summer is on its way…:)

Hi all

In case interested - I started a little blog of my travels at onlyyoungtwice.com

Nice read. We are familiar with a number of the places you mention, it’s always good to revisit places through another’s eyes. Thanks for sharing, safe onward travels.

@onlyyoungtwice - just read your blog and now subscribed. Love what you are doing and look forward to following your journey - very envious

Winter in Scotland, tyres - winter or at least All Season tyres.
Topper or extra insulation for the roof bellows.
If you are using internal water tank, stop it freezing. Open wardrobe door and use Parking heater liberally.
Short trips on a diesel can destroy the DPF as it cannot regenerate.
What does PDF stand for Welsh Gas?

Hi everyone,

Thought I’d add a wee progress update.

So living in the van is way easier than I expected. I’m very rarely on sites, mostly wilding it. Even when I am on sites I often don’t even bother to hook up electric because I drive everyday so batteries not a problem. The winter has been scarily mild so far so cold not a problem. Main thing I don’t like is doing the dishes , but otherwise vanlife is all fine.

I have had some problems - some are solved, some not yet.

My heat shield was ripped off the undertray, apparently (dealer tells me) “by a puddle”. I argued if my van can’t handle a puddle, it’s not fit for purpose in the UK. Dealer said “it must have been a big puddle”. I think some folk have fought VW to reimburse the cost of replacing this, though my life might be too short to take on that battle which would no doubt stress me out.

My insurer pulled my insurance because my van wouldn’t be on the driveway overnight every night. Apparently they hadn’t anticipated a campervan being used as a campervan. Maybe foolish of me mentioning when I was updating addresses that I was doing a long trip in scotland. A bunch of other insurers wouldn’t insure me for varying reasons ranging from my van being wrongly classified as MPV on the V5, modifications (different wheels and sidebars previous owner put on), and one saying they couldn’t insure me because I don’t currently own or rent my own property (even though I have owned and rented and choosing not to right now, permanent residence currently at my dads). This last one was infuriating. I was getting worried about no one being willing to insure me at all. But eventually found insurance for almost 1k more than I was previously paying. That was v painful.

One burst tyre on a dark night on a ridiculously bad pothole that looked like a small puddle in the dark. Submitted a claim to the council for that one but not holding out too much hope. Actually think there might be slow puncture on front tyre on same side which I should get looked at, it needs topping up worryingly often.
feaff15ea57fc5957d37f6787e1be559.jpg

Some breakages like plastic clips on cupboards which I think got brittle in the cold. Screws on one of the job fittings rusted and need replacing with stainless steel ones which presumably they should have been to start with.

Couple of bigger current issues I need to get looked at are:
- crack in the plastic surround of the sliding window. Seems to not be getting worse, but want to get this replaced under warranty.
- water getting into tailgate - think this is the common(ish) issue with water getting in at rear top brake light. This was happening for a while before I realised (I don’t tend to need to open the tailgate every day / all that often) so unfortunately the casing for the chairs also went good and mouldy. I opened the tailgate recently to find water pouring out and today removed the rubber lugs so it’ll hopefully drain rather than build up, though just an interim solution.

I think both of these issues are for body shop, and trying to work out when/where to book it in (and where I’ll stay while it gets sorted!). Gaah.

9c108262919a912f934fbfac04c06fc1.jpg

4aca51509c8c0184987d28bc44c9dadb.jpg

Think I need to get a sirocco fan too (which was recommended above) to help with airing out the van which isn’t the easiest in winter. It’s not cheap though and need to work out the wiring and where/how I’d want to attach it.

Aside from this set of issues…. it’s going well! I tend to sleep really well in the van, and love the freedom. I do get frustrated with all the no overnight camping signs all over the place which make some areas feel quite hostile when they’re everywhere, but pretty much everyone I’ve spoken to has been enthusiastic about what I’m doing. Think I’ve done 52 munros now? Though not today because of the 100mph winds on the hills!!

Wow. Read some of your blog. Some amazing photo.s. have you done suilven yet? Good luck .

I’ve been following your blog and get quite excited when they drop into my inbox.
I usually sit down with a cuppa to read as it’s something I’d love to do one day.
Great writing style too.

Wow. Read some of your blog. Some amazing photo.s. have you done suilven yet? Good luck .

Thanks! No I haven’t done suilven yet - really looking forward to it. I’m thinking I might plan to do than in summer and take a tent to do some real wild camping. Have you seen the film Edie? I thought it was fantastic

I’ve been following your blog and get quite excited when they drop into my inbox.
I usually sit down with a cuppa to read as it’s something I’d love to do one day.
Great writing style too.

Oh wow thanks so much! Very kind of you to say. I never really know whether people read it (other than my dad)

Oh wow thanks so much! Very kind of you to say. I never really know whether people read it (other than my dad)

Could you post the link please?

Suilven, years ago we paddled down Loch Veyatie, camped overnight and then ascended the next day and paddled back out. Midge central!!! But superb.

Could you post the link please?

Suilven, years ago we paddled down Loch Veyatie, camped overnight and then ascended the next day and paddled back out. Midge central!!! But superb.

Oh wow that sounds amazing! Someone told me they camped near the top of suilven and when the stepped out for a pee in the middle of the night they had a full inversion with sunrise coming up on one side and moon still out on the other. Knowing my luck I’ll probably get cloud and rain though

My blog is www.onlyyoungtwice.com

Also in case of interest I recently started an instagram account too @only.young.twice

Thanks! No I haven’t done suilven yet - really looking forward to it. I’m thinking I might plan to do than in summer and take a tent to do some real wild camping. Have you seen the film Edie? I thought it was fantastic

yes. seen edie. i hear suilven is a 2 day job and hence why most wild camp overnight. always fancied that.

Good luck, I can only come at this from the perspective of having lived fulltime for 3yrs in a luxury, well insulated Concorde Charisma. Even at 9m long with separate bedroom, bathroom and super wet heating system, it was a challenge sometimes in the depth of winter to keep all the life support systems cared for and up and running (batteries take a hammering too).

It was however life affirming and an experience for which I’m very grateful even if it was emotionally pretty arduous at times (divorce).

All the best with it and enjoy as much as you can!

Good luck, I can only come at this from the perspective of having lived fulltime for 3yrs in a luxury, well insulated Concorde Charisma. Even at 9m long with separate bedroom, bathroom and super wet heating system, it was a challenge sometimes in the depth of winter to keep all the life support systems cared for and up and running (batteries take a hammering too).

It was however life affirming and an experience for which I’m very grateful even if it was emotionally pretty arduous at times (divorce).

All the best with it and enjoy as much as you can!

Wow 3 years!! I do see your point though that that was basically a 1 bed apartment on wheels

Sounds like a fascinating experience.

Subbed to the blog, great photos and content. Your posts would do well on the walkhighlands forum as well I think.

@onlyyoungtwice , read your blogs last few evenings. very nice and good writing style with beautiful pictures. Thanks! Will keep reading them.

kind regards and have fun!

Back