Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

To chip not to chip?

GregW

GregW

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Does the T5 respond well to chipping? Anyone tried? The claims of this manufacturer suggest better economy (15%), better performance (180bhp to 227bhp), a smoother drive and no negative impact on emissions. Removable and doesn't impact emissions according to blurb.

http://www.prodieselchip.com/gb/diesel-chip-tuning/vw/t5/3296.html

I'm out of warranty, what is the downside other than cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can only speak for myself, I had my 54 plate T5 Transporter ecu remapped when I had it.
It was a mild 30bhp remap which took it from 85 to 115bhp but it transformed the van performance wise.
However....within 6 months a driveshaft went closely followed by the intercooler.
It could just've been a coincidence of course but it put me off doing remaps in the future.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You'd lose 'non believers' like me from the list of who'd buy it in the future. I think the list of Cali Buyers (vs bright orange t5 conversion buyers) who believe that more than 180hp was necessary is pretty limited.

You'd lose 'non believers' like me from the list of who'd buy it in the future. I think the list of Cali Buyers (vs bright orange t5 conversion buyers) who believe that more than 180hp was necessary is pretty limited.

Though a reasonable number do seem willing to buy the 200bhp ocean?

Yep but that's given a factory choice of 150 or 204. A 204 factory is a different resale proposition to a 227 chipped (in my view... We've been here before, it splits opinion... But you should assess the proportion)

Some of these so called 'Chip' boxes merely plug into the fuel manifold pressure sensor and alter the readings sent to the Computer, resulting in higher fuel pressures which gives the performance.
I once bought one for a Peugeot based Motorhome which gave fuel/engine fault warnings, fortunately I got a refund.

The best solution is to have a rolling road remap where the engine fuel system is accurately setup.

You don't mention your vehicles mileage but both the engine and fuel injectors wear in time which will show up in a rolling road session.

Just because manufacturers quote a bhp figure doesn't mean that you have that power produced by your engine. There was a time when it was common practice to have an engine blueprinted (all mechanical specifications machined to exact tolerances) which could result in as much as 25% power increases.
Admittedly engines are now built to a higher standard.

If VW can't be trusted with emission figures info can we be that sure about the bhp figures?

I would not buy a vehicle where the mechanicals have been changed from manufacturer settings.

Just me.

You’d never know. It’s a removable box.

Does the T5 respond well to chipping? Anyone tried? The claims of this manufacturer suggest better economy (15%), better performance (180bhp to 227bhp), a smoother drive and no negative impact on emissions. Removable and doesn't impact emissions according to blurb.

I had my 180 remapped via ECU to ~205bhp by one of the UK's best known companies. The increase in torque was significant and made for easy driving, the claimed increase in fuel economy did not happen. Had it removed a month later as had issues with the DSG staying in a too higher gear at too lower revs going up gentle hills because it could without slowing. Probably work just fine on a manual.

I had my 180 remapped via ECU to ~205bhp by one of the UK's best known companies. The increase in torque was significant and made for easy driving, the claimed increase in fuel economy did not happen. Had it removed a month later as had issues with the DSG staying in a too higher gear at too lower revs going up gentle hills because it could without slowing. Probably work just fine on a manual.

Interesting. That's a good reason to be wary

A friend had his T5 remapped and was pleased with the increase in performance. However, he had a series of serious engine faults, eventually needing a short engine and turbo, among other things. I think he spent about £6k before he finally sold it.

Coincidence? Perhaps but I would not remap any of my vehicles

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com/

Interesting reading these comments.
I had a Pendle remap, nothing at all drastic on my 130 Cali.
I had an off side drive shaft go and a new turbo in the last 12 month’s and I now wonder if there’s a coincidence?
It did improve the torque, not the mpg but it was much nicer to drive.
The remap has been removed, back to factory settings following the new turbo.

Some VW commercials are detuned to 84 or 102 bop from the 140/150. In this case a remap might be beneficial as they have the same running gear/drivetrain as the 140/150. But retuning a 140/150 or the 180/204 is more problematic unless other areas are upgraded or you accept the consequences.

I agree with that - I got Pendle HQ to up my T5 (which I think was a 102?) to the next level of output as it shared identical mechanicals & is effectively just a factory software switch setting being altered. The benefit came from the flattening-out of the then perfectly linear diagonal torque curve & made it far more driveable.

No way I'd want my T6 140 to be upped to 204, or any of these bonkers numbers that are thrown around by lesser tuning shops, as it's physically different engine setup & that's surely asking for trouble all along the engine & drivetrain.

On the MPG thing I'm sure it's perfectly possible to achieve better MPG at the same driving style / speeds, but if more becomes available then you *will* use it, regardless of best intentions! :D

DSG needs a remap also.

Uprating a T5 which by definition is upwards of 2 years old needs to have thought to accumulated use and mileage. The simple reason being that any weak point due to wear or stress will be found by the increased strain put on by extra power.
Torque is the highest factor in transmission failures, usually anyone increasing engine power will also have gone for wider wheels tyres which will grip better than standard ones. The negative to this is that any potential wheel spin which releases torque strain on the transmission is lost.

I notice that there is a possible 30% increase in torque quoted with the chip in this question.

Pendle performance is the only place to go, don’t waste anytime researching

Uprating a T5 which by definition is upwards of 2 years old needs to have thought to accumulated use and mileage. The simple reason being that any weak point due to wear or stress will be found by the increased strain put on by extra power.
Torque is the highest factor in transmission failures, usually anyone increasing engine power will also have gone for wider wheels tyres which will grip better than standard ones. The negative to this is that any potential wheel spin which releases torque strain on the transmission is lost.

I notice that there is a possible 30% increase in torque quoted with the chip in this question.
Or......stop over thinking it and get on with it. Most good suppliers give a two week free trial.

I bought a Dtuk tuning box for my Golf Gtd a couple of years ago, what a waste of money. Yes a massive burst of power which the front wheels could not control, so many settings on the box to try and alter the delivery of power. After 6 months of warning lights coming up on the dash I removed it and it now sits in the garage.
About 4 months ago I had the Revo remap carried out. What a fantastic transformation to the car, a much better power delivery and approx 40 bhp more. I drove to Worcester and back last 2 days, 320 miles all motorway driving approx 80 mph and returned 52.2 mpg which compared to previous journeys is about 7/8 mpg better.
chip/tuning box no in my opinion but yes to a reputable remap.

Superchips in Buckingham.
Yes their bluefin system is good. Can revert back to factory yourself very easily. It is an actual remap not a plug in box.
Have a reputation for being coservative & reliable.

DSG remaps are expensive as aparently the box has to come out to get to its brain.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yes their bluefin system is good. Can revert back to factory yourself very easily. It is an actual remap not a plug in box.
Have a reputation for being coservative & reliable.

DSG remaps are expensive as aparently the box has to come out to get to its brain.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
I ran a Superchips map from new on a previous VW. 65k without a hitch.

Hi, I have a T5, 140, DSG, Blue motion. I used a chip from Racechip, a German, TüV approved Company. It is removable so invisible when having a service etc. I can't praise it enough. I had the cheapest model. The performance improved but the most impressive benefit is the improved fuel consumption. I reckon it paid for itself within 5 months . Definitely worth the ride in my opinion. I fitted one to my previous vehicle (a Ford S-Max) which convinced me of the benefits.

Pendle Performance now offering a custom tune on the 204 dsg, up to 263hp and a whopping 549nm of torque.

Back