Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

To chip not to chip?

He is also operating in north wales and will give 10% off for vip members

Yes, I might have mentioned I had an o/s drove shaft fail too.
It might have been total coincidence.
I didn't go too overboard, just a bit more torque and I really like the difference.
One other point, again I'm not sure if it coincidence or not, but last year the turbo needed to be replaced, main dealer replacement 2k euros.
Whether or not it is connected, I'm not sure.

I’m definitely in the “I wouldn’t remap” camp. A friend had his T5 chipped by someone with a good rep and personal recommendations. He got more power, but suffered one engine problem after another. Too much strain on engine components IMO

If you chip it, do it in the beginning, not after 100000km or more.
Everything is adjusted to each other. If you chip it later, suddenly the parts that are used to work one way, have to work another way, causing problems.

Had a drive shaft failure too, but that was VW's fault. They just put the parts together without lubricant over the teeth.
Turbo is still fine for now. Didn't chip mine, although I had it in my mind to get more torque, not for the HP. But now it's way too late to do it, so I won't bother anymore.

Mine is at 78000KM so I probably won't bother chipping...it runs fine at present ...was just thinking about it...Thanks for the input

Bluefin 140 to 175 on the Manual and really nice, helps to keep it in 6th on Motorways on cruise, 2 years, zero issues. Mine was super low miles, 30k.

Chipping is done with a plug in box which is a 'one size fits all' device and usually alters the fuel pressure only.

A remap on a rolling road will look at the current engine outputs over the rev range and corrections/alterations made to suit that particular engine, the level of output can be increased as required. Mid-range power power being the most desirable for road use.

I don't know that much about re-mapping but having once bought a golf that had been tinkered with in this manner and others, I wouldn't touch another non factory vehicle again. Yes it went like stink but presented so many premature failures that I vowed never again.
The remapping may not have been responsible but once bitten...

Bluefin 140 to 175 on the Manual and really nice, helps to keep it in 6th on Motorways on cruise, 2 years, zero issues. Mine was super low miles, 30k.
Had mine done on a rolling road and have the same opinion as you. Power increase pretty much the same as yours but it’s the torque that makes it most impressive. No need to change down on hills any longer..Fuel consumption has gone from 36 to over 40 mpg (tank full to full not computer). Drives much nicer...Everyone has an opinion..This is mine..

I can only speak for myself, I had my 54 plate T5 Transporter ecu remapped when I had it.
It was a mild 30bhp remap which took it from 85 to 115bhp but it transformed the van performance wise.
However....within 6 months a driveshaft went closely followed by the intercooler.
It could just've been a coincidence of course but it put me off doing remaps in the future.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
My personal experience. Bought a RaceChip from Germany (TUV approved) for my T5.1. I can only say it was all good. Improved performance but at least a 5 mpg improvement. I reckon it paid for itself within 4 months. This was the 'entry' level chip but there are other, later options. Check out the website.

Had 2 remaps carried out on previous cars with no issues. Garage had rolling road; Cost about £450 each time.

BMW 530d Touring & Freelander 2.2d (both autos). More power, gave a smoother change on the autobox & better MPG.

Haven't done the Cali yet but expect will get it done as soon at the same time as we get the ARB upgraded.

Do not get a plug in chip box!

Had 2 remaps carried out on previous cars with no issues. Garage had rolling road; Cost about £450 each time.

BMW 530d Touring & Freelander 2.2d (both autos). More power, gave a smoother change on the autobox & better MPG.

Haven't done the Cali yet but expect will get it done as soon at the same time as we get the ARB upgraded.

Do not get a plug in chip box!
Mine cost £320 with rolling road.. Full print out with BHP and Torque curves..

Yes that’s correct. have a look at their feedback.

What were your readout figures before and after..
It was my old T5 Tdi 130 (BNZ engine). Had a dpf delete at the time as well. sold the van about 4 yrs ago - if I remember bhp was up to about 174 and torque around the 420 mark (roughly). Had it done in Bridgend by an agent - not there anymore.

My VW dealer offered me a TDI Tuning box fitted to my new Beach, and it was all installed by their technicians prior to picking it up for the first time.

Dealer stated they would stand behind extended warranty, so I had no issue.

Tend to run it in its lowest setting which is just over 180bhp, and after almost 2 years it has proved a great addition, especially when towing with the extra low down torque...

I would not buy a vehicle where the mechanicals have been changed from manufacturer settings.

Just me.
Me neither, but with a remap I’m not sure you would know unless they told you.

Professional re mappers normally have a dyno where they can accurately tell you what you started with and what you have now. Im not sure I know a VW dealer with a Dynamometer. So why is it that VW can safely remap your vehicle but professional re mappers cant? Is it maybe that VW send your vehicle out to a professional company and claim they have done it themselves.

Professional re mappers normally have a dyno where they can accurately tell you what you started with and what you have now. Im not sure I know a VW dealer with a Dynamometer. So why is it that VW can safely remap your vehicle but professional re mappers cant? Is it maybe that VW send your vehicle out to a professional company and claim they have done it themselves.
I wouldn’t want my van remapped unless it was software from the manufacturer. I imagine the test facilities and design knowledge that VW designers have are not available to professional re-mappers. They may be able to increase the power but they don’t know the manufacturers constraints or design margins, so they cannot know the impact on component life time.

Back