Toilet ventilation bad smell SOG - GC600

• Thread starter MoulinexCHZijie
  • Start date
M

MoulinexCHZijie

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hi everyone. I've had a GC600 for the last two years and am equipped with the SOG toilet ventilation system. Has worked great most if the time and I changed the filter once a few months ago.

Very recently I noticed a horrible smell (like ammonia) and I thought it was due to the toilet product. Changed for another one and I get the same issue. When I unplug the toilet tank and smell the end of the black pipe it seems the smell is already bad even though the toilet tank is out.

I don't really understand how this works. Am I supposed to change something with the black has bottle in there? Is there something else besides the filter that needs to be done ?

Thanks so much for your help.

The SOG has an activated charcoal filter that should be changed each year. Very easy to do, simple unplug and swap., Its the green dome in the cupboard under the sink in the wet-room. About £40 online.

I did that already. Is there anything else to be done? With that black bottle?

The SOG has an activated charcoal filter that should be changed each year. Very easy to do, simple unplug and swap., Its the green dome in the cupboard under the sink in the wet-room. About £40 online.
Hi GordonH
Do you have the activated charcoal filter reference?
Thanks

Hi MoulinexCHZijie

I haven't yet changed the activated charcoal filter of the SOG, but I put, from time to time, a glass of white vinegar directly in the toilet (flap closed)
This prevents bad smells when opening the toilet cover and reduces limescale deposits on the WC flap

I did that already. Is there anything else to be done? With that black bottle?
The green SOG 2 filter is the only part that needs any maintenance, not sure what black bottle you are referring to, the inline bulge in the pipe is the fan that sucks the air through the system - you should be able to hear that run when you open the toilet blade. No maintenance on this is required. As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, smells can come from elsewhere. The bowl itself being one of them as the flush may not always clean the surface fully, we use this product, a quick spray in the bowl from time to time keeps things fresh Thetford 30217AK Aqua Rinse Toilet Spray - 500ml, Pink https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00T635PT8?tag=eliteelect-21. You can also get smells from the waste water tank coming through the traps, make sure those are full of fresh water after driving and dont allow the water to sit for too long. Again, chemistry helps, we pour a little of this down each trap when we empty the waste tank - Elsan Fresh 2 Waste Water Tank Additive, Grey, 2 Litre https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AXZLVN2?tag=eliteelect-21

Hi MoulinexCHZijie

I haven't yet changed the activated charcoal filter of the SOG, but I put, from time to time, a glass of white vinegar directly in the toilet (flap closed)
This prevents bad smells when opening the toilet cover and reduces limescale deposits on the WC flap
Thank you GordonH
I’ll order one to replace it as soon as I return home

Thanks a lot for your replies. I really appreciate it

I'm starting to think it's due to new cleaning tabs I ordered from Amazon...

At a guess I would imagine its related to use but thats just a guess.

Back