Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Smelly sink

AgentSmith

VIP Member
Recently our sink has started to occasionally smell. On investigation it appear that the waste pipe does not have a u-bend. Looking at the waste tank there appears to be a u-shaped space in which to embed the pipe. Is this supposed to be the case or am I missing something? :headwall

Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Rob
Delighted owner of 08 Cali, 180 with lots of fun bits :D

There should be a kink/Ubend to prevent smells coming back from the tank.
If your van had a previous owner, they probably removed it and replaced it with a straight drain tube in an effort to speed up the rate at which water drains from the sink - because it's pitifully slow, normally.

We rinse the drain tank through about every thrid or fourth trip to ensure smells are kept at bay. Any disinfectant to hand we use. We also tend to keep the plug in.

We all laud the design of the Cali but the sink, tap, drain from the sink leave a lot to be desired imho.

barry said:
We rinse the drain tank through about every thrid or fourth trip to ensure smells are kept at bay. Any disinfectant to hand we use. We also tend to keep the plug in.

This is exactly what we do and it works really well for us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbh..... we don't use the waste tank. The small amount of water, when free of "bits" is sensibly ditched. I mean, with the recent drought we felt the water would be needed around hedgerows etc

Thanks for all your help. We flush and clean the sink regularly but ran into the smell problem on a 3-week trip around France.

I think I'll put the u-bend back in and live with the delay. We don't put that much down the sink.

Thanks again :thumb :D