Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Toll charges

Never knew this... Good info... Thanks

Good news!

Re - M6 Toll discount - (following comment by MEL attendant - see above).

Reply recently received from the Caravan Club -

"I can confirm that the arrangement is ongoing and will be in place for at least the next 2 years- the discount may alter slightly if the M6 Toll amend their fees but we will still receive a discount for our members"

Pete

Just been stung for £11 on M6 toll road. Given that the Beach is taxed as a car I thought I would pay the same toll. No wonder the road is little used by loads of small vans that would give quite a relief to the main M6. Next time I won't bother as I only saved about 10 minutes :sad

We love and learn goldie ....not sure about that toll ,but the Cali goes through as a car on the M25 QE2 bridge toll ..

I understood the M6 toll rate was governed by the height of the vehicle at the front axle. Sure there's lots of stuff about this over on the T4/T5 Forums.

Always head for the manned booths on the Severn and Dartford crossings and have always paid the car rate.

The lady in the booth was adamant that it was due to a height of 1.3 metres being exceeded at the front axle. It was read by laser or some device as I approached, so no discretion or argument to be had even though I was prepared. :headbang

Pull up to a manned booth with a big queue of traffic behind you, search in vain for your caravan club membership card in order to get your discount... they'll eventually let you through at the discounted rate...

Or, if you do it often, join the Caravan club!

We've been having the same trouble in Italy over the last few weeks. The automatic sensors classify us as Class B together with single axle lorries and coaches and issue us a B ticket accordingly - which means you lose the argument when you pay at the next toll station because they just point to your ticket and tell you that they can't do anything about it. Where there is no automatic sensor it issues a ticket without a class and then the human operators always classed us as an A, because of the low front. Very frustrating, as I assumed that VW designed the front of the T5 especially to meet that height restriction.

At a height of 1.3 metres at the front wheel axis you have the windscreen. I wonder if you approach slowly the beam goes through and registers as type 2 and at faster speeds it doesn't and registers as type 4 hence the different results. Just a thought.

Back