Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mersey Gateway Tolls (Runcorn - Widnes) £6 for a Cali!

motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
It's not a place you would normally go to (apologies to Widnes residents), but beware if you are crossing this in a Cali.

We had to go to there last week and I thought the Cali would be best as we might have been hanging around a bit.

For us this meant using the new Mersey Gateway bridge from Runcorn to Widnes, and you have to go online to pay before or shortly after you cross.

I typed our reg no into the web form and was flabbergasted to find our Cali was down as Class 3 - vehicles up to 12 tons, and the toll was £6 each way.

So we went in the car instead - £2 each way.

I contacted Merseyflow via their web enquiry form and just had this reply

Thank you for contacting merseyflow.
In response to your query, all Campervans/Motorhomes with Body Type ‘Motorhome’ are Class 3 – this can be checked on the V5C. These classifications are normally used by the DVLA as part of the vehicle registration record and appear as “Vehicle type approval:” when checking a vehicle online. The merseyflow system uses this information to automatically denote the toll class of the vehicle.
Could you please forward a copy of your V5C so we can check the classification for you.
Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on 01928 878 878. Our opening times are Monday to Friday 8am – 8pm, weekends and bank holidays 9am – 6pm. Alternatively, come along to our walk-in centre, we are situated in 9 Howard Court, Manor Park, Runcorn WA71SJ.
Yours sincerely,

The Merseyflow Customer Service Team

They asked me to send a copy of the V5C, but it is a "noreply" address so of course it's been bounced back. So looks like a phone call. Really, I wouldn't be bothered 'cos I just won't go over it again, but I will because it needs sorting because it is unfair.

Will report back in due course.

:mad:

No point sending them the V5 as that will just confirm that they have classified you correctly.

Last edited:
I am sure there was something in Caravan and Motorhome Club mag last week but I have passed my copy on - anyone able to have a look

Isn't the M6 toll the same classification?

I find it incredible that you might have to justify otherwise, one of the many many petty things I don't miss about the UK

Try typing your Reg no in the web form.

https://www.merseyflow.co.uk/pay-for-crossing

It tells me that ours is a goods vehicle 3.5 to 12 tons!
Yes mine too. Red tape!!!! Considering the Cali is under 3.5 tonnes it's obviously an error but getting it sorted will need luck and perseverance.

Revenue weight would be the correct reference, 3080kgs for mine well under 3500kgs-12,000kgs

Last edited:
from crossing website

How much will it cost to drive a campervan over the bridges?

Campervans / motorhomes are class 3 vehicles so will cost £6 each way at the unregistered toll rate.

Why?
Campervans

The different classification of vehicles for toll purposes is to reflect that heavier vehicles do greater damage to the road infrastructure than lighter cars and so the toll level is increased to reflect this ongoing cost.

The classification of vehicles was originally dealt with in the Transport and Works Act orders (TWA) and the four different toll classes, which in simple terms, are 1) Motorbikes 2) Car and small vans 3) LGV and 4) HGV. (*)

In order to provide a definitive definition to these classes the TWA order refers to Road User Charging and Work Place Parking Levey (Classes of Motor Vehicles) (England) Regulations 2001, where a more detailed definition of the classes of motor vehicles is given.

These classification are normally used by the DVLA as part of the vehicle registration record and appear as “Vehicle type approval:” when checking a vehicle online. The merseyflow system uses this information to automatically denote the toll class of the vehicle.

Under the 2001 Regulations campervans, regardless of their weight, are classed as “Class L” and are not split between <3.5t and >3.5t under the TWA “Class L” vehicles are treated as “Class 3” for toll purposes.

(*) The precise definitions of the classification of vehicles for toll purposes can be found in The River Mersey (Mersey Gateway Bridge) Order 2011 in schedule 11 Level of Tolls Part 2 Classification of Vehicles where is states:

CLASS 1 VEHICLE means a moped falling within classifications A(a) and A(b); motorcycles falling within classifications B(a) and B(b); motor tricycles falling within classifications C(a) and C(b); and quadricycles falling within classifications D(a), D(b), E(a) and E(b).

CLASS 2 VEHICLE means motor vehicles with at least four wheels, used for the carriage of passengers, falling within classifications M1(a) and M1(b); and motor vehicles with at least four wheels, used for the carriage of goods falling within classification N1(a).

CLASS 3 VEHICLE means motor caravans falling within classifications L(a) and L(b); motor vehicles with at least four wheels, used for the carriage of passengers falling within classifications M2(a) and M2(b); and motor vehicles with at least four wheels used for the carriage of goods, falling within classifications N1(b), N2(a) and N2(b).

CLASS 4 VEHICLE means motor vehicles with at least four wheels, used for the carriage of passengers falling within classifications M3(a) and M3(b); and motor vehicles with at least four wheels used for the carriage of goods, falling within classifications N3(a) and N3(b).

Mine is a conversion, ta for the link, I hadn't found it. Anyhoo, my van is Class 2...

Well according to the information on the Gateway website the California should be Class 2 as far as I can see. It is M1 and less than 3,500 Kgms.

190CE393-4BAC-4711-8332-44DED4DEBE69.jpeg

Doesn’t mention Body Type, Just seating and weight.

5D56A9CE-3402-4CA4-A1E6-4EA64B72BBB6.jpeg

The California is classed as M1.

My DVLA information.

912CD320-D608-472E-8858-1078E59CF472.png

I think the Gateway Authority have made a cock-up and made some incorrect assumptions.

Definition of Vehicle Class M2 as used in their Class 3 definition.

B0709B3D-012C-48DB-8341-95D91B8DBBBC.jpeg

It's not a place you would normally go to (apologies to Widnes residents), but beware if you are crossing this in a Cali.

We had to go to there last week and I thought the Cali would be best as we might have been hanging around a bit.

For us this meant using the new Mersey Gateway bridge from Runcorn to Widnes, and you have to go online to pay before or shortly after you cross.

I typed our reg no into the web form and was flabbergasted to find our Cali was down as Class 3 - vehicles up to 12 tons, and the toll was £6 each way.

So we went in the car instead - £2 each way.

I contacted Merseyflow via their web enquiry form and just had this reply

Thank you for contacting merseyflow.
In response to your query, all Campervans/Motorhomes with Body Type ‘Motorhome’ are Class 3 – this can be checked on the V5C. These classifications are normally used by the DVLA as part of the vehicle registration record and appear as “Vehicle type approval:” when checking a vehicle online. The merseyflow system uses this information to automatically denote the toll class of the vehicle.
Could you please forward a copy of your V5C so we can check the classification for you.
Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on 01928 878 878. Our opening times are Monday to Friday 8am – 8pm, weekends and bank holidays 9am – 6pm. Alternatively, come along to our walk-in centre, we are situated in 9 Howard Court, Manor Park, Runcorn WA71SJ.
Yours sincerely,

The Merseyflow Customer Service Team

They asked me to send a copy of the V5C, but it is a "noreply" address so of course it's been bounced back. So looks like a phone call. Really, I wouldn't be bothered 'cos I just won't go over it again, but I will because it needs sorting because it is unfair.

Will report back in due course.

:mad:
See my reply above - I would Appeal / Complain.

According to the post #9 my V5 says motor caravan type M1 so should be class 2 not 3 so they SHOULD be challaned to correct this..

I’ve been across it about 6 times in mine and always paid £2 EW. No fines have come through yet

According to the post #9 my V5 says motor caravan type M1 so should be class 2 not 3 so they SHOULD be challaned to correct this..

and I think the Caravan and Motorhome club have but still got their latest magazine

Is the old bridge closed now forcing you to use the new one?
Yes, they are renovating it, and when it’s finished the tolls will apply there as well. Feel sorry for those who have to cross every day for work; only those very local to the bridge and below a certain council tax band are eligible for free passes.

Yes, they are renovating it, and when it’s finished the tolls will apply there as well. Feel sorry for those who have to cross every day for work; only those very local to the bridge and below a certain council tax band are eligible for free passes.
Shame that the English seem to take these imposts on the chin, the people in Skye made life so difficult for the authorities that they gave up trying to collect a toll.

Back