Cali classification for ferry bookings

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Forever young (ish!)
Staff member
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
If anyone goes with Brittany ferries, as I tend to , as I live in the West Country, any Cali owner can go as my guest, and get 10% off.....no catch...just send me a privâte message, and I will give you my real name and club voyage number.....why not.
Great offer. Very generous. We have done this several times with a French family we are friends with and as you say no problem.

CYCLOPATH

CYCLOPATH

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We stayed at a Band B in Normandy a few years back, and the woman gave use her number , which we used for a couple of years, till we got our own membership.
We now get 30% off, but have to pay the subscription....but it is no more expensive however many guests we have....So please enjoy.

Geoff York

Geoff York

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We've yet to pick up our Cali (fingers still crossed for 1 March) but we are exitedly planning some trips. We are hoping to travel to both the continent and Ireland this year so I've been looking into ferry and Eurotunnel costs. I've noticed that there is a significant price differential between cars and motorhomes. The variation is between 20% for a short channel crossing to as much as 40% for a crossing from Liverpool to Dublin.

Most ferry companies make provision for a large car being upto about 2.35m tall and 6m long. A Cali easily fits within that. DFDS helpfully clarify the difference between a car and a minibus (upto 8 seats is a car) but not between a car and a camper.

In terms of dimensions we could legitimately book the Cali as a large car. I believe it is classified as a car on the registration document - is that correct? The saving on an Irish Sea crossing is hundreds of pounds but I do not want to risk turning up and being denied boarding or made to pay again.

So I'm looking to seasoned members out there for advice as to whether you do,are your Cali as a car or a motorhome. Are the ferry companies happy to transport Calis as large cars or do they insist we pay for them as motorhomes?

Geoff York

Geoff York

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We've yet to pick up our Cali (fingers still crossed for 1 March) but we are exitedly planning some trips. We are hoping to travel to both the continent and Ireland this year so I've been looking into ferry and Eurotunnel costs. I've noticed that there is a significant price differential between cars and motorhomes. The variation is between 20% for a short channel crossing to as much as 40% for a crossing from Liverpool to Dublin.

Most ferry companies make provision for a large car being upto about 2.35m tall and 6m long. A Cali easily fits within that. DFDS helpfully clarify the difference between a car and a minibus (upto 8 seats is a car) but not between a car and a camper.

In terms of dimensions we could legitimately book the Cali as a large car. I believe it is classified as a car on the registration document - is that correct? The saving on an Irish Sea crossing is hundreds of pounds but I do not want to risk turning up and being denied boarding or made to pay again.

So I'm looking to seasoned members out there for advice as to whether you do,are your Cali as a car or a motorhome. Are the ferry companies happy to transport Calis as large cars or do they insist we pay for them as motorhomes?
Have used the tunnel, short crossings with P and O and dfds also pand o from hull to rotterdam...always booked as a car and never a query or problem.

C

Chris Edwards

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We stayed at a Band B in Normandy a few years back, and the woman gave use her number , which we used for a couple of years, till we got our own membership.
We now get 30% off, but have to pay the subscription....but it is no more expensive however many guests we have....So please enjoy.
Cyclopath. If you are still offering to share the code to help fellow Cali owners get a discount that would be great. Ive tried to message you but can't get it to work. Cheers. Chris

CYCLOPATH

CYCLOPATH

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Cyclopath. If you are still offering to share the code to help fellow Cali owners get a discount that would be great. Ive tried to message you but can't get it to work. Cheers. Chris
Yeah, it doesn't have to be secret
Name
Kettell
Number
F00GR7
If it doesn't work, let me know, and I will double check
Should be 10% France or Spain

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Private Messages or Conversations only works between VIP members.

CYCLOPATH

CYCLOPATH

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Just seen, I am not VIP any more....that deflated my ego a bit. I certainly used to be.

B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Main advantage of being in Brittany Ferries Club Voyage for me personally is a free cabin on afternoon sailing to France and again a free cabin on a France to UK morning sailing plus 10% of meals costing over £15.with up to 30% off the basic ferry crossing charge. First year charge is high with a joining fee on top of £70 annual cost.

The crossings I use are also the cheapest ones available which is why they offer a free cabin I guess.

Last edited:
CYCLOPATH

CYCLOPATH

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Main advantage of being in Brittany Ferries Club Voyage for me personally is a free cabin on afternoon sailing to France and again a free cabin on a France to UK morning sailing plus 10% of meals costing over £15.with up to 30% off the basic ferry crossing charge. First year charge is high with a joining fee on top of £70 annual cost.
Agree, though I choose the cheapest sailings, and always seem to miss the free things because of the timings,,,,,still well worth doing though

Old Sid

Old Sid

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
This has probably been covered already but Wightlink (Isle of Wight ferry) has a category for all vehicles under 2.25m hight & 5m long. The T5/T6 fits within that if you do not have a tow bar. They always check if I have a tow bar.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
This has probably been covered already but Wightlink (Isle of Wight ferry) has a category for all vehicles under 2.25m hight & 5m long. The T5/T6 fits within that if you do not have a tow bar. They always check if I have a tow bar.
Good to have a removable one then.:thumb

• Agree
Reactions: DM
jessecampervan

jessecampervan

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Any tips for Fishguard or Pembroke to Rosslare. We're doing two weeks in June and so the planning starts. 300 odd return sat to sat, and booking as a van - Irish or Stena ferry. Thinking we might worry about sites or not when we are on the move; wondering what wifi will be like over there. Thoughts and experiences appreciated.

jackelliemolly

jackelliemolly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Found out Beach classified as car which is why get run around on camper insurance. May be benefits then on travel.

struds

struds

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Thanks for the tip of putting the exact vehicle in AFerry.co.uk. I added 0.5m for bike height above roof and 1.00m for bike rack length and just got a cracking summer deal - £92 return including 20% discount for P&O ferries if booked by 31/03/17...2 days left. Don't miss out if planning a trip.

DM

DM

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Thanks for the tip of putting the exact vehicle in AFerry.co.uk. I added 0.5m for bike height above roof and 1.00m for bike rack length and just got a cracking summer deal - £92 return including 20% discount for P&O ferries if booked by 31/03/17...2 days left. Don't miss out if planning a trip.
Thanks for the reminder - must book tomorrow.

DM

DM

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Just sneaked my Dover Calais booking at 11pm last night to get the early booking discount.

I endorse the tip about aferry.com. It's lists the Cali as a vehicle in 'cars' so very easy to get it right. Also automatically applied available discounts.

Just one note of caution. You are booking through an agent so that means any changes will have to be done through the agent. They will add an administration fee to any changes that you may wish to make - £25 I think. That'll be on top of the ferry company's fees. Also not sure what the situation will be if you get delayed and turn-up late. Will it be possible to re-schedule at the check-in cabin or do you have to call aferry?

D

DDCook

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Resurrecting rather than starting a new thread.

Has anyone booked the Cali as a car selecting a multivan where they have to select car type?
Corsica ferries is posing an issue, the crossing I want is full for campers over 2m, however their booking system automatically defaults the Cali to that height when I put in my total length of 6m (Cali+ bike rack), whereas they have space for a car of 6m long and under 2m high, so I could book this and classified as a multivan rather than Cali.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Resurrecting rather than starting a new thread.

Has anyone booked the Cali as a car selecting a multivan where they have to select car type?
Corsica ferries is posing an issue, the crossing I want is full for campers over 2m, however their booking system automatically defaults the Cali to that height when I put in my total length of 6m (Cali+ bike rack), whereas they have space for a car of 6m long and under 2m high, so I could book this and classified as a multivan rather than Cali.
What kind of bike rack?