Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Toluca Alloy Wheel required

A

Alistair Hardy

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi I have 2015 T5 with Toluca 18" rims and a bottle of puncture repair fluid.
I would like to buy a single Toluca alloy as a spare wheel does anyone know where I can buy a single rim and not a full set, second hand would be fine for the job.
Thanks

Where are you going to store it?

An alloy wheel under the van will be destroyed in no time.
My steel rim is already as rusty as can be, just from hanging outside under the van.

An 18 inch alloy won’t fit under the van
You might be right. My 215/65R16 is already hard to place when the van is on the ground.
The 18" is what? 235? that is 2 cm too wide, plus the damage it takes from installing and driving around with it.

Then there is no problem. Just to find one.
I bought my alloys on flea bay.
You might just find one for your needs?

Sure I’ve been looking there and elsewhere on the net.
But so far just full sets for sale no one prepared to sell single wheel.

Sure I’ve been looking there and elsewhere on the net.
But so far just full sets for sale no one prepared to sell single wheel.
You would be better off getting a 17” steel spare. Fitted with the correct 17” tyre it will have the same diameter as your 18” wheels and can either be carried in the back, taking up valuable storage capacity, or purchase the underside wheel carrier and use it as a get u home spare.
17” steel wheels common on eBay.

If there is a compressor and a can of gunk i doubt there is a spare wheel holder

If there is a compressor and a can of gunk i doubt there is a spare wheel holder
All those parts can be ordered. The underside will be equipped for the holder.

That is right, but what do you prefer? A securely held spare wheel, or € 112.066328 in your pocket, and something that you might worry about if it will stay in place?

You would be better off getting a 17” steel spare. Fitted with the correct 17” tyre it will have the same diameter as your 18” wheels and can either be carried in the back, taking up valuable storage capacity, or purchase the underside wheel carrier and use it as a get u home spare.
That sounds like a plan does having a tow bar affect the wheel carrier option?

just a little bit for getting the spare wheel in and out, but with a flat tyre, you are glad you have a spare wheel, even a little bothered to get it out with a tow bar.

just a little bit for getting the spare wheel in and out, but with a flat tyre, you are glad you have a spare wheel, even a little bothered to get it out with a tow bar.
Thanks
So an 18” rim won’t fit in the spare wheel carrier
It’s been suggested using a 17” steel rim as a get home spare option
Are you saying it would have to be stored flat to allow it in the recess

Hi someone has suggested an 18” won’t fit in the wheel carrier my question is will a 17” steel with as you say the right tyre fitted for correct diameter fit in the wheel carrier also would it have to be stored flat
Thank you

Thanks
So an 18” rim won’t fit in the spare wheel carrier
It’s been suggested using a 17” steel rim as a get home spare option
Are you saying it would have to be stored flat to allow it in the recess
The spare wheel carrier accommodates 16 and 17" wheels with fully inflated tyres.
With a Towbar fitted, especially a fixed rather than removable one, you just have to jack the rear end a little higher as the Towbar prevents the wheel sliding out almost horizontally. Not really a problem.

Hi someone has suggested an 18” won’t fit in the wheel carrier my question is will a 17” steel with as you say the right tyre fitted for correct diameter fit in the wheel carrier also would it have to be stored flat
Thank you
Yes. That's where I carry my 17" + tyre inflated to 50psi.

The spare wheel carrier accommodates 16 and 17" wheels with fully inflated tyres.
With a Towbar fitted, especially a fixed rather than removable one, you just have to jack the rear end a little higher as the Towbar prevents the wheel sliding out almost horizontally. Not really a problem.
Thanks when you said the right tyre fitted a 17” steel rim would end up at the right diameter then that will still fit the carrier? Sorry to be so ignorant on this I’ve just acquired the cali and hate the idea of getting a puncture and not having a spare on board
Your help is much appreciated

Hi, my 2016 Ocean 4M has a 17” steel spare with 235/55R17 fully inflated in carrier underneath - seems to fit without problems

Back