Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tom Tom Sat Nav Mount - any advice?

GreatResigner

GreatResigner

Done sending emails
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi All, I am an new member and the new proud owner of a 2007 2.5 California T5. I have splashed out on a Tom Tom Go Discover SatNav and have done a bit of looking around on a mount for it. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on this bit of kit, or sat nav mounts for Calis, more generally please?

To be honest I would not have bought a Tomtom. But I used to own several in the past. Google maps or apple maps on the phone work just as good even better then most expensive external sat naves. But if I was you I would go for a suction mount on the windscreen. Or a vent mount. Easy to install and leave no marks when removed aftherwards.

As above - I'd send it back and use Waze on the phone. A zillion phone mounts out there and a lot less hassle than having to manage, charge and update a seperate unit.

Have a search on eBay.You need to consider do you want it on top of the dash or mounted to air vets - have tried both and prefer on top of the dash.
Personally, I am a fan of a stand-alone Tomtom or Garmin unit over Waze or google maps.
PS welcome to the forum.

Also prefer top of dash as satnav location. What I have done is to make an infill piece for the right hand recess of the dash tray (think your 2007 dash also has essentially the same tray as my 2012 ). Carved a piece of wood to fit and glued some perspex on the top to which the TomTom (or Garmin in my case) suction mount can be attached. Worked well for many years/ journeys although I should have used a bit of black to minimise reflections. I'll try and take some photos later.

I've been using a genuine TomTom vent mounting for past 6+yearsin the Cali. Bit pricey now.

Dashtop or windscreen when it's in the car (s).

Back