Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

projector from sat nav

T

Tomcali

VIP Member
Has anybody tried projecting a dvd using the vertical section of the pop up as a screen?

We have a Kenwood sat nav that has an integrated dvd player.
The sound is impressive and comes from all speakers, including the ones installed in the overhead storage unit at the back of the cali.

Would be great to sit in the back to watch if the weather turns for the worst but the angle of the sat nav screen makes it difficult to see clearly when in the back seats.
Not being a 'Techy' I am unsure about AV cables connection etc.

Any advice appreciated.

Tomcali

My advice, as somebody who has spent a lot of time working out the best camping cinema setup, is ignore the Kenwood, and get a pocket projector!!

I use a Philips PicoPix PPX 3610 connected via hdmi cable to my iPhone, and a Big Jambox for awesome outdoor sound.

Thanks for advice - just looked at the philips it looks a neat piece of kit and really small.

I would really love to integrate to the existing speaker system if poss' save carrying extra gear.

Tom

You could always plug the projector into the Aux in, but that will only be stereo. (The RNS510 allegedly has 5.1 capabilities, but no idea if this is true)

I always though that you could use a mini projector to project onto the rear window blind, then you could watch from the front seats swiveled - has anyone tried this.

T

Thanks Teeboy

What is "The RNS510 allegedly has 5.1 capabilities".

Right over the head that one I'm afraid - I have limited Technical knowledge/background.

Cheers

T

teeboy said:
You could always plug the projector into the Aux in, but that will only be stereo. (The RNS510 allegedly has 5.1 capabilities, but no idea if this is true)

I always though that you could use a mini projector to project onto the rear window blind, then you could watch from the front seats swiveled - has anyone tried this.

T

Just given it a go... awesome!.. I've bee projecting onto the sliding door for outdoor viewing, but with two people and the projector sat on my folded beach bench seat with a gorilla pod camera stand, and my Big Jambox!... excellent indoor alternative!!

Thanks!!

Also works well projecting image onto the front of the roof bellows, wil projector on top of the wardrobe. With roof open & bed pushed up of course. Not tried using rns aux in yet but plan to try it. Only problem being rns will switch off after half an hour.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

I suspect you need to be careful which movie you watch though Andy :shocked

redredzimmer said:
teeboy said:

T

Just given it a go... awesome!.. I've bee projecting onto the sliding door for outdoor viewing, but with two people and the projector sat on my folded beach bench seat with a gorilla pod camera stand, and my Big Jambox!... excellent indoor alternative!!

Thanks!!

Of course that means I have to get one now :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

Stu said:
I suspect you need to be careful which movie you watch though Andy :shocked

Yes, Big Mac & I were watching Chainsaw Massacre on his awning side at wicksteed & realized that it could be seen very well from other side but in reverse. A lot of kids on the site that weekend, wonder if any had nightmares !!

Martin said:
Big Mac is the person to speak to, he created an on site cinema at COTF

Yes he used his awning side as a screen which works very well.

We regularly take a laptop to watch a film in the evenings. Our usual set up is the laptop on the worktop over the sink, we each sit long ways on the bench seat and driver seat (legs across the passenger seat), plus the laptop plugged into the Aux in socket.

Sound is great in the Cali and works well for us.

We have to make sure it's not turned up too loud to disturb our neighbours!!

Switching the sound back on every hour is a bit of a pain though!

Back