Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Top Tips for new owner

I

Ian7985

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi everyone I will be picking up my VW Cali this Sunday, i have never owned one before and have only used motorhomes. I am very interested in what people would recommend has a must have and where would the best place be for purchasing such items.
Thanks

There are a lot of things you can buy, the club shop, hookup cable, wheel levellers etc etc. The shop also has countless other items from mattress toppers to chopping boards and you can get a discount with your VIP membership.

My advise would be to use the van a little and get a feel for what you use and find the stuff to meet a need. I have purchased a lot of stuff over the years I've never used and yet other bits and pieces I always use.

For me the first thing I'd get is a sparesafe, to secure the spare wheel which in its factory state can be easily removed by thieves.

Well firstly congrats! Totally agree with @MattBW use it a little first to figure out what you want and get past the over packing phase. I did get a hook up cable straight away though as we had packed a coffee machine :)

Do you have a driveway? If so put in a few basics in your new Cali, cutlery, cups, glasses, a kettle, some water in the tank, something to read, a duvet, pillows, blankets, a change of clothes and a few provisions and spend the night on the driveway. (don't forget to have your house keys with you).You will soon find out what you need and what you would like and what you can do without. And if all goes horribly wrong (which it wont) you can go back inside your house.
Enjoy yourselves.

1 spare safe
2 hook up lead - to charge batteries at home if nothing else.
3 gas bottle if not supplied.
4 Food, drink, pans & kettle.
5 Sleeping bag/ duvet.
6 cash to buy dinner in pub if 4 doesn't work out.
7 internet connection so you can come on here at midnight & ask how to work the heater.
8 Coat hooks - either screw in or stick on (opinion as to which are best is divided)

As others have said take what you've already got, then decide what you might need later. We've only used half the stuff we ever bought for the van.

Welcome Ian7985!
If not already done, become a VIP Member on here?
I guess you are a experienced camper so you know what you‘d like to have in your new Cali. Btw a coffee machine was also one of my first things I wanted.
Enjoy and I look forward to some pictures!

I agree with the above and would add;-
a) Bellows Bungee which helps to make the canvas roof fold in when you lower it rather than get tangled up in the metal guillotine that puts the roof up and down.
b) Go to a meet and meet other owners. We love to discuss how we camp and what we have found useful and what was less so
c) Watch the short videos by California Chris
this one will start you off. He covers a large range of subjects in small chunks and explains how to do the range of tasks from putting up & lowering the roof, turning the front seats, and so on. Watch it on YouTube so you get the other ones by him suggested as well.

It a passport to a completely new and exciting lifestyle which can take you on some fabulous adventures and introduce you to a lot of lovely people.

I agree with the above comments. Don't go rushing off out to buy loads of stuff. The most essential items for a first trip out are tea, coffee and sticky buns. The rest will become obvious as you use it. Congratulations.

I agree , California Chris videos are brilliant. I've had my Cali for 4mths now, and the YouTube videos showed me things I still didn't know.

This one is mine second California (4motion). I try to get life in my Cali enjoyable. And I show you wahat I found over the years.
1. put a 6mm elastic band AROUND the canvas. This will make the closure much easier.
2. ladder to climb EASY into the top [see https://www.maxxcamp.de/en/shop/products/228_ladder.php]
3. I found at IKEA draw organiser
4. In DiY I found this SUNDIS boxes these fit exact under the bed.
5. In the VW shop in NL they sell a box which fits exact behind the drivers chair.
6. the boxes between the chairs is a BRABANTA brandproduct

If you drive to Europe, special France, Spain or Italy, VW California's have high interests by thiefs. To protect my Cali I have installed a www.BAERLOCK.eu. It is mechanic extra locker to block the gaerbox handle.
None of these products I found on the Calfornia web.

Enjoy your trips.

20180210_134222.jpg

20180210_134312.jpg

20180210_134450.jpg

20180210_134610.jpg

20180210_134926.jpg

20180210_134937.jpg

I agree with the above and would add;-
a) Bellows Bungee which helps to make the canvas roof fold in when you lower it rather than get tangled up in the metal guillotine that puts the roof up and down.
b) Go to a meet and meet other owners. We love to discuss how we camp and what we have found useful and what was less so
c) Watch the short videos by California Chris
this one will start you off. He covers a large range of subjects in small chunks and explains how to do the range of tasks from putting up & lowering the roof, turning the front seats, and so on. Watch it on YouTube so you get the other ones by him suggested as well.

It a passport to a completely new and exciting lifestyle which can take you on some fabulous adventures and introduce you to a lot of lovely people.

SimonB thanks for the videos have found them really interesting and helpful. I will need to play with it to get use to the, but they have some good tips.

Thanks everyone, what would be the
This one is mine second California (4motion). I try to get life in my Cali enjoyable. And I show you wahat I found over the years.
1. put a 6mm elastic band AROUND the canvas. This will make the closure much easier.
2. ladder to climb EASY into the top [see https://www.maxxcamp.de/en/shop/products/228_ladder.php]
3. I found at IKEA draw organiser
4. In DiY I found this SUNDIS boxes these fit exact under the bed.
5. In the VW shop in NL they sell a box which fits exact behind the drivers chair.
6. the boxes between the chairs is a BRABANTA brandproduct

If you drive to Europe, special France, Spain or Italy, VW California's have high interests by thiefs. To protect my Cali I have installed a www.BAERLOCK.eu. It is mechanic extra locker to block the gaerbox handle.
None of these products I found on the Calfornia web.

Enjoy your trips.

View attachment 29875

View attachment 29876

View attachment 29877

View attachment 29878

View attachment 29879

View attachment 29880

Great Ideas Ewoud D I am very conscious about theft and have tried your link but for some reason i can't view it. I have currently got a normal steering wheel lock and thinking of a wheel clamp. Any suggestions?

Mattress toppers is something that i will be looking at any recommendations?

Hi everyone, well today was my first day playing with my new toy:)))) and I have a quick question.
The double seat runners are stiff when trying to pull it forward to make into a bed, what can you use to lubricate it?

Having done a lot of searching I have decided to go for the Duvalay Mattress topper, which has good reviews.I will let you know how I get on.
http://www.duvalay.co.uk/2.5cm-Gold-Portable-Topper-122cm

Hi everyone, well today was my first day playing with my new toy:)))) and I have a quick question.
The double seat runners are stiff when trying to pull it forward to make into a bed, what can you use to lubricate it?

Having done a lot of searching I have decided to go for the Duvalay Mattress topper, which has good reviews.I will let you know how I get on.
http://www.duvalay.co.uk/2.5cm-Gold-Portable-Topper-122cm
The trick with the seat is to sit in the middle of it, lift the lever and use your legs to walk it forward or push it back keeping it parallel on the runners – I hope that makes sense.

Back