Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

'Toppers' - are they necessary?

H

Harrythecat

VIP Member
We've had our Cali for about 6 months now. We've toured abroad and done a few weekend trips in variable weather.

The pop up has been wet on a number of occasions but we've yet to have any water get inside. We adhere to 'tent' rules with nothing laid up against the fabric.

The 'Duvalays' we use are really warm and we've slept 'up top' in minus temperatures using the heater to take the chill off for getting in and out of bed.

Given all that I'm not sure whether it's necessary to invest in any form of 'topper' unless we decided to go skiing in the van which, given that we've got access to good accommodation in the alps, is unnecessary.

Is there anyone else who camps throughout the year without using 'toppers' or have we just been lucky so far :?:

We purchased one of the Cali Toppers just before Christmas but I think we will only use it when the weather is severe, there is nothing worse if you are touring than having to put a wet canvas down on to the bed. It fits in with the chairs in the tailgate so you can just forget about it which makes it ideal.

I've also been looking at these as they're obviously useful. I was going to get the one without windows hoping that it would keep the kids asleep for a little longer in the mornings. My dilemma is that I normally have a roof rack on so it would be a lot of hassle removing it each time.

The Pucer is "topless" - we often have bars on the roof so it was essential.

So far it has resisted near monsoon rain and force 10 winds (although we didn't!). The night we left it off and it rained hard (with wind) our poor 1 year old woke up soaked - oops!

I think the roof should be much more waterproof as standard.