Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Torn Bellow

Whitehouse_03

Whitehouse_03

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I’m devastated, I have torn the roof. It’s only minor but still I’m so, so annoyed. I have a bungee around the bellow but it caught in the mechanism. I’m really not sure how but I’m gutted. From what I’ve read, Tear Aid seems to be the way forward. Does anyone disagree? Any tips to prevent this happening again? Thank you. Off to sulk....

Sorry to hear!
As far as I remember Tear Aid was the way to go.
When I lower the roof I open some doors/windows to let the „air“ from upstairs flow through (no idea if this is any good or just stupid me) and stop after 5-10 sec to check and then go on to stop after another sec later OR my partner is walking around during the lowering and is instructed to shout if anything looks not as it supposed to look.

Tear aid is available in the club shop and will fix it for sure. Bellows bungee can also help avoid tears won't guarantee it but will make it far less likely.

Last edited:
I am so careful every time to the point of paranoid, I lower in stages getting out each time to check. Mind you the T6 folds a lot better than our old T5 but still go through the motions.
Tear aid is available in the club shop and will fix it for sure. Bellows bungee can also help avoid tears won't guarantee it but will make it far less likely.

Think he had a bungee fitted :(

It is the one thing I like about the manual roof on my beach, I can lower it so slowly and keep a close eye.

I am so careful every time to the point of paranoid, I lower in stages getting out each time to check. Mind you the T6 folds a lot better than our old T5 but still go through the motions.

Think he had a bungee fitted :(

Yes, we do have a bungee on :( Maybe it needs replacing. I’ve got my tear-aid so I’m off to repair. Does it matter if I repair from inside or out? Thanks once again

Yes, we do have a bungee on :( Maybe it needs replacing. I’ve got my tear-aid so I’m off to repair. Does it matter if I repair from inside or out? Thanks once again

I would not like to advise, as I have not had the misfortune of tearing our bellows. I feel your pain. We don't have a Bungee. I never felt the need due to my OCD approach to lowering the roof.

I would not like to advise, as I have not had the misfortune of tearing our bellows. I feel your pain. We don't have a Bungee. I never felt the need due to my OCD approach to lowering the roof.
stick the tear aid on both sides
Thanks. Yes, that’s what I did to be on the safe side. I’ll get to test it this weekend as the forecast is rubbish!

Back