Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Worries

M

Mrbluesky

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hello
I’m new to site and have a few concerns having read threads.
I’m thinking of getting a T6 Cali Ocean but am worried about potential roof issues, hydraulic failure and bubbling paint in particular.
Will be buying used from VW dealer.

Is the paint issue covered by VW warranty and if so , how long is warranty?

The hydraulic mechanism, is this vulnerable and how do I look after it?

Am I being paranoid, can’t believe thinking of spending so much but we have fallen in love with Cali Ocean. Is it going to be worth the money? We are aiming to keep the vehicle for a fair few years.
Any advice greatly appreciated and any tips for what to look out for.

Thanks
mrbluesky

According to VW the roof corrosion is out of the way on the T6 ....they been proven wrong .
If you don't like the hydrolic roof get a Coast .

Your not paranoid , it's a lot of money and normal you think about those things ;)
Welcome

Hello
I’m new to site and have a few concerns having read threads.
I’m thinking of getting a T6 Cali Ocean but am worried about potential roof issues, hydraulic failure and bubbling paint in particular.
Will be buying used from VW dealer.

Is the paint issue covered by VW warranty and if so , how long is warranty?

The hydraulic mechanism, is this vulnerable and how do I look after it?

Am I being paranoid, can’t believe thinking of spending so much but we have fallen in love with Cali Ocean. Is it going to be worth the money? We are aiming to keep the vehicle for a fair few years.
Any advice greatly appreciated and any tips for what to look out for.

Thanks
mrbluesky
I’m afraid there is a touch of paranoia.
The Hydraulic Roof is a sealed for life system. No real maintenance, well certainly not by VW. Remember, you only get the problem postings on a Forum. There isn’t a “ My roof works perfectly “ Forum or Thread. 99.5% of vehicles have no problems.

The “ Corrosion “ is not rust but Galvanic Corrosion caused by Aluminium Roof Panel in electrical contact with the steel within the Edging Seal. It may be fixed in vehicles built in 2017 onwards. Only time will tell.

Corrosion on the panel above the windscreen was a problem on the T5.1 supposedly fixed on Model Year 2015.

I’m afraid nothing is certain in life, but a California life style is something else.

Or to pu it another way....
A California Ocean depreciation is up there with the best of them (Government punishment on diesel owners accepted).
If you buy one and the roof corrosion does occur years down the line you will not be alone and I don't see how VW will not honour a scheme for repair like they do for the 'pre-fix' ones. That does currently have a 6 year term though.
I can't add anything about the hydraulics but again within a warranty period you have nothing to be concerned about so if you go ahead with a purchase and take the extended warranty you get 5 years where you are covered. Then if you are still worried, sell with that minimal depreciation and reflect on the fun times.
You'd fail to get that kind of residual on most other things ....or keep it and tackle issues that you would with any brand or model of transport.
Any forum I have been on is full of horror stories too.
Range Rover Evoques are about as robust as a chocolate tea pot by all accounts and I had 2 in a row with no major concerns at all.
Good Luck.

Welcome to the forum!

Do not worry about any of those things you have read. It’s like reading a medical book, you come away thinking you’ve got all sorts of ailments!

There is a checklist of things to look out for when buying in the downloads section, it’s about 4 pages long and includes things like checking all the equipment that should be included is there, checking roof operation etc.

You have to become a VIP member to access the downloads section, though; this costs £15 iirc but you will get this back on accessory discounts and other benefits.

So that is your first step on the road to being a California nutter like the rest of us on here!

:welcome

Welcome MrBluesky

Almost everything said I just want to give the view of a secondhand buyer.
- Until now we never regret buying a California.
- Although our van is quite old, has roof bubbles, the roof sinks on one side after a day, has no chance to get a „green sticker for the cities“ (5 pot engine) it is so much joy and gave us great and unique moments travelling and camping with it.
- We love it! We just turned from two to three and hope we cope with the new situation however our first two camping trips went well.
- It is expensive but worth every penny
- VIP Membership/this community helps a lot!

Look forward to read how you decided!

Welcome Mr Bluesky.... (Why do I have ELO playing in my head when I type that? ).....

Roof corrosion: A major problem to those who have experienced it but as WG and others have said, you do not hear much from those who have not had the problem, of which thankfully I am one.

Hydraulics: Problems are rare, definitely not something to put me off buying a Cali.

Overall the california is a superbly competent and well put together machine that give the vast majority thousands of miles and hundreds of days of trouble free camping.