Tow bar and Parking sensors question

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I am in the process of spewing a California SE that I intend to purchase in the autumn, when I retire. However, I have a few questions.
I want a bike rack for 2 bikes, but I want to be able to open the tailgate with the bikes on, and be able to enter the majority of car parks with the bikes on. That means a towbar rack.
Why does the vehicle have to be programmed to the towbar?
What happens if you have rear parking sensors? Will they still work in some fashion when the rack is fitted?
Any information much appreciated. Thank you. :thanks

Last week we had a towbar fitted to take our Westfalia rack and our two electric bikes. The towbar was fitted by our local VW garage. We had hoped to be able to open the tailgate completely with the bikes on but dropped sideways. This is not possible. We can open the tailgate enough to get at the lower storage space but by no means fully. As for the parking sensors - they work without the rack but I have not tried them with rack and bikes on.

If it is not coded to the van then when you, or someone else tows something heavy such as a caravan it will damage the rear brakes as the braking balance will be incorrect for towing weight.
Also enables other stuff, switches rear parking sensors off when you plug electrics in. When towing & using fog light it switches Cali fog light off.

Removable westfalia towbar (OEM) with vehicle dedicated electrics can be bought for £326 delivered here....
http://www.pfjones.co.uk/vw-t5-transporter-oct-2009-on-detachable-towbar.html
You need Wesfalia part numbers
bar 321 651 691 111
electrics 321 454 300 14

PF Jones quoted me £180 to fit £70 to code to vehicle.

Hope this helps

There is also the added benefit of anti theft with a properly installed OEM tow bar. If the electrics are plugged when the van is locked and subsequently unplugged the vehicle alarm will sound.

Coding can be carried out by those of us with VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) so if you need some help and our paths cross I am more than happy to assist.

New vans can have tow bar prep already installed which removes a lot of the hard work with installing a tow bar.

Stu said:
New vans can have tow bar prep already installed which removes a lot of the hard work with installing a tow bar.

I wish !!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Thanks all. Found the Bike rack that will allow rear door to open. Now just need the vehicle.
► 1:12► 1:12 [url=http://www.youtu...VU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNlBwfb6FVU
15 Feb 2013 - Uploaded by Jamie Austen
Atera Strada DL3 fitted to a VW T5 California, you can open the tailgate without removing the ...[/url]

Welsh Gas, I note from your signature that you have a reversing camera. I too have bought an Atera towbar rack and I have ordered a reversing camera with my new T6, does it work when the bike rack is attached? I assume the parking sensors are de-activated when the lighting lead is plugged in and I wondered ii that also includes the camera?

Just beware with a DL3 if you have long bars on Mtbs you may have to be a bit careful opening tailgate as they don’t always clear it.

Thanks, I have already discovered that but I have found it more useful than the standard T5 rack which has a similar problem and scratches the roof! I bought the Atera Evo 3 but it is very similar to the DL3.

Welsh Gas, I note from your signature that you have a reversing camera. I too have bought an Atera towbar rack and I have ordered a reversing camera with my new T6, does it work when the bike rack is attached? I assume the parking sensors are de-activated when the lighting lead is plugged in and I wondered ii that also includes the camera?
Yes, Sensors disabled, but NOT Rear view Camera. You get a limited view depending on the bikes being carried but easy to reverse with some additional care required. eg: you can see the kerb or parking line easily enough.

I am in the process of spewing a California SE that I intend to purchase in the autumn, when I retire. However, I have a few questions.
I want a bike rack for 2 bikes, but I want to be able to open the tailgate with the bikes on, and be able to enter the majority of car parks with the bikes on. That means a towbar rack.
Why does the vehicle have to be programmed to the towbar?
What happens if you have rear parking sensors? Will they still work in some fashion when the rack is fitted?
Any information much appreciated. Thank you. :thanks

Check my post out from a few years back:
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/thule-easyfold-931.17874/#post-204168

Hope it’s helpful.

Thanks charlifornia though I have the Atera Strata Evo 3. Superb bit of kit imho currently in Tours France with two ebikes and the rack has done the job well, though I agree with smcd re positioning bikes.

Back