Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tow bar prep option fitted anyone successfully used this to complete VW detachable tow bar? Was this a waste of time and money?

J

Jjmjmj55555mj

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
When ordering we were undecided on which bike rack type would use so we Paid for the tow bar prep option on our california ocean “22 plate.
Has this been a waste of time and money ?
Direct contact with independent fitters state they will not use the tow bar prep loom and will only fit their own full new complete loom.
? question why do VW offer tow bar prep option?
Has anyone successfully used this tow bar prep to fit a detachable tow bar, using the prep option factory fitted loom? Dealerships are quoting for a whole new loom including extended workshop time, even with the factory prep. Makes the exercise very expensive. Realise we should have opted for factory fit tow bar!!!

When ordering we were undecided on which bike rack type would use so we Paid for the tow bar prep option on our california ocean “22 plate.
Direct contact with independent fitters state they will not use the tow bar prep loom and will only fit their own full new complete loom.
Has anyone successfully used this tow bar prep to fit a detachable tow bar, using the prep option factory fitted loom? Dealerships are quoting for a whole new loom including extended workshop time, even with the factory prep. Makes the exercise very expensive. Realise we should have opted for factory fit tow bar!!!
have you been quoted for a westfalia Tow bar
this is what you should finish up with using the fitted loom.

When we ordered a Westfailer detachable tow bar with fitting from PF Jones (T6) they asked if the vehicles had been preped at the factory. The fitting kit they send is different depending on prep or not. The prepped kit was cheaper, a bit. Our t6 is not a California but I doubt this makes any difference.

Third party fitter will run new wiring as then they can be sure it’s been done correctly, and then code it correctly, give you a warranty on their work & far easier for them to fix if there is an issue at a later date.

If you use the original loom and have an issue. VW will blame the third party fitter, fitter will blame VW!…leaving you with a diagnostic bill & faulty towbar electrics.

VW will charge you for new loom as it’s unlikely that they will actually carry out the work themselves. They will give the work to a local company and then add % on the final bill.

Last edited:
From memory, doesn’t towbar prep also add trailer stabilisation? From what is being said above it seems a fairly pointless option for wiring alone.

Thank you for your comments and help. . Off to do more research

From previous questions on this option I seem to recall that accessing the VW prep wiring is difficult and time consuming > that's the main reason why Independent suppliers/fitters do their own complete installation.

Thank you for your comments and help. . Off to do more research
I had mine ordered with a detachable tow bar. Works great and when you don't need it it's easily stored in the tool box located in the back under the second bench. But you had "only" ordered the preparation set. When using this for any kind of tow bar installation please be aware of the CAN-bus system (single wire)

I had mine ordered with a detachable tow bar. Works great and when you don't need it it's easily stored in the tool box located in the back under the second bench. But you had "only" ordered the preparation set. When using this for any kind of tow bar installation please be aware of the CAN-bus system (single wire)
Plus one for detachable tow bar option - everything is expensive when speccing a new Cali but I took the approach of you only do it once and took a deep breath when I saw the final spec cost.
I’ve used tow bar on family holidays with grown up kids and trips to top with garden rubbish ect - overall glad I specced it :thumb

VW towbar prep includes Vehicle coding.
All that is needed is the towbar and VW connection lead from the Prep connection, normally found taped to the body panel by the watertank screw lid. No coding of vehicle needed.

Third party fitter will run new wiring as then they can be sure it’s been done correctly, and then code it correctly, give you a warranty on their work & far easier for them to fix if there is an issue at a later date.

If you use the original loom and have an issue. VW will blame the third party fitter, fitter will blame VW!…leaving you with a diagnostic bill & faulty towbar electrics.

VW will charge you for new loom as it’s unlikely that they will actually carry out the work themselves. They will give the work to a local company and then add % on the final bill.
We have towbar prep, but this is what our towbar fitter did on Wednesday and for the same reason.

Interesting as we had the same issue when we decided to fit a towbar. Like yourselves we had tow bar prep from factory and decided to fit a westfalia towbar the following year. However the fitter couldn't find the connector to link in to the factory towbar prep wiring and wanted to connect via their own wiring to the engine compartment. I insisted that they use the factory wiring installed on the basis that it was there and I had paid for it and I was also not sure if a 3rd party fit would enable the factory coding.
As they couldn't find the connection to access the wiring loom I phoned my dealer who advised the connection point was behind the water/ehu plate. Once they removed this plate the connection was found and made using the correct wiring harness. The added benefit was that it then did not require any external coding.
In hind sight I would have ordered the towbar as an option from factory...

I am going top fit a Westfalia Tow bar to my VW Calfornia 2019 with factory two bar prep.
after reading above thread is the connection behind the hockup lead and water tank connection on left hand side of the van ? Do remove this and I will find the taped wire to body panel ? Also how do you get new 13 pin wire to that factory fitted wire, is there an entry hole underneath the van ? and where is it please ?

Amy help would be great thanks Ken

I am going top fit a Westfalia Tow bar to my VW Calfornia 2019 with factory two bar prep.
after reading above thread is the connection behind the hockup lead and water tank connection on left hand side of the van ? Do remove this and I will find the taped wire to body panel ? Also how do you get new 13 pin wire to that factory fitted wire, is there an entry hole underneath the van ? and where is it please ?

Amy help would be great thanks Ken
Remove the plastic underbody shield on the rear NS of the vehicle. I gather there should be a hole with a rubber grommet or plug for access into the vehicle.

I believe that after connecting it needs coding into the system.

I believe that after connecting it needs coding into the system.
It has been mentioned that the Option - Towbar prep includes the necessary coding from the factory. You just need the necessary hardware and the final wiring loom connected.

Back