Tow bar prep

Mr T

Mr T

Chris
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hi, are there any visual indicators that a Cali has Tow Bar prep "installed"?

Thanks

1D7 on the Code sticker under the seat

I don't think you can have both because the factory fitted towbar includes the loom. The Towbar prep is the loom only. You should have the 1D1 code.

Ok thanks. It is the 1D2 (Trailer hitch, removable and lockable) code I have.

Tow bar prep usually is just the connectors and loom to take the wiring supplied by the bar manufacturer, It will include indicators, reversing and breaks complete with a relay. On cars it alters the braking and some steering function together with reversing sensors when the trailer is on.
You can also find the 1D7 on the sticker inside the front cover of the Service Schedule - it is the first letters of the last line at the bottom.
Just a note - if you are fitting this yourself, you may have to reprogram the vehicle controller - this is something for an auto technician with some special kit. luckily I have a mate with the kit. Hope that helps.

I've just bought an Ocean, and was told it has towbar prep, but it has the code 1D2 rather than 1D7, does any one know how this preparation differs from the 1D7 preparation?

I've just bought an Ocean, and was told it has towbar prep, but it has the code 1D2 rather than 1D7, does any one know how this preparation differs from the 1D7 preparation?

There is a post further up this thread that says:

Ok thanks. It is the 1D2 (Trailer hitch, removable and lockable) code I have.

Maybe you have a removable tow hitch?

mccp, yeah I saw that, but Maverick said he had the removable tow bar too. I was told it was just the prep. I've just sussed it though. There was a query re: the prep, initially they said it wasn't there, and I bought it on that basis cos it wasn't a deal breaker just a nice to have. Subsequently was told it had the prep (hurrah). There were no handbooks in the van at handover but they sourced one - and obviously I've been given the wrong handbook ! It has 1D2 listed on the certificate t the front which was what I based my question on, just checked under the seat and there is no 1D code. Presumably there's someone else out there with a towbar with my handbook !. Shame really because everything else was handled well I thought. Anyway its cleared up - your prompt triggered a bit of a brainwave and the mystery is solved.