Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towing with a T6?

M

Max Scarletto

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi All,

Just joined the forum as we are planning to order a T6 Cali Ocean this weekend for delivery next March.
We have had a caravan for many years and it's always been my daydream that the perfect outfit would be a Cali + Caravan combo!!
We usually like to take the caravan down to lake Garda in the summer and the addition of a Cali would make this journey even better!
I would appreciate your experiences of towing with the T6 (caravan MRO 1125kg), I'm inclined to go for the 204ps for the extra torque it offers but is this necessary?
I read the review in CamperVan magazine that said the 204ps was a bit 'scary' to drive..

Hi Max.
You should have no problem towing with your Cali, we have had various caravans over the years, towing with many different vehicles, wife and I bought a
T5 2014 180 bhp manual Cali se 18 months ago, our caravan has a max weight of 1650 kg tows brilliantly, got the best of both worlds luxury on site, and when we are out and about, roof up kettle on cooking on board if required, had many comments of how flexible the unit we own is. We owned a Mercedes ml 280 previously, fuel consumption is better towing with the Cali. We have a detachable tow bar, a 510 head unit of which when electrics first connected shows a picture of your a frame attached to your vehicle, also be aware electrics should be fitted by a fitter who knows about VW Cali's, because if not wired correctly it will have a impact on rear brake balance, I think there is a thread on this forum relating to this,
Hope this info helps. Good Luck .
Regards
California Kid.

Thanks for the info!
What do think about the 150bhp version? I could save a few bob (and spend it on accessories)!!

Hi Max.
I have not driven a 150 or a 204 so can not really comment myself, what I would do is see what dealers have in stock and ask for a test drive , you should be able to tell if a 150 has enough power, but do not forget , it is also about power to weight, judging by the weight of your caravan it is lightweight anyway, what make and model is your caravan, sounds like a Bailey or Lunar.

It's a small hymer living, certainly well below the max permissable towing weight for the Cali.

Hi Max.
I would also recommend changing the rear suspension as Calis are known to have a soft rear end, I personally put a set of pedders springs and shock absorbers they come as a kit, and not to expensive, they have totally transformed our Cali when towing and driving solo, unless of course you are thinking of lowering your Cali,we also have 18 inch Dakars on our Cali.thinking of your 150 or 204 bhp, if you went for the 150bhp, you could go for a power upgrade, if buying new I would definitely get your VW dealership do this to make sure everything is in order for your warranty?. Lots to take on board, My Wife and I are extremely happy with our set up, and as said previously this works for us?.
I think if you went for a 150 bhp with a power upgrade I am sure that will bring you in the region of a 180 bhp still leaving you with extra cash for some extras, that work for you.

I previously owned a T5 140ps DSG conversion and towed a boat (c.1900kg) and found it a superb tow vehicle. We have a T6 150ps DSG Cali on order with factory towbar. Hoping/expecting our new chariot to be at least as good.

"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so"

Just pulled the best of half ton back from London.
204 bi-turbo 2wd - 37 MPG avg displayed.

It was effortless

53180F4B-AAEB-4EF9-9E78-3F06D6B3FB81.jpeg

I drive a 204 4 mo and tow an Eriba caravan behind it.

Only downside is being unable to open the tailgate with the Eriba hitched, otherwise they are a dream combination. Our Eriba Has an MTPLM of 1400 kg and with two bicycles loaded on the front and the tow-ball bike rack plus awning in the rear it's often well loaded. Tow it on an open road or bowl along a motorway and you will easily forget there's a caravan on the back.

In terms of power match I would think the 150 would be more than adequate but I would suggest you think about what you are towing on to and off. Three weeks ago on very wet grass and mud my Cali pulled the caravan off effortlessly but sadly not everyone else had the same experience, much to the chagrin of the site warden who saw his neatly manicured grass field reduced to a replica WW1 battlefield in minutes :shocked

7955C4D0-93A1-4D8F-8A9A-1B7D9B5FD330.jpeg

Last edited:
We are struggling with the confined space in our Cali and was wondering if we could tow a small base camp Caravan with it. It's a 150ps dsg. I have read post saying never tow with a Cali or buy one which had towed !!! Love some feed back

We are struggling with the confined space in our Cali and was wondering if we could tow a small base camp Caravan with it. It's a 150ps dsg. I have read post saying never tow with a Cali or buy one which had towed !!! Love some feed back

Sounds like nonsense.
A California is based on a commercial vehicle. Its designed to haul stuff. Just look at a 7 seat version of the Beach.
Loaded, its pulling a lot of weight.

Whoever said that?

I have happily towed with two California's. It's a Transporter at heart, a working commercial vehicle designed for hauling all sorts of loads. A caravan on the back does nowt wrong for it.

I have a 6.1 Coast, 150 with DSG and bought an Eriba 430 (not too dissimilar to the Base Camp I recall) a few months ago for space and convenience; The Coast came with towbar preparation and I had my local VW garage fit the towbar. No issues towing at all, easy and very happy with the set up; and given my confidence in the Cali I’ve just ordered a new Eriba, but the next size up (530).
02927144-7490-42F6-AD94-D5175297BB46.jpeg

If you want a base camp then check it's build date. Hundreds were built with a flaw in the bonding causing massive water leaks. Swift have attempted a recall of sorts but it's likely a lot have been missed. Also there was a water heater problem resulting in the water tank emptying itself all over the place. Now fixed but another cess-pit waiting to be dropped into.

If you want a base camp then check it's build date. Hundreds were built with a flaw in the bonding causing massive water leaks. Swift have attempted a recall of sorts but it's likely a lot have been missed. Also there was a water heater problem resulting in the water tank emptying itself all over the place. Now fixed but another cess-pit waiting to be dropped into.
Well the one i want is the Eriba touring really

Well the one i want is the Eriba touring really

Narrower than the base camp. Beautifully built, if rather staid. My Sister has had three and brilliant to tow. She has a 420 as it's only her on her own and the 420 makes into a superb large double bed. We use it as her bedroom, our dining room and the Dog's kennel.

Soon to be changing to a Knaus sport and fun, mostly because we have a big project to undertake next year for which the Knaus, with it's ability to carry bicycles inside, would be ideal for.

I've been towing stuff around for years and whilst I've haven't towed a caravan with a Cali, I have towed a loaded Race Shuttle enclosed car trailer on several occasions. Whilst more power and 4motion are always useful when towing, especially when pulling away uphill on a steep gradient, I've haven't experienced any issues towing this fairly weighty combo (18 - 1900kgs) with a fwd 150 ps manual Beach. On those occasions it proved to be a great tow vehicle.