Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tracker suggestions please

Most thefts, that then require tracking,are using keys taken from the house.

So immobilised should be the first step in your defence strategy.
Far less are towed or lifted and requires a different type or category of theif.

Did you not want a tracker device?

From what I understand, the Ghost product is a immobiliser device.

So if the van is towed away, then you will not know where it is or been taken to.

Am I missing something here?
Not missing anything. Vehicle cannot be started unless you have both the code and keys.
Nothing to stop it being towed or lifted away.

Then you can lock the van and not worry about it getting wet. Stash a key fob in the van.

No chance...!!!
Insurance void, still the possibility of the van not being there when I get out.
Hence why the extra protection Ghost gives is so appealing.

I would never leave my keys hidden or stashed inside the van.
£60k + these vans cost. I wouldn’t risk it

No chance...!!!
Insurance void, still the possibility of the van not being there when I get out.
Hence why the extra protection Ghost gives is so appealing.

I would never leave my keys hidden or stashed inside the van.
£60k + these vans cost. I wouldn’t risk it
It was just a tip for the surfer guy who wanted to keep his keys dry. You could use a stoplock also and have 2 keys in the sea that dont mind getting wet. But you are correct although I don't see how they start it if the key blade is missing from the fob.

It was just a tip for the surfer guy who wanted to keep his keys dry. You could use a stoplock also and have 2 keys in the sea that dont mind getting wet. But you are correct although I don't see how they start it if the key blade is missing from the fob.

The blade is the weak link in my opinion.
It’s a hot topic on surf forums.
I have always risked the key getting wet. Yes it’s a pain if it happens (hasn’t happened so far) £300 to sort but I know the vehicle is there after a surf.
The alternative is a dry immobiliser, but no vehicle...

Years ago, I could remove the front vent on the heater on my old 309 and stash the key in there. But the vehicle was £500 and the beaches were a lot safer.
Unfortunately the thieves are more determined, watching with binoculars from afar etc etc :(

The blade is the weak link in my opinion.
It’s a hot topic on surf forums.
I have always risked the key getting wet. Yes it’s a pain if it happens (hasn’t happened so far) £300 to sort but I know the vehicle is there after a surf.
The alternative is a dry immobiliser, but no vehicle...

Years ago, I could remove the front vent on the heater on my old 309 and stash the key in there. But the vehicle was £500 and the beaches were a lot safer.
Unfortunately the thieves are more determined, watching with binoculars from afar etc etc :(

I dropped an Audi key down a blocked drain a few years ago (same design VAG fob as Cali). I managed to lift the drain cover and find the key through the rancid black water and in the mud layer underneath after approx 15 / 20mins. The key fob wasn't effected by the experience at all and worked perfectly well for years after until I sold the car to buy the Cali. No water drained out of it. I haven't stripped one down to confirm but the unit must be sealed (probably with O rings) to have a good level of water resistance.

When doing water sports I always take sensible precautions (keep my keys in an aquapac and keep the aquapac in a dry bag) but am not too worried about the key becoming wet. The main concern for me is dropping it in the sea / river and watching it disappear never to be seen again.

Tracker and ghost combination is best. As for leaving keys in a safe lock - easily overcome with battery powered grinder and as keys were left would be concerned as to insurance response.

Definitely NO to that one...
I may have said this before. But some years back I had one of those lock boxes that I used to attach to my rear spring inside the wheel arch.

A random stranger at Porthcawl carpark opened the combination to the lock in position within about 30seconds.
I was flabbergasted...
It went straight in the bin and I’ve used an Aquapac ever since.

Always makes me laugh, when I see guys attaching these, then walk off 400m down the beach and paddle way out thinking its ok. I’ve warned a few.

There is a product my mate has which is s key safe using a combination lock that he attaches to the towing loop on his vehicle (not a Cali). It looks pretty secure but I’m not sure where it would leave him with respect to his insurance

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com/

Definitely NO to that one...
I may have said this before. But some years back I had one of those lock boxes that I used to attach to my rear spring inside the wheel arch.

A random stranger at Porthcawl carpark opened the combination to the lock in position within about 30seconds.
I was flabbergasted...
It went straight in the bin and I’ve used an Aquapac ever since.

Always makes me laugh, when I see guys attaching these, then walk off 400m down the beach and paddle way out thinking its ok. I’ve warned a few.

I wasn’t convinced; I carry my key with me in/on the water. I believe I’m right in thinking that worst case scenario, the key gets wet but the blade will manually open the door and the passive chip will allow the engine to start; it’s just the remote part that would need replacement.

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com/