Traffic Sign Recognition.

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Is this T6.1 option any use? How does it work?

I had the system in my Mercedes and it did work very well. Assume it’s the same technology in the VW. Camera on front reads a speed limit sign which then gets displayed on the dash (on the Merc also on the Sat Nav screen). Useful reminder if you have missed a sign using your mince pies.

Yep. Explained really well by GG. Got it on our Passat. Nice to have but is it worth £270?

Probably not. Have had it in later Volvos and to be honest only tells you exactly what your eyes (should) do.

As an aside, the hardware is already in the van, so surely this type of option is solely software based? Surely doesn’t take much to switch it on if you didn’t spec it originally? Does anyone have any knowledge about how this could be achieved??

Probably not. Have had it in later Volvos and to be honest only tells you exactly what your eyes (should) do.

As an aside, the hardware is already in the van, so surely this type of option is solely software based? Surely doesn’t take much to switch it on if you didn’t spec it originally? Does anyone have any knowledge about how this could be achieved??
That’s a good point and it seems crazy that even with the top Discover Pro System you still don’t get this. Saying that, I’m pretty sure we didn’t spec it on our Passat but it’s there anyway!???

That’s a good point and it seems crazy that even with the top Discover Pro System you still don’t get this. Saying that, I’m pretty sure we didn’t spec it on our Passat but it’s there anyway!???
I have a 2018 eGolf with Discover Pro. Didn’t spec traffic sign recognition but using a combination of camera and GPS the car still tells us to slow down when approaching a 30mph zone etc (in fact it starts doing it on its own unaided). With semi-autonomous driving in mind most manufacturers have already equipped cars with the necessary hardware (ie camera system and GPS enabled satnav) which makes me think some of these ‘options’ are just a software update away (to be retro-activated in case future legislation makes them necessary) - so definitely not worth the extra £££ right now.

They do work, had it a Mercedes but it was standard. Inherited in the Kodiaq I have now which as the Discovery pro in it, had a audible alarm which I had to turn off. Useful but you should really know. Some of the newer sat nav mapping has it so it will tell you limit on the Map. In a nutshell I wouldn’t spec it.

Does it read signs on both sides of the road ? ie, if you take a RHD van to Europe, will it still be looking for signs on the LH, or does the camera sweep the whole field of view I wonder?

Yep. Explained really well by GG. Got it on our Passat. Nice to have but is it worth £270?
No, it’s just coding because the camera is already there.
On my Audi it’s a simple mod recode to enable it. I would thing another VAG car wouldn’t be that difficult.

My question would be; Does it actively adjust the ACC?
On my Volvo you can have either automatic cruise control or speed limiting active. The road sign recognition isn't linked to the ACC, but can be linked to the speed limiter. Not sure why it's one and not the other but I suspect it may be down to safety concerns surrounding the vehicle's ability to increase speed without the driver necessarily being aware.

Does it read signs on both sides of the road ? ie, if you take a RHD van to Europe, will it still be looking for signs on the LH, or does the camera sweep the whole field of view I wonder?
On my previous car (Mercedes) it took in the field of view, so both sides of the road.

I have this on my BMW, it's nice to have but I don't trust it 100% so it then becomes useless - it has been known to read the little speed limit roundels on the back of trucks, or pick up signs on motorway slip roads, and of course if the sign is obscured as you pass (maybe you're passing a lorry) it won't read it and will continue showing the previous limit.

My previous car used a GPS based system which seemed more reliable but is of course only as good as the database behind it.

Not sure I'd pay extra for it (in fact, I know I wouldn't as it wasn't in the configuration I was going to order) but my California has it fitted anyway and I'm not upset to have it.

Back