Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Trailer tent, on same pitch?

BoomTriker

BoomTriker

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi, I have a small folding camper that I usually tow behind my trike... Would I be able to set it up where an awning would go? Has anyone any experience of this?

I'm sure you'll get posts saying Yes & No, but ultimately it will depend on the Campsite Term & Conditions.
A campsite charging for the pitch + each person = probably Yes.
A campsite just charging for the pitch = probably No.

Try asking at a caravan club site just for the reaction - its the sort of thing that would send the warden into meltdown, you would have to book 2 pitches with no guarantee that you would get 2 side by side. I've asked previously.

On the other hand if you want to put your range rover + 21 ft twin axle van + 7ft wide awning + anex to the awning each end + spare car for the wife to get to the toilet block in + fence off the bit adjacent to your pitch to let your 4 dogs run loose that will be fine.

On the other hand if you want to put your range rover + 21 ft twin axle van + 7ft wide awning + anex to the awning each end + spare car for the wife to get to the toilet block in + fence off the bit adjacent to your pitch to let your 4 dogs run loose that will be fine.

But would you want to be on the same campsite near that lot?

Hopefully, there are campsites around that say here's your site x m2 and so long as you fit within that (and pay per person / dog) all is good... I'm being far to idealistic I fear.

Always knocking the caravan club, never had a problem with my caravan and Cali on a club site even when my 26 year old son has stayed in the Cali.

Also many good memories of Caravan club sites when we holidayed as a family many moons ago. My dad used to seek out the quieter ones and I don't recall any problems. However this was in the days when a two car household was a rarity...

The comments above apply to any campsite I'm sure.

Hi, I have a small folding camper that I usually tow behind my trike... Would I be able to set it up where an awning would go? Has anyone any experience of this?
Are the respondents above clear what is being asked here? Im not.
Is the requirement to park a 'folding camper' (trailer tent?) next to a Cali? If so, just book as a car and caravan, having checked that the site has conventional side by side pitches. I can't see it's much different to turning up with a volvo and a trailer tent.

Does he want take the Cali, his Trike and a trailer tent and put it all on one pitch?

Does he want take the Cali, his Trike and a trailer tent and put it all on one pitch?
I just wondered if I could tow my trailer behind my Cali, set it beside the van, thus giving me 2 extra berths for little extra space taken up.

Most pitching problems come from the 6 metre fire gap rule. I would think that this may fall foul of that rule if we are talking Cali, trike and trailer tent.

No trike, just one van, + one trailer.

So, it will look like a car and caravan set up, only the 'car' will have roof up and folk sleeping in it overnight.
Some money grabbing sites will want to charge for 2 units.
If you kip with the roof down, you'll have fewer objections (tell them you all sleep in the trailer tent, and use the Cali cooker etc on days out).

As Welshgas says, I think the answer will depend on campsite rules. I had a similar query with CCC and the issue for them is that if you are using the Cali for sleeping in it becomes part of the camping unit and is therefore subject to their 6m rule (for fire regs) so both units would have to fit within the pitch size. Towing vehicles do not 'count' as far as this is concerned, hence why the big caravans towed by 4x4's get away with it.

Campsites are businesses and at the end of the day have to make a profit to provide facilities, developments, business rates, taxes and salaries to the staff they employ.
So they are going to maximise their profits, especially if they are running at full capacity during high days and holidays. Sleeping in a California and sleeping in a Caravan or trailer tent as well means more people than one camper or caravan so if the site charges by people fine if not they will charge by sleeping arrangement. If the site has a 6m rule for sleeping accomodation then you either accept that or not and go elsewhere. In the final analysis all you can do is ask.
The alternative is a Drive Away awning with sleeping accomodation carried in a small trailer.

Back