Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Trailer

J

johns6809

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Does anyone tow a trailer with their Cali when going to campsites? The amount of stuff my wife seems to think we are going to need i may need to hook ours up.

Insurance factor that I never realised until speaking to my insurer once. Safeguard.

When you have the towbar declared as a modification any trailer up to 750kgs Grosse weight is covered when attached but any trailer with more than that weight has to be independently insured.

Insurance factor that I never realised until speaking to my insurer once. Safeguard.

When you have the towbar declared as a modification any trailer up to 750kgs Grosse weight is covered when attached but any trailer with more than that weight has to be independently insured.
Insured for what? Recovery or accidental damage or what? The Insurance should cover the vehicle which is one vehicle when towing on the highway. The only issue I can see would be if the gross vehicle weight was greater than your licence entitles you to drive, given that a T6 can tow 2500Kg and can weigh 3200 Kg meaning someone with the newer B licence is well above their entitlement. The 750Kg limit on a T6 is for an unbraked trailer.

I tow an erde 102 with a mesh top extension and cover, tows fine and you can see the top in the rear mirror for reversing. You can get some serious stuff in it but we only use it for festivals when we are in one place for a couple of days or more.
Also you can lash a bike on top for a bit of extra storage

Does anyone tow a trailer with their Cali when going to campsites? The amount of stuff my wife seems to think we are going to need i may need to hook ours up.
Yep, have done. Usually when we are going 4 up and fully laden for an extended stay. Awning, a couple of sups, fire pit, etc, etc. and 4 MTB on top - swallows it all up and keeps the van relatively clear. We have an Ansemms GT500-181-HT - perfect size and a brilliant trailer, not the cheapest but hold their value well for good reason.

Yep, have done. Usually when we are going 4 up and fully laden for an extended stay. Awning, a couple of sups, fire pit, etc, etc. and 4 MTB on top - swallows it all up and keeps the van relatively clear. We have an Ansemms GT500-181-HT - perfect size and a brilliant trailer, not the cheapest but hold their value well for good reason.
Lovely trailer that is i must say!
I Have a German Koch trailer 8ft x 5ft internal 750kg unbraked A little bit too large for camping duties though.

Insured for what? Recovery or accidental damage or what? The Insurance should cover the vehicle which is one vehicle when towing on the highway. The only issue I can see would be if the gross vehicle weight was greater than your licence entitles you to drive, given that a T6 can tow 2500Kg and can weigh 3200 Kg meaning someone with the newer B licence is well above their entitlement. The 750Kg limit on a T6 is for an unbraked trailer.
As stated the Insurer made it clear that any trailer would be covered if a) the towbar has been declared b) the trailer is no more than 750kgs grosse.
Trailers above that weight would have no damage etc claim possibility on the towing vehicles insurance.
Verification best done with specific Insurer.

You have gone off on a tangent with train weights etc.

As stated the Insurer made it clear that any trailer would be covered if a) the towbar has been declared b) the trailer is no more than 750kgs grosse.
Trailers above that weight would have no damage etc claim possibility on the towing vehicles insurance.
Verification best done with specific Insurer.

You have gone off on a tangent with train weights etc.
Get a different insurer in that case

Back