TransporterHQ LED Headlights - Upgrade

SpuffingtonMe

SpuffingtonMe

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
I thought this might be useful for some folk.

When I bought my Knaus BoxDrive 600XL last year, the one thing I was unhappy with from the outset was the headlights. Having owned a T6 (Westfalia KeplerOne) with halogens whilst living in Germany and having tried to navigate the Austrian Alps at night, I knew I would have to do something about removing the stock headlights and improving them. The rest of the van was a super spec, so not to be missed.

I looked at HazyDayz and their list of OEM upgrades. However, having just dropped £96k on the van itself, the thought of spending another £3.5k was a little unappetising. So I thought I'd keep that as a backup plan if Plan A didn't work. Plan A then was TransporterHQ's own LED headlight upgrade which at £600 (then - I think they're a little more expensive now), seemed like a good starting point.

9ABA0A13-14AC-49BC-8CDF-750B50372D24_1_201_a.jpeg

Initially, although being handy at home DIY but not hugely technically minded with vehicles, I decided to get my friendly Auto Electrician on the case. He installed the lights but couldn't get them to work - one worked perfectly, the other kept skipping between sidelights & main beam. Initially thinking it was the Light Control Module which wasn't probably relayed, he added a relay to that - still didn't fix the issue. The lights are supposed to be plug & play so I called TransporterHQ and after a lot of head-scratching but genuinely within 24hrs of calling, they decided it could be an issue with the lights themselves. They sent me a new set and two days later they arrived - I tested them with the old ones in situ (i.e resting them on the existing lights and just plugging new ones in) and voila(!) - they worked! :)

Being an impatient so & so, I decided to give it a go myself. TransporterHQ had put a really useful YouTube tutorial on about how to remove the Crafter/TGE bumper and headlights, so I used that as my guide and within 90mins I had everything done. No warning lights, faults or flickering.

IMG_7681.jpeg

I'm now 1.5yrs on and I can thoroughly recommend them. I don't think they are quite as bright as OEM LED headlights, there are small dark patches which perhaps you wouldn't be there in factory units but overall they're an enormous improvement over halogens, particularly on high beam - plus they really look the part. I kind of felt the halogens look cheap, whereas these are really quite special.

Do I feel the need to go for OEM lights? Absolutely not. These really have been a super upgrade and I'd recommend them to anyone who is looking for brighter lights and better aesthetics.

04A9AED3-55AB-4F07-B98D-DF56FF2D87EA_1_201_a.jpeg3A049EC4-C2D8-4262-89D6-1EA7C783BA09.jpeg

Luckily for me the previous owner of my 600 went down the Hazydayz route, but on my previous T6.1 I had the Transporter HQ LED Headlight units fitted and the difference was quite literally night and day!

I thought this might be useful for some folk.

When I bought my Knaus BoxDrive 600XL last year, the one thing I was unhappy with from the outset was the headlights. Having owned a T6 (Westfalia KeplerOne) with halogens whilst living in Germany and having tried to navigate the Austrian Alps at night, I knew I would have to do something about removing the stock headlights and improving them. The rest of the van was a super spec, so not to be missed.

I looked at HazyDayz and their list of OEM upgrades. However, having just dropped £96k on the van itself, the thought of spending another £3.5k was a little unappetising. So I thought I'd keep that as a backup plan if Plan A didn't work. Plan A then was TransporterHQ's own LED headlight upgrade which at £600 (then - I think they're a little more expensive now), seemed like a good starting point.

View attachment 129925

Initially, although being handy at home DIY but not hugely technically minded with vehicles, I decided to get my friendly Auto Electrician on the case. He installed the lights but couldn't get them to work - one worked perfectly, the other kept skipping between sidelights & main beam. Initially thinking it was the Light Control Module which wasn't probably relayed, he added a relay to that - still didn't fix the issue. The lights are supposed to be plug & play so I called TransporterHQ and after a lot of head-scratching but genuinely within 24hrs of calling, they decided it could be an issue with the lights themselves. They sent me a new set and two days later they arrived - I tested them with the old ones in situ (i.e resting them on the existing lights and just plugging new ones in) and voila(!) - they worked! :)

Being an impatient so & so, I decided to give it a go myself. TransporterHQ had put a really useful YouTube tutorial on about how to remove the Crafter/TGE bumper and headlights, so I used that as my guide and within 90mins I had everything done. No warning lights, faults or flickering.

View attachment 129928

I'm now 1.5yrs on and I can thoroughly recommend them. I don't think they are quite as bright as OEM LED headlights, there are small dark patches which perhaps you wouldn't be there in factory units but overall they're an enormous improvement over halogens, particularly on high beam - plus they really look the part. I kind of felt the halogens look cheap, whereas these are really quite special.

Do I feel the need to go for OEM lights? Absolutely not. These really have been a super upgrade and I'd recommend them to anyone who is looking for brighter lights and better aesthetics.

View attachment 129926View attachment 129927
I've ordered some thanks!!

Let me know how you get on with them! :)

I went for the super bright LEDs.
yeah they are amazing, ordered them on Monday, they arrived yesterday and fitted today, very simple to install, I havent tried them at night but even in the day they look way more powerful than the standard units (I went with the HQ7 LED bulbs too).