Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side light led upgrade?

B

Bjohnson

VIP Member
Just upgraded the headlights to the night breaker cool white upgrade from the Cali store, to match my new LED DRL's.

Now it's obvious the small side lights in the headlamp need replacing with an led to match.

Has anyone done this already and has the product details before I start searching the web?

Thanks

I would like to see a picture of your led drl's :thumb

T5WOB said:
done my ones long time ago got them from vanx at a show .have done HID high beam low beam and fog lights to :eek:

Thanks, vanx came up on a search but they are out of stock at the moment.. I'll order with them as soon as they are back in.

As usual, always handy to check here first.

:thanks

Calikev said:
I would like to see a picture of your led drl's :thumb

Here you go, Cali needs a wash, but you get the idea....!

3BFC4B73-581C-48E5-8447-BB9359BEE046_zps711z6w5r.jpg

Hi, did anyone have the spec for each of the lights and sources so they match the DRLs?

Finally got round to ordering and fitting the LED sidelights to match the remainder of my headlight upgrades.

The sidelights were original and had the orange hue to them. Previous advice in this thread was to order via VanX but they've been constantly out of stock, so I researched and ordered via the web.

The sidelights are 12V W5W items, so I ordered Osram W5W LED 4000K from "power bulbs.com" a twin pack was £19.99.
http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/w5w-led-driving-4000k-warm-white-twin

These aren't "canbus error free" types as I've seen reference to on various web forums and they have been fitted and work fine (so far).

They also aren't the cheapest on the web, but they are a close match in terms of size and shape to the originals - some of the LED lamps I've seen look a bit big to fit well.

I also ordered 4000k which are apparently "warm white" the reason for this is that the upgraded headlamps already fitted (Osram night breaker extreme) are also 4000k colour temperature so I wanted a match. I wasn't sure how these would look as the description 'warm white' didn't seem to match the 'cool white' or more white/ slight blue appearance you get from LED lamps.

Having fitted the items, they are a good colour match and are pretty bright compared to the original sidelights.

By the way, the sidelight bulbs are a bit awkward to get in and out. Remove the headlight lamp first then sidelight is pulled out of the back of the headlamp assembly. Lamp is a simple push fit in the holder, the reinsert into headlamp assembly.

You need tiny double jointed hands and fingers to get the side light holder in and out :crazy

Hope this helps anyone else who is upgrading their headlights

Back