Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LED Headlights in Europe

Nottledim

Nottledim

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Do you need to stick beam deflectors on LED headlights when driving in Europe or do the magic electronics that control the lights allow you to adjust the beam settings when driving on the left?

I have just ordered an Ocean with them on the spec.

Thanks

I raised this with the dealer when ordering. Apparently the LED headlights have a much flatter beam spread than regular halogens and do not kick-up on the near side. So you do not need to fit deflectors - you should not dazzle incoming drivers.

He demonstrated this in the showroom as he had a California with LEDs parked next to a Caravelle with halogens - both facing the showroom wall. He turned on the headlamps on both and the difference in the pattern was marked with an almost flat beam from the LEDs and a big kick-up from the halogens.

If you search around the forum you will also find other threads discussing this at length for both LEDs and Xenons. From recollection the Xenons have two settings so you need to get them set to a flat beam once and then you don't need to worry about it. But the LEDs always have a flat beam so are OK regardless.

I'm picking mine up next week so I'll re-confirm.

Thanks for the info and I will look out the other threads.

Hi there,
Apparently if you go into settings and select 'travelling mode' (i think); the LEDs are set up for driving on the continent. J.

Thanks Jason. I will have a look when we get delivery in June (I hope)

Hi

Just been on the phone to order continental Headlight Adjusters for our new T6 Ocean with bog-standard Halogen lamps. I assumed I would need to buy plastic cover for each light and then fix on the black stickies to avoid dazzling other drivers when driving abroad. However I have been told that I will not need any converters at all as the lens is designed to give a flat beam which has no Left or Right bias. I was told that this is like the new Golf Mk 7. Is this correct? The conversation above is about LED headlights and my Ocean has Halogen bulbs.

Jonathan

Hi

Just been on the phone to order continental Headlight Adjusters for our new T6 Ocean with bog-standard Halogen lamps. I assumed I would need to buy plastic cover for each light and then fix on the black stickies to avoid dazzling other drivers when driving abroad. However I have been told that I will not need any converters at all as the lens is designed to give a flat beam which has no Left or Right bias. I was told that this is like the new Golf Mk 7. Is this correct? The conversation above is about LED headlights and my Ocean has Halogen bulbs.

Jonathan

Try parking against a nice flat wall/side of a warehouse and see if there is any "flick up" on the left hand side of the beam. Wouldn't trust anything Vw told me or make sure you get it in writing.

The right hand drive beam pattern kicks up on the near side to help define the side of the road and anything there. I would be very surprised if there is no bias . I have headlight protectors (that fit very easily and securely) with the black stickies that I only use in Europe.
If you are stopped in France without beam adjusters the fine can be quite steep.
:Nailbiting

The right hand drive beam pattern kicks up on the near side to help define the side of the road and anything there. I would be very surprised if there is no bias . I have headlight protectors (that fit very easily and securely) with the black stickies that I only use in Europe.
If you are stopped in France without beam adjusters the fine can be quite steep.

jhgf is asking about a T6.

I understand that. I thought lights bias was a regulatory safety requirement.

Happy to be proved wrong

I understand that. I thought lights bias was a regulatory safety requirement.

Happy to be proved wrong

I think the regulation is that they don't dazzle oncoming motorists, but no doubt a cleverly designed reflector and these new fangled xenons and LED headlights have a flat topped beam that don't need adjusting for continental use.
How you prove that to a French Gendarme on a rainy dark night is another matter!

Snowy 55, the wall test you suggest will show the light pattern very clearly but you need to be a few metres back. Should work for our friends in the Gendarmerie too.

I understand that Xenons and LEDs project the light rather than reflecting it. So stick-on beam deflectors do not work.

Of course we could stick them on anyway just to satisfy (confuse) the local gendarmerie :rolleyes:.

I have a BMW 1 series with xenon lights and I have to use heat resistant foils in Europe. The globe like lens in xenon lights has the same function and effect as the reflectors. They do the same job in a different way.

I have driven all over Europe with "flat" Xenons and never had a problem. The "travel" settings flatten the beam and I would think the same applies ofr LED's.

Sadly my BM doesn't have a travel setting, just forward and reverse. Obviously an out dated model........

I have noticed over the last few years a certain laxity over RHD vehicles headlight deflectors when they are driven in LHD countries, it's troubling.

Remember it's not just about courtesy to others, it's also about protecting yourself. An oncoming vehicle that is dazzled and perhaps hits you head on because of it is going to hurt you badly.

Sadly my BM doesn't have a travel setting, just forward and reverse. Obviously an out dated model........

You asked about the beam settings on the T6 not a BM.

My T5 Xenons were set flat by the dealer, a 5 minute job, and I have had no problem driving in Europe at night.

Do you still need the headlight deflectors if you are travelling in July, daytime only?? No night driving.

Carl,

I would have had that problem last July ... delay with the tunnel, my expected arrival time in Albert went from 2pm to 10pm. If I was driving with no beam adjustment then I would probably have had some quite unamused gendarmes stopping me.

Thanks everyone, yes, best laid plans and all that. I will sort some out. :thumb

Sorry for being thick, but I've only had our new T6 a couple of weeks and not yet needed to drive it at night. I know I did not pay for any headlight upgrade to Xenons but what is the standard T6 headlight. Many of the above messages compare LED with Xenon, so do LEDs come as standard?

jhgf - after seeing the thread this afternoon I had a flick through the manual (still in the kitchen and not back out in the van - sorry HC...) and it clearly states that headlights need adjusting for European travel... I didn't ask for upgrades and am assuming the manual is also referring to vehicles without upgrade...
It would be so handy to be given a list if everything you 'have' got to avoid this endless confusion...

Sorry for being thick, but I've only had our new T6 a couple of weeks and not yet needed to drive it at night. I know I did not pay for any headlight upgrade to Xenons but what is the standard T6 headlight. Many of the above messages compare LED with Xenon, so do LEDs come as standard?
Standard are Halogen. LED are an option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: DM
Back