Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travel to Asia in your Cali

Having driven the length of the Pan-American Highway (28,000 miles all in) in our California, I ought to say the idea of driving to China and back in a month is simply not realistic. We were not hanging around, as many times mentioned by fellow travellers, and it took us 4 months to cover 16,000 miles.

I really would give Ukraine a miss...

Good luck

flyinQ

You'll need a lot longer than 15 days. I've driven in Tajikistan the roads are horrendous even in aToyota 4x4 you can only do limited mileage. Fuel is sold in glass bottles on the side of the road in places

[album]1780[/album]

I've driven overland to Nepal and can concur with others that the original proposal is just not realistic.

Sounds like a great trip and is something I'd love to do. Perhaps when we return to Australia......

My experience from driving in many under-developed countries is that 100 -200 miles/day is a more realistic average. Some roads will be almost impassable while some may have a fresh length of tarmac provided by some country like Japan (for the first 20 miles). Land border crossings can take hours or even days. Disruptions or strife can require big diversions with flow on effects. Driving after dark can be inadvisable or just plain dangerous. The concentration required for driving on very poor and chaotic roads is very tiring and rests are needed. Camping is impossible in most places so there's still the issue of finding safe accommodation every night (and food).

Getting into China may be the least of your concerns (and it can certainly be done, usually guided in some way). Give the trip 2 months and enjoy some scenery. Stop and smell the flowers.

While I applaud the adventure greatly I'm not sure that I'd trust a T5 Cali to get there. A T4 California would (absolutely) but VW do not have the experience of Westfalia when it comes to making reliable campers and, besides, the T5 also signalled a huge drop in reliability of the simple Transporter platform.

I'd convert the roof to manual, use a portable stove (the Chinese kind) and bring a porta potti for a start. Newer Transporters (even original T5) will not have made it to some countries yet so parts may be a problem. We drove 3 continents in our old Mk2 Golf and, though we had no problems at all (they're bullet-proof), we could have got parts almost anywhere.

Factor in the cost of serious Cali repairs before and after the trip and possible long delays waiting for DHL to ship the parts to some guy who's never see the van before and may or may not be a mechanic.

In the end I'd buy an old banger and do the trip. Those old cars (the aforementioned Opels, small buzz boxes etc) have a much better chance than a Cali. They're more reliable in the conditions, easier to fix and less expensive to lose. The idea that one can waft comfortably across the planet in 'Grey-Nomad plimsoles and khaki trousered comfort' is a fantasy. Be prepared to do it rough and be deprived. That's what makes it special, because you had the guts to do it when others merely lived vicariously through your adventure. The harder it is the better the stories.

But hey, after all those words of caution I still say, GO FOR IT. Better to do it than die wondering.

Yes, go for it.............in a Toyota Landcruiser Amazon.

But................be prepared to see lots of animal cruelty,especially in China.

Well - I never thought I'd receive such a response. It is clear that much planning has to be done. I am still convinced that the journey is possible and it would appear a few of you agree. I very much appreciate the comments made by Tulgey, flyingQ, henchard and calligraphy who, despite servere warnings still say ‘go for it’. If GrannyJen is up for 2016 and dayslikethis, johntpowers46 and isa neal would be willing to help plan for 2016, perhaps it could be done.
One does hear stories of stolen vehicles and horrendous breakdowns, but a healthy group able to 'circle the wagons' (including perhaps a person with mechanical knowledge and someone with medical knowledge) should be able to see it through. The progress of the journey is obviously a flexible matter. Clearly however many miles a day will depend on conditions. So one has to be able to be on the road for some time, perhaps up to 3 months or more. Still willing? Let me know.

It appears that there are doubts from some quarters concerning the suitability of the California for this type of adventure.
I have no problems with the capabilities of the California for that sort of journey. We did the aforementioned 28,000 miles through all the Americas in ours and it was as good as we could have had any vehicle - believe me, all 3 parts of the Americas have horrendous roads (yes, USA as well!) and although we saw people with Unimogs, MANs, Steyers and Army Volvos we always got where we wanted to go. Ours is all standard 2 wheel drive with road tyres - not even a potty! The roof went up and down every night and although we had to replace some screws from the mechanism it never failed - and we were travelling for 7 months.
There are things that need modifying for most Californias in the UK, the main one being the particle filter, it is simply not compatible with the poor fuel you will find in underdeveloped parts of the world. There are ways around it, even if they are not compatible with emissions in the EU.
Another essential is NOT having fancy wheels and low profile tyres.
There are plenty of things that can be done to make the California as good as most off-roaders, but the standard vehicle is more than good enough to do this sort of journey.
I hope this helps

flyingQ

USA is No comparison to this trip!

It's not just road surfaces we are talking about!
I could go on all day but I won't.

An idea might be to secure some sort of sponsorship from vw and to make the expedition multi national, with participants from more European countries (and beyond?)
Strength in numbers ?

flyingQ said:
It appears that there are doubts from some quarters concerning the suitability of the California for this type of adventure.
I have no problems with the capabilities of the California for that sort of journey. We did the aforementioned 28,000 miles through all the Americas in ours and it was as good as we could have had any vehicle - believe me, all 3 parts of the Americas have horrendous roads (yes, USA as well!) and although we saw people with Unimogs, MANs, Steyers and Army Volvos we always got where we wanted to go. Ours is all standard 2 wheel drive with road tyres - not even a potty! The roof went up and down every night and although we had to replace some screws from the mechanism it never failed - and we were travelling for 7 months.
There are things that need modifying for most Californias in the UK, the main one being the particle filter, it is simply not compatible with the poor fuel you will find in underdeveloped parts of the world. There are ways around it, even if they are not compatible with emissions in the EU.
Another essential is NOT having fancy wheels and low profile tyres.
There are plenty of things that can be done to make the California as good as most off-roaders, but the standard vehicle is more than good enough to do this sort of journey.
I hope this helps

flyingQ

Have you some photographs or a website that we can look at of your trip?

Might be worth having a chat with the silk route motorhome club: http://www.xor.org.uk/silkroute/

Attended his presentation (not specifically about that journey) at the AO show this year and it was very interesting.

Our blog for the Pan-America Highway (all 15 countries of it) is on http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog/ji ... /tpod.html, as in the strand in this Forum of the same name.
For all it's worth, the support from VW was virtually nil with the very notable exception of Listers of Worcester. Even in the USA there is absolutely nothing for the California or any other form of T5. Listers sent us the parts we needed to Denver. The only countries where there was reasonable service available was Mexico (they assemble the T5 there), I believe some in Colombia, poor in Argentina and good (and expensive) in Chile.

Very entertaining blog!

Listers where very good.

Many thanks
Eric

I agree - what a journey - Clearly the California is up to quite a lot. I will be doing more research into the journey through Asia and contact all those who have shown an interest in going along. In particular GrannyJen, dayslikethis, johntpowers46 and isa neal. Fingers crossed for 2016.

Hiya,

Following this with interest although I don't have a California but a 2006 Hymer B504, we're mere wimps compared to this proposed trip having only reached Asian Turkey on our travels.

Someone did a similar trip in 2007, albeit with a Bilbos T5, could be interesting reading for those contemplating the trip, safe travels to you all if it happens....

http://www.roundtheworld2007.co.uk/home.htm

Pete

Nice...........if only the World didn't turn 'orrible.

Well they wouldn't want to go through Ukraine now, never mind Pakistan........

My travels to Iran where 40 years ago, it was bad because of the road conditions, nobody tried to be-head me! . Plus, I was driving a Wagon that was bigger than most other things.

That's the trouble with old age...........Wisdom.

Do please count me in for further information.
The only problem is that I have a DSG Beach and not a full Cali - will I have to travel at the back? :lol:

Not if it's a4 motion with a difflock!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 motion!! It hasn't even got a wardrobe :cry:

4motion is nothing to do with the toilet department :eek:

Guest said:
I agree - what a journey - Clearly the California is up to quite a lot. I will be doing more research into the journey through Asia and contact all those who have shown an interest in going along. In particular GrannyJen, dayslikethis, johntpowers46 and isa neal. Fingers crossed for 2016.
The above was from me Edward

Our kids are a bit young now but one day...

A small bump for this thread.

Have decided to retire this year and would like to express an interest in this trip before we get too old...
Is there any progress so far?

Alan

Sadly this has been put on hold for a while, hopefully we will have some more news in a few months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just to revive this interesting thread: here is a blog of a couple who are making such a trip in an old T3. See how on the road they meet a couple who do it in an old T2... But they are mechanics! (My point: take a T3 syncro (no electronics!), and an old VW mechanic, and off you go!).

Beautiful blog, albeit in German: http://on-a-journey.de