Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travel to Germany

L

Lorri

T6 204 Ocean
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi. Sorry this has nothing to do with us wanting to take the “van”, but my Biys and his girlfriend intend to travel to Germany 3rd. July to travel around for 10 days.
I’m so confused with what can can’t be done re travel.
Any easy layman’s terms please help

Lorri, a few questions before anyone can answer. How are they planning to get to Germany? How are they planning to travel around Germany?

Lorri, a few questions before anyone can answer. How are they planning to get to Germany? How are they planning to travel around Germany?
As far as I know (son of little words lol) ferry, visiting some racetrack to race his car around and then driving around few places - sounds like camping. Think he’s keeping quiete cause he knows we will tell him NO

Hi. Sorry this has nothing to do with us wanting to take the “van”, but my Biys and his girlfriend intend to travel to Germany 3rd. July to travel around for 10 days.
I’m so confused with what can can’t be done re travel.
Any easy layman’s terms please help
Currently German borders appear to be open and German Campsites are also open with Toilets and showers in most. Campsites are providing various Covid plans and supplying disinfectants.

If you are arriving in France on the ferry. You were required to fill out an Attestation form I think this has now been discontinued especially for transiting.

I have been informed that facemasks are required in social areas.
On return to the UK at this moment you will have to fill out a form not more than 48 hours before your return to say you will self isolate and provide an address and contact where this will take place.
See here https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk

It seems rules and regs can be updated and change on a daily basis. So you need to keep checking and sometimes there is conflicting or grey information.

As far as I know (son of little words lol) ferry, visiting some racetrack to race his car around and then driving around few places - sounds like camping. Think he’s keeping quiete cause he knows we will tell him NO

Ha ha! so first things first - racing is a good thing. He is doing a good thing by going to drive his car (most probably around Nurbergring). Good lad :thumb

Campandfly has already provided good information.

The challenges he may face
a) Ferry and the Chunnel trains are running. He should get across soon. Have heard a few stories of people being asked if their travel is "essential", but have not heard of anyone being turned back.
b) borders are open - so he should be able to get in to Germany and also travel around. Though heard that campsites are not open at full-capacity. He may have challenges finding camp sites.
c) when he returns, as of now, he will need to self-isolate.

But they will be fine on travel. Maybe a bit more checks etc. ... ask him to send you some pics of his car around the Nurbergring that you can post on here :happy

@campandfly has nailed it above.

We are now on Phase 9 of the lockdown exit strategy, Phase 10
comes out on the 23rd June.
You can do stuff and there are camper vans and
caravans moving around but its far from the normal that was.

Campsites must be booked in advance also hotels and pensions.
Wearing of masks is mandatory apart from outside in the open and once
you are sat at a table in a restaurant or pub, go for a p1ss, put your mask on.etc etc..

Swimming pools have a distance of 3m, so that isn't appealing, in general
the distance is 1.5m.

If you go to a restaurant or pub, you must give your details so that
you can be traced.
This info is held for 4 weeks.

It changes each time, ever so slightly.

Ha ha! so first things first - racing is a good thing. He is doing a good thing by going to drive his car (most probably around Nurbergring). Good lad :thumb

Campandfly has already provided good information.

The challenges he may face
a) Ferry and the Chunnel trains are running. He should get across soon. Have heard a few stories of people being asked if their travel is "essential", but have not heard of anyone being turned back.
b) borders are open - so he should be able to get in to Germany and also travel around. Though heard that campsites are not open at full-capacity. He may have challenges finding camp sites.
c) when he returns, as of now, he will need to self-isolate.

But they will be fine on travel. Maybe a bit more checks etc. ... ask him to send you some pics of his car around the Nurbergring that you can post on here :happy
Thank you. Yes I will post pictures when able.

Currently German borders appear to be open and German Campsites are also open with Toilets and showers in most. Campsites are providing various Covid plans and supplying disinfectants.

If you are arriving in France on the ferry. You were required to fill out an Attestation form I think this has now been discontinued especially for transiting.

I have been informed that facemasks are required in social areas.
On return to the UK at this moment you will have to fill out a form not more than 48 hours before your return to say you will self isolate and provide an address and contact where this will take place.
See here https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk

It seems rules and regs can be updated and change on a daily basis. So you need to keep checking and sometimes there is conflicting or grey information.
Thank you

@campandfly has nailed it above.

We are now on Phase 9 of the lockdown exit strategy, Phase 10
comes out on the 23rd June.
You can do stuff and there are camper vans and
caravans moving around but its far from the normal that was.

Campsites must be booked in advance also hotels and pensions.
Wearing of masks is mandatory apart from outside in the open and once
you are sat at a table in a restaurant or pub, go for a p1ss, put your mask on.etc etc..

Swimming pools have a distance of 3m, so that isn't appealing, in general
the distance is 1.5m.

If you go to a restaurant or pub, you must give your details so that
you can be traced.
This info is held for 4 weeks.

It changes each time, ever so slightly.
Thank you

One thing - he should check both his car and travel insurance to see if they are still valid. UK Gov ie Foreign Office is still advising against all international travel and there seems to be some confusion how this is affecting these insurances.

One thing - he should check both his car and travel insurance to see if they are still valid. UK Gov ie Foreign Office is still advising against all international travel and there seems to be some confusion how this is affecting these insurances.
Have passed this on to call them and check.